Horn with a cold?

StoneHenge

Featured Posts

This weekend we took a trip to the other end of the Ashby, as we hadn't been right to the end where it actually ends.

Anyway, just before the last two bridges, there is a tunnel, and when we ventured in, I gave the horn a few blasts (details in my blog). Last time and on all previous occasions when using the horn, it sounded like a rather pathetic car horn, quite a high pitched beep.

When I sounded it on Sunday it sounded more like a steam train horn, rather impressive. We have not changed it, but I wondered if there were any factors which effected the sound of the horn (hot, cold, bunged up with something, polish???).

I am no phizzywizzisist, so I have no idea at all, but I rather hope it stays like it as I rather like it. Rather a lot actually!

Hi Angela,

I think the prognosis is the same as I experienced. We bought our boat and noticed that the horn sounded more like an automotive horn than an nautical horn, we too had times when it did sound rather impressive, but in the end, a gnats f**t would sound louder.

I replaced the offending item with an Ongaro #304 Stainless Steel jobby. I must admit that when I am up front and Heather sounds the horn the loudness makes me jump out of my skin.

Edited by Byeckerslike

Horns use a lot of current and are invariably 'under wired' on boats, when the engine is running it will however get an extra volt or so, they can be adjusted sometimes even from the outside have a look for what looks like an adjuster screw, but more likely the 'points' inside have got a bit contaminated..

The more you use it the better it gets, I use mine an awful lot, blind bridges, passing moored boats attracting peoples attention, especially at night.

On my present boat I have an original Klaxon, when I found it lying around in the stores where I worked it was fitted with a 230v motor, managed to fit a 12v one after a bit of messing. It does suffer in a similar way to other types, gets a bit bunged up over the winter. Lots and lots of use sorts it out.

Thanks for the info. I actually like the horn the way it is now, so I assume if I leave it alone and don't do anything else to it, it should stay the same?

Knowing me, if I tried adjusting it, it will more than likely turn out to sound something like Elmo, and we don't want that thanks! I'll just have to be very careful when polishing not to mess anything up!

What? And keep the spiders awake?

(The ones inside the horn, bunging it up)

Yours got SPIDERS????

Never heard of that. Cr*bs yeah but not spiders. not used enough.... :cheers:

OK Coat I guess...

My little octopedal pals must be living somewhere, or else why is the cratch always covered in webs?

(on second thoughts - perhaps they're in the tunnel light?)

Anyway, thanks to OP and early replies I'll be dismantling the horn later this week, as it's currently about as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm.

Ian

Horns come very near top of the pain in the arse list, we now fit a cheap plastic car types the ones we used to fit chrome and brass trumpet type ones that cost a fortune nearly all failed within 12 months and I was driven mad stripping them down getting them working and then having the inevitable phone call the following week to say it wasn't working again.

Did some mention making noise?

- Emilyannes whistle causes PAIN to anyone within four feet, and has been heard at a distance of about 5miles though hills.

- It is a very pleasant sound however, and we do our best not to abuse our abilty. Most of us do anyway, theres always one!

http://www.emilyanne.co.uk/gallerys/videos/

Daniel

On my present boat I have an original Klaxon, when I found it lying around in the stores where I worked it was fitted with a 230v motor, managed to fit a 12v one after a bit of messing. It does suffer in a similar way to other types, gets a bit bunged up over the winter. Lots and lots of use sorts it out.

We inherited a Klaxon type horn with our boat. It was made by the Stewart Speedometer Co of Chicago for the Chemical Warefare Service of the US army. It is operated by a handle but there is an input for a motor drive. I have just had it to bits and cleaned, lubricated and painted it. It makes a loud and potentially irritating noise. Is it anything like yours, John?

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/d...nt=PA230010.jpg

SteveE

Hi Steve.

That thing certainly looks the part a good bit bigger than mine I think, they all seem to work on a similar principal, Klaxon have a lot of problems with copyright over the years, I do know that those cheapo plasticy ones you can buy now have had to remove all reference to the Klaxon name.. Klaxon still make motors for various things, the company I worked for used them for driving Sirens, still have one of those if you really want to wake up a few corpses, and a few biggish 12v motors too.

Hi Steve.

That thing certainly looks the part a good bit bigger than mine I think, they all seem to work on a similar principal, Klaxon have a lot of problems with copyright over the years, I do know that those cheapo plasticy ones you can buy now have had to remove all reference to the Klaxon name.. Klaxon still make motors for various things, the company I worked for used them for driving Sirens, still have one of those if you really want to wake up a few corpses, and a few biggish 12v motors too.

Thanks John but I'll stick to hand operation. We have no front to back access through the boat and this will enable a system of audible signals to be developed; coffee required, passing CWDF member, coconut on the starboard bow, usual sort of thing you wish to tell the other half.

If you or anyone else want a loud personal rasper like ours there was one for sale at that little canalside shop near lock 8 on the GU - £200!!!

So do the horns eventually fail then? What fails on them (other than they stop making a noise)? I have kind of got attached to mine. Hubby had taken it off to clean it about a month ago (we hadn't had a need to use the horn whilst travelling during that time), so we only noticed the change this weekend.

Inside there is an electro magnet pulling on a metal diaphragm, as the diaphragm moves it opens a set of contacts and cuts the power, the diaphragm moves back and allows the contacts to re close, and so on, so that the diaphragm vibrates to generate the sound. The adjuster controls the point at which the contacts open. Usual failure is due to corrosion damage or contact wear.

Inside there is an electro magnet pulling on a metal diaphragm, as the diaphragm moves it opens a set of contacts and cuts the power, the diaphragm moves back and allows the contacts to re close, and so on, so that the diaphragm vibrates to generate the sound. The adjuster controls the point at which the contacts open. Usual failure is due to corrosion damage or contact wear.

Thanks, that's useful to know. So in the grand scheme of things, rather than strip down and repair or replace (I have no idea if you can get 'spares' for horns), is it cheaper to replace than repair, and do you get any warning of it going, or does it just start failing intermitently before dying?

Sorry, this woman needs to learn!