Middle Northwich Re-union?

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

I actually had a pint with Mike and Cath last week and he said that he thought Leonids was a houseboat in the Rickmansworth (Springwell?) area. So some confusion somewhere. I remember it on the limejiuce run so it certainly existed up to 1980 when I think it then went to Malcoilm Burge (Captain Cargo/South Midland) until he started his Josher thing.

Paul H

Leonids was very much in existence in the very late eighties with an under cloth partial conversion. I learned how to butty steer on her when she was working with Hesperus. She was moored at Stoke Bruerne outside Dave Blagrove's place for a good few years

Delirium

I actually had a pint with Mike and Cath last week and he said that he thought Leonids was a houseboat in the Rickmansworth (Springwell?) area. So some confusion somewhere. I remember it on the limejiuce run so it certainly existed up to 1980 when I think it then went to Malcoilm Burge (Captain Cargo/South Midland) until he started his Josher thing.

Paul H

I obviously mis-read his message. I'll have alook on some websites for Leonids to try and find out some more information. The owner of Kestrel/Triagulum, Chris Pink, has just been in contact and will hopefully be able to attend the re-union.

Kind Regards

Matt Parrott

Leonids is fully steel cabined and motorised with a hydraulic drive in the 'elum.

Are you certain it's steel? I remember it being fitted with an all new wooden superstructure, with an 'under cloths' conversion, completed less than 10 years ago. Very nicely done too. I also recall him building a new ram's head from a used railway sleeper. I've been aboard and had a cup of tea with the then owner. Not seen it for perhaps 7 years so things might have changed.

I thought all the butties survive except Thoth ..... Paul H

What became of Thoth?

Edited by Hairy-Neil

She has a Steel cabin, i remember the under cloths cabin it was very nice, the steel cabin is not pleasing, specially as the boat appears to have been twisted during construction. The cabin goes from the back cabin to the tee stud with the front a bit like a forecabin. Gunwhales vary from nil to about 1.5 inches. Its sad in my view to spoil such a nice boat... i am biased because i am just starting to remove the cabin on my Bantock and replace it with a wood half-length under cloths cabin. Old boats die when the have steel boxes put on them, thats what I think anyway.

Thanks for the up to date information, I stand corrected. A lot can happen in 7 years.....

Buttys don't have gunwales, probably as there was no call for access to an engine room....

Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist out-pedanting the pedant.

Of course they do, all the way along the hold, 5" x 2" oak by specification, 5" x 2" cedar (or possibly oregan pine, can't tell) on mine for some reason.

The fact that the gunwales (the cabin has been welded to the hold sides no wood) varies in this way is because a straight sided box has been fitted to a buckled boat, not 'gunwales' in the usual sense but a varying gap between the angle of the side of the hold and the steel cabin.

Leonids is fully steel cabined and motorised with a hydraulic drive in the 'elum. Normally at Springwell near Ricky but I think its elsewhere at the moment.

She certainly headed north on the GU over the summer for what appeared to be a family holiday, and returned passing us at Marsworth. So she is mobile.

If Tim or yourself produce a flyer to advertise the reunion, i'm sure someone could drop it into them when passing.

Simon.

As I recall it was for sale on Boatfinder about 18 months back, I thought it a fair price at the time round about £70k but the interior needed upgrading in parts. It was moored at Preston Brook dry dock for a while in Sept when mine was in for blacking, engine sounded wonderfull

Charles

I though I had kept the file, what a boat and engine

Charles

Sextans2.jpg

Sextans-1.jpg