buying a nb

twistedh

Featured Posts

help a newbie! I am buying a narrowboat from a private vendor. I arranged for a survey on a particular date but the surveyor rang me to say he could do it earlier. Then he rang me again to say the owner had refused the earlier date as he wanted to do 'pre survey preparation'. The surveyor was a bit put out and said he was a bit suspicious. I have paid a deposit and have a copy of a certificate of ownership, I've also produced a purchase agreement using a standard brokers form which I've signed but the vendor hasn't yet but has agreed to. As I've never bought a boat before I'm not sure of the protocol or procedure or who the onus is on to do what. It all seems a bit haphazard! Can anyone advise me on what I should be doing? I've scared myself to death reading the in depth information on this site as I thought I'd done a lot of research and am now wondering if I haven't been a bit hasty....(I also have a friend who's a nb owner but he bought a newbuild). Thanks!

help a newbie! I am buying a narrowboat from a private vendor. I arranged for a survey on a particular date but the surveyor rang me to say he could do it earlier. Then he rang me again to say the owner had refused the earlier date as he wanted to do 'pre survey preparation'. The surveyor was a bit put out and said he was a bit suspicious. I have paid a deposit and have a copy of a certificate of ownership, I've also produced a purchase agreement using a standard brokers form which I've signed but the vendor hasn't yet but has agreed to. As I've never bought a boat before I'm not sure of the protocol or procedure or who the onus is on to do what. It all seems a bit haphazard! Can anyone advise me on what I should be doing? I've scared myself to death reading the in depth information on this site as I thought I'd done a lot of research and am now wondering if I haven't been a bit hasty....(I also have a friend who's a nb owner but he bought a newbuild). Thanks!

If his pre-survey preperation is getting stuff in order that may be a good thing, if however he continually obstructs a survey then i would indeed maybe think twice, make sure the survey is a full out of the water jobbie. Ive bought 2 2nd hand boats in the past, the first was an ex anglowelsh harborough marine boat built in the 70's. survey came back good and we had a good few years out of her before selling for the same price. Ive now just put a deposit on another used boat and am waiting the survey. there shouldnt really be anything for you to worry about, if the boat is a pile of pooh then it your survey will hopefully reflect that, and if it doesnt value the boat at the asking price or recomends remedial work then thats a bargaining tool in asking for a reduction in price. Your doing the right thing in getting a survey so wait and see the outcome

Its quite possible he just wants to do some long overdue jobs before the boat is surveyed because he knows it will be picked up by the surveyor. I think all boats have jobs that need doing and often never get done until something like this jolts us out of our lethargy.

If his pre-survey preperation is getting stuff in order that may be a good thing, if however he continually obstructs a survey then i would indeed maybe think twice, make sure the survey is a full out of the water jobbie. Ive bought 2 2nd hand boats in the past, the first was an ex anglowelsh harborough marine boat built in the 70's. survey came back good and we had a good few years out of her before selling for the same price. Ive now just put a deposit on another used boat and am waiting the survey. there shouldnt really be anything for you to worry about, if the boat is a pile of pooh then it your survey will hopefully reflect that, and if it doesnt value the boat at the asking price or recomends remedial work then thats a bargaining tool in asking for a reduction in price. Your doing the right thing in getting a survey so wait and see the outcome
Thanks! Advice much appreciated and reasuring.
Its quite possible he just wants to do some long overdue jobs before the boat is surveyed because he knows it will be picked up by the surveyor. I think all boats have jobs that need doing and often never get done until something like this jolts us out of our lethargy.
Thanks! Just having a wobble.