Washing machine

thomasthetanker

Featured Posts

Before you all jump down my throat, I've done a search but it always brings up just washing even if search within quotes or with a + sign

Any ideas, obviously something small.

Are the portable tabletop ones on ebay any good?

Do they munch leccy and gallons of water or not too bad?

Cheers

Dan

Candy Aqua 1000 personally, 3Kg load, good on leccy, good on water. Expensive for its size but very smooth and quiet. Don't ask me about the washing side of it, I don't understand washing, but my galley slave says it is very good. It runs fine off the pure sine inverter, but hates the genny, which drives it berserk (I haven't tried the light bulb trick with the genny yet).

We have one taht we bought from Midland Chandlers for about £85. It's a twin tub - the sort of thing that my mother had in the 1950's - but smaller. Does a 1.5 kilo load in about 30 mins from start to finish and I tun it off a 1000W alternator with hardly any appreciable drain on the batteries. I think it is rated at 150W (does that sound right?) but it is on the boat and (sadly) I am not <_< so cannot check.Google for Midland Chandlers and look on their websiteGrahamI must learn to proof my postings. For "I tun it off a 1000W alternator" readd I run it off a 1000W inverterGraham

Do you mean this Graham?

PORTAWASH TWIN TUB SEMI AUTOMATIC 240V WASHING MACHINE

tt95.gif

Specification:-

Rated Voltage: AC220V

Rated Frequency: 50Hz

Rated Washing Capacity: 1.5kgs

Rated Current of Fuse: 3 Amp

Rated Input Power: 160 watt

Spin Dryer Capacity: 1.5kgs

Spin Dryer Input Power: 90 Watt

Waterproof Grade: IPX4

Net Dimensions: (LxWxH) 565mm x 355mm x 560mm

Weight: 10kgs

£64.50 from Towsure

Are they any good? somebody tried to sell me one at Crick this year, but i thought it looked a bit 'plasticy'

I like the idea though because it's not heating the water itself.

We're on the verge of buying a washer for our boat, so will watch this thread closely.

We're assuming that our domestic washing machine won't do (ordinary Indesit). Our local shop suggested one of these Moon things, but if it knows everything about your wash automatically, then it must have complicated electronics/computer in it and I believe that's not a good thing on a boat.

I must confess I don't fancy a twin tub.

What do other people use? (besides a launderette, OK <_< )

We're on the verge of buying a washer for our boat, so will watch this thread closely.

We're assuming that our domestic washing machine won't do (ordinary Indesit). Our local shop suggested one of these Moon things, but if it knows everything about your wash automatically, then it must have complicated electronics/computer in it and I believe that's not a good thing on a boat.

I must confess I don't fancy a twin tub.

What do other people use? (besides a launderette, OK <_< )

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that your Indesit wont do? Is it perhaps too large, or do you forsee an energy probem? People do use full size washers on boats. We went for the smaller Candy because we needed to buy one anyway, and by going for the samller machine, we had room for a tumble drier too. Full size machines are much cheaper, maybe half the price of the Candy 1000.

I've got one on the bankside in my shed, but it's not connected up to water yet - we are supposed to be in a luxury marina (and we are paying for it) with water and electricity to each berth. The electricity took 4 years to be switched on and the water (it's all plumbed in - we've checked) has never been connected. I can run the machine off a tap and a hose through the porthole, off mains elec from the service post but I hardly ever bother because we are often aground and we like to conserve the water in our tank.

I do have a tumble drier in the same shed, a good old fashioned hoover one that works like a dream. I use the laundry room on the mooring for washing at the moment - it's very expensive.

TBH I don't want a washer on the boat - I'd rather have the space. We use launderettes when we are cruising. But as most of our cruises are under 1 week long in a month, theres not really any need.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that your Indesit wont do? Is it perhaps too large, or do you forsee an energy probem? People do use full size washers on boats. We went for the smaller Candy because we needed to buy one anyway, and by going for the samller machine, we had room for a tumble drier too. Full size machines are much cheaper, maybe half the price of the Candy 1000.

We have full size indiset washing machine,works fine we run off 1600 watt invertor up to a 40 degree wash and warmer then generator required due to invertor size a 2000 watt invertor would run all machine washes fine.

I have the Zanussi ZWC1300W. It's a 3kg load capacity machine and is a bit smaller than a standard washing machine (which has 5 or 6kg load cap).

I've only had it for 6 months but I think it's excellent. It was expensive, but as with all these things you get what you pay for.

In terms of physical size it's the sort of machine you'd put in a studio flat so it's suitable for a boat. The other thing is that its maximum power consumption on a hot wash is only 1600w (presumably much lower on a warm or cool wash), low enough to be run from a reasonably sized pure sinewave output generator or inverter.

Edited by blackrose

I have the Zanussi ZWC1300W. It's a 3kg load capacity machine and is a bit smaller than a standard washing machine (which has 5 or 6kg load cap).

I've only had it for 6 months but I think it's excellent. It was expensive, but as with all these things you get what you pay for.

In terms of physical size it's the sort of machine you'd put in a studio flat so it's suitable for a boat. The other thing is that its maximum power consumption on a hot wash is only 1600w (presumably much lower on a warm or cool wash), low enough to be run from a reasonably sized pure sinewave output generator or inverter.

We almost bought that one, but the delivery time for the similar sized Candy was a bit sooner. Have you tried it off a genny? The Candy is dire off our rather crude 2kva genny, and tries to climb up the cabin sides. I am told that two or three 100watt lamps plugged into the genny, or some similar resistive load can cure this.

We almost bought that one, but the delivery time for the similar sized Candy was a bit sooner. Have you tried it off a genny? The Candy is dire off our rather crude 2kva genny, and tries to climb up the cabin sides. I am told that two or three 100watt lamps plugged into the genny, or some similar resistive load can cure this.

Yes, that'll be the sinewave from the generator but I hadn't heard the lightbulb remedy before. I have a Honda EU30is and although I haven't tried it yet I have complete faith...

Interesting - I just assumed a domestic washer wouldn't be suitable for a boat - many people have a Candy so I thought maybe they were better.

When I've time I'll read through all the stuff that Dhutch kindly pointed out (and use that technique for finding out other useful info - thanks for the tip!)

Scary bit about the pure sine wave inverter/machine climbing cabin sides/light bulb solution <_<

I wouldn't even dare ask anything about boat electrics on here, but I must make a note to myself to follow that up and discover what it's all about.

Do you mean this Graham?

PORTAWASH TWIN TUB SEMI AUTOMATIC 240V WASHING MACHINE

tt95.gif

Specification:-

Rated Voltage: AC220V

Rated Frequency: 50Hz

Rated Washing Capacity: 1.5kgs

Rated Current of Fuse: 3 Amp

Rated Input Power: 160 watt

Spin Dryer Capacity: 1.5kgs

Spin Dryer Input Power: 90 Watt

Waterproof Grade: IPX4

Net Dimensions: (LxWxH) 565mm x 355mm x 560mm

Weight: 10kgs

£64.50 from Towsure

Are they any good? somebody tried to sell me one at Crick this year, but i thought it looked a bit 'plasticy'

I like the idea though because it's not heating the water itself.

Yes, thats the one Scotty but damn I got ripped off if they are that price.

It works fine despite looking a bit plasticy.

We don't live on and so have less washing to do. It catered for our needs well over a five week cruise this summer - although we wouldn't use it for bedding or other really large items. But it removed the need to find launderettes.

Graham

Interesting - I just assumed a domestic washer wouldn't be suitable for a boat - many people have a Candy so I thought maybe they were better.

When I've time I'll read through all the stuff that Dhutch kindly pointed out (and use that technique for finding out other useful info - thanks for the tip!)

Scary bit about the pure sine wave inverter/machine climbing cabin sides/light bulb solution <_<

I wouldn't even dare ask anything about boat electrics on here, but I must make a note to myself to follow that up and discover what it's all about.

If you've got the space and you've got shore power you can just run an ordinary 6kg load domestic washing machine. If you haven't got shore power or you will be doing a lot of cruising and want to run the machine while you're away things start to get a bit more complicated. Then you might want a smaller machine because it consumes less power and you'll also need a way of producing that power in the form of a pure sinewave, which means either a pure sinewave inverter (+ a bank of batteries & a charging system that are up to the job); a pure sinewave generator of sufficient output (such as the Honda EU 20i), or an Electrolux Travelpower which is like an alternator on your engine that produces 230v AC power.

Edited by blackrose

I always find the washing machine bit amusing I have installed a lot of them on boats ranging from cheap Indesits to Dyson contra rotators.

If you have a good mains supply, generator or a decent inverter then more or less anything will work on a boat.

If you have a mickey mouse electrical set up then you need to address that first before even considering choice of washing machine.

Or alternatively if you have loads of money and space is a issue you can get one like THIS

Or alternatively if you have loads of money and space is a issue you can get one like THIS

Now that is pricey! I can't see what features it's got that makes it so expensive?

I've just found mine for £70 cheaper than I paid 6 months ago! <_<

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product_...um=ProductFeeds

Edited by blackrose

That's a 'kin pricey bit of kit Gary!! I've got the same set up as Catweasel and it works a treat - and on the other hand suffers exactly the same effects running through my s****y Briggs & Stratton generator. Funnily enough the 32 minute quick wash cycle seems oblivious to the poor sine wave from the genny and is the program I use most, mainly 'cos it seems to get the washing clean and doesn't drain the water tank....

Blackrose's Zanussi seems to be significantly cheaper than the Candy although I got mine brand new at a knock-down price off eBay.

By the way, if anyone does go for the Zanussi I'd recommend starting it off at a spin speed of 1000rpm or less. Perhaps the adjustable feet of my machine needed adjusting because when it reached the spin cycle which was set at 1300 I thought it was going to shake the boat apart!

Edited by blackrose

That has an incredibly small footprint! We opted for hand washing in the sink - augmented by a spin dryer because we thought that we had insufficient space to install a washing machine without spoiling the interior of the boat. The Eumenia 1000F looks as if it is even smaller than our spin dryer!