Another Chester towpath attack

AllanW

Featured Posts

I'm a regular walker of this particular stretch so it's more than a little disconcerting to see this:

- - - (copy) - - -

Another Chester towpath attack

The second attack is two weeks took place on the Towpath of the Shropshire Union Canal when a 49 years old man was repeatedly kicked by a gang of teenagers as he walked home.

The attack was by Hoole Lane Lock, and he was approached by the group of youths in their teens and pushed to the floor where he was repeatedly kicked in an unprovoked attack.

He suffered a number of injuries and was taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital for treatment.

DC Steve Marsland, of Cheshire Police, explained: “This was a completely unprovoked attack. “It was a violent and mindless assault that led to serious injuries. “However, any person who was in that area who may have seen the attack or seen a gang of youths in the area around that time should come forward and assist us with our investigation."

Anyone boating in the area should perhaps bear in mind that this seems to be becoming a regular occurrence.

- - - (end) - - -

Even before this I would always advise anyone to avoid mooring under the ring road (not far from where the Mill Hotel boat operates), as there have been a couple of vandalism incidents that I'm aware of (broken windows)

I have to say that this attack took place later than boats would be using the locks, and I've never had (or seen) any trouble on this particular stretch - however it does run through a built up area - so as always, boaters be aware!

Personally I'd say this area suffers from a serious lack of investment from the Council (not BW) - which so very short sighted as Chester could become another Stratford as an outstanding terminal destination - the city itself has so much to offer.

For any boaters coming into Chester - I'll be happy to point out good moorings, pubs and sights...

Allan

You know what worries me? Some of these yobs will be working in the care homes some of us might end up getting stuck in. They might be serving us in our supermarkets, or in our army, might even be our doctors, bus drivers, you name it, they are the next generation.

It scares me silly.

Karma is a wonderful thing, and it will catch up with them.

You know what worries me? Some of these yobs will be working in the care homes some of us might end up getting stuck in. They might be serving us in our supermarkets, or in our army, might even be our doctors, bus drivers, you name it, they are the next generation.

.... of the Great British underclass.

They won't be working anywhere, they will be living of the benevolence of the state, breeding a further generation of scum.

They won't be working anywhere, they will be living of the benevolence of the state, breeding a further generation of scum.

Steady, lad, you'll be accused of inflammatory posting again.

Some of my best friends are dole-shite, mugging, ne'er-do-wells...

.... of the Great British underclass.

I wouldn't have expected any other reply, Dave you really are getting very predictable and sad. :)

I wouldn't have expected any other reply, Dave you really are getting very predictable and sad. :)

It makes me sad that these people have nothing better to do than getting a thrill out of beating someone up.. it's stupid and certainly doesn't do the younger generation any good.

There are quite a few people like that I know in a town near me.. and it just suprises me how they don't care what grades they get or what they end up doing.. with me I've always had ambitions and have got out there and done something about it.. like recently going on a millitary flying course.

*mini rant over*

Anyway.

I'm not a violent type but if I ever saw yobs beating a guy up I know who I would defend.

Edited by Sam

Heh, don't get me wrong, I am not into people living off the state just because they can't be bothered do anything other than drink special brew, as I know a lot of genuine cases where they have to live on benefits through one thing or another.

However, I am also all for living your life the way you want in the sense of what makes you happy (not killing, beating up etc obviously) so I don't expect my kids to become brain surgeons etc to please me. I would like them to grow up happy, supporting themselves financially, but enjoying their lives as well.

There is just no fear anymore with kids and the police or the joke we call a justice system anymore.

Take one example:

Last weekend we were moored up at the linear near the sales boats as we returned from picking the boat up from it being blacked etc, and it's right by the pub. gorgeous Sunday weather, loads of people outside. School holidays so loads of kids running around enjoying themselves. Sounds great eh? Then there was three kids whose parents had obviously never supervised them anywhere were jumping up and down on one of the sale boats chucking stones at it etc. I watched this for a while. They stopped for a bit and started using the near by car show forecourt as a bike track.

Then they went back to throwing stones and jumping on and off this boat, in full view of all the people outside the pub and more importantly their parents.

So I went up to the kids and asked them who their parents were. They refused to tell me, so I gave them a telling off for being on the boat. They said 'well it's only a sale boat' to which I said, 'yes, but it's still someone elses property, stay off it'.

Ten minutes later off trudge the kids and thier less than sober parents and once at a safe distance the mother of one of them gave me the 'I know where you live' look and then stomped off.

Sad and really quite pathetic and if I could have been bothered I may have followed them and startred jumping all over the family car to see if there were bothered about that at all, but then I am a grown up.

An hour later a bunch of topless chavs (men before you ask) proceeded to start a punch up and up turned the police and all sorts. Quite pathetic some of the morons we are forced to pay for.

You missed "and correct"

You can put any spin you like on it, but it IS what will happen in these yobs future life.

Predictable and sad maybe but he has a point. Untill this country and the voters in it wake up and start dishing out proper sentencing instead of the namby pamby "theyve had a tough life lets send them on holiday" kind of attitude, then things will continue to go down hill. Asbo's are virtually useless, infact it is now a status symbol to have one.

They may have had a tough life but the rest of society still needs protecting. Bang em away and they wont screw your car/house or boat for quite some time. Ive no doubt prison doesnt work but it keeps em away from me

Aaah now, one of THOSE threads. There are people who study the complex interplay of cause and effect of our society and what generates the poverty of aspiration that makes such things the acme of success for the unfortunate or just plain nasty. They are called sociologists and are widely ridiculed. They have examined the patient and made diagnosis and prescription, and the fat lazy patient has said "what do you know? overconsumption and inactivity are GOOD for me".

My left of centre views have made me one of the "comrades", an epithet handed down from the wise, trumping any reasoned argument. No amount of reference to authoratative research or quotation of empirical evidence can avail, calling me "comrade" will trump all that and render even the most well thought out argument and it's supporting evidence futile. I would like to think that the molluscs responsible for this attack can be saved, but I doubt it. Perhaps "the next generation of scum" could be saved, but the social scientists findings and reccomendations will always be overridden by fear of the democratic wrath of the daily mail readers.

Mayalld is right, but rather than accept the inevitability of a criminal underclass, the unavoidable result of social darwinism, how about a bit of effort to mount a counter attack on the entrenched attitudes that fuel these incidents?

I hope you lot are allowed to arm yourselves in some way or another. Being allowed to carry a knife or, preferably a sword, would be a nice start. OTherwise maybe we can put Darwin back in the drivers spot and quit saving the scum of the earth.

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

i bet most sociologists are the comradey/clickety type

Evidence? Reference? or just a gut feeling. Either way, their years of study are trumped now they are "comrades" isn't it, after all with you to know better without all that tedious study stuff they've been wasting their time.

I dont want to comment on the "society is going downhill" nonsense but does anyone know what time of day this attack took place?

The attack happened as the man walked along Hoole Lane, near to Hoole Lane Lock, at 11pm on Friday.
Edited by redstarafloat

Aaah now, one of THOSE threads. ............Mayalld is right, but rather than accept the inevitability of a criminal underclass, the unavoidable result of social darwinism, how about a bit of effort to mount a counter attack on the entrenched attitudes that fuel these incidents?

I would say that Mayalld is partially right, but condemming a whole group for the actions of some is wrong. I have known several lads who at some time in their lves could have been considered scum of the earth, but have grown up into reasonable members of society. I believe it is always better to attempt rehabilitation than lock up and throw away the key. The majority who come out of prison, without any sort of training/education, continue in the sort of activity that was so wrong in the first place.

There will always be some for whom there is no hope - though it doesn't mean they will be on benefits as shown by the number of football hooligans who turnout to be white collar workers - and how to deal with them is a problem.

As for the "comrades" comments, I suppose it might have been amusing once, but the number of repeats makes it silly and boring.

On the topic of people who have no hope..

This is what really gets me.... i see some people who have brilliant brains and could go so far in life.. but they just can't be bothered.. it is sad!

I would say that Mayalld is partially right, but condemming a whole group for the actions of some is wrong. I have known several lads who at some time in their lves could have been considered scum of the earth, but have grown up into reasonable members of society. I believe it is always better to attempt rehabilitation than lock up and throw away the key. The majority who come out of prison, without any sort of training/education, continue in the sort of activity that was so wrong in the first place.

There will always be some for whom there is no hope - though it doesn't mean they will be on benefits as shown by the number of football hooligans who turnout to be white collar workers - and how to deal with them is a problem.

As for the "comrades" comments, I suppose it might have been amusing once, but the number of repeats makes it silly and boring.

I wouldnt advocate heavy sentences for first offenders, we all deserve a second chance to redeem ourselves. We have had rehabilitaion in action for a number of years now and still the problem gets worse. We try to 'tag' criminals so that they dont crowd the prisons and we can monitor their movements, what happens, they breach their curfews even when tagged and the already over stretched constable get yet another call waiting in their ever lengthening list of calls to attend, and you wont see them to report your theft because they are off again having to deal with another offender who has breached his bail conditions and then spend at least 4 hours doing the paper work should they be lucky enough to catch him. meanwhile your still waiting to report your theft.

where do we draw the line at rehabilitation and protecting society?

2 police oficers stop a stolen car in central London, the suspects kick off and fight with the officers, one officer receives a fractured jaw after being kicked to the ground. the suspect make off in the car and are later arrested outside london. At the trial they arefound guilty of the TDA and assault and given 2yrs suspended sentence and 200 hours community service.....the injured officer still suffers with pains from the injury......justice?

If there is no deterrent, then a section of society will do as it pleases.

The general perception, as said within this thread, seems to be that crime is getting worse however the British Crime Survey, reporting on violent crime states

"Violent crime has fallen by around 43% since its peak in 1995 and has remained relatively stable between 2004/05 and 2005/06."

The trend in most crime has been down for the last 15 years, though street crime has risen, probably due to the advent of the mobile phone.

The general perception, as said within this thread, seems to be that crime is getting worse however the British Crime Survey, reporting on violent crime states

"Violent crime has fallen by around 43% since its peak in 1995 and has remained relatively stable between 2004/05 and 2005/06."

The trend in most crime has been down for the last 15 years, though street crime has risen, probably due to the advent of the mobile phone.

Would agree with you there, the mobile phone boom has resulted in a tremendous amount of extra calls to the emer services. I guess previously we wouldve waited till passing a phone box or getting home and then thought...naw..they probably already know about it.

As for crime figures....lol.....Crime figures have been cooked for many years now so that individual forces or divisions can send in a return to the home office and be told they can continue with their current funding as they are doing so well. also seems to keep the public happy.

one example of cooking the figures is:-

Mrs miggins calls police to report an attempted burglary. Constable higginbotham attends the scene and see's the door booted in and the boot mark on the paintwork, Mrs miggins states nothing has been stolen as the perp may have been disturbed when she woke up and turned the lights on.

Constable higginbotham returns to the factory and completes a crime report for attempted burglary and classifies it at such. The crime desk supervisor changes the classification to criminal damage, why? because there is no proof of the mens rea of the perp that he intended to enter the property and fulfill one of the requirements of burglary.

so 1 less burglary today superintendant...well done men keep it up

Would agree with you there, the mobile phone boom has resulted in a tremendous amount of extra calls to the emer services. I guess previously we wouldve waited till passing a phone box or getting home and then thought...naw..they probably already know about it.

As for crime figures....lol.....Crime figures have been cooked for many years now so that individual forces or divisions can send in a return to the home office and be told they can continue with their current funding as they are doing so well. also seems to keep the public happy.

Mrs miggins calls police to report an attempted burglary. Constable higginbotham attends the scene and see's the door booted in and the boot mark on the paintwork, Mrs miggins states nothing has been stolen as the perp may have been disturbed when she woke up and turned the lights on.

Constable higginbotham returns to the factory and completes a crime report for attempted burglary and classifies it at such. The crime desk supervisor changes the classification to criminal damage, why? because there is no proof of the mens rea of the perp that he intended to enter the property and fulfill one of the requirements of burglary.

so 1 less burglary today superintendant...well done men keep it up

Crime figures may be down but i cannot believe crime is down most crimes are not reported any more cos nothing is done if you do sad but thats how it is. Bren

If we follow the example of New York (who a few years ago had serious problems with petty crime and vandalism) and the government is serious about tackling these anti-social problems, we need a zero tolerance approach and real punishment for those who choose to behave badly. ASBO's are not the answer...

Allan

Aaah now, one of THOSE threads. There are people who study the complex interplay of cause and effect of our society and what generates the poverty of aspiration that makes such things the acme of success for the unfortunate or just plain nasty. They are called sociologists and are widely ridiculed. They have examined the patient and made diagnosis and prescription, and the fat lazy patient has said "what do you know? overconsumption and inactivity are GOOD for me".My left of centre views have made me one of the "comrades", an epithet handed down from the wise, trumping any reasoned argument. No amount of reference to authoratative research or quotation of empirical evidence can avail, calling me "comrade" will trump all that and render even the most well thought out argument and it's supporting evidence futile. I would like to think that the molluscs responsible for this attack can be saved, but I doubt it. Perhaps "the next generation of scum" could be saved, but the social scientists findings and reccomendations will always be overridden by fear of the democratic wrath of the daily mail readers.Mayalld is right, but rather than accept the inevitability of a criminal underclass, the unavoidable result of social darwinism, how about a bit of effort to mount a counter attack on the entrenched attitudes that fuel these incidents?
On the one hand I do what I can to try and make society a better place, but I am just me and it is just a little. Perhaps if many others tried as well we would win through by our joint effort.Unfortunately, I don't see the spark of motivation to fix things in society at large, and as a realist, I have to accept that without a shift in attitudes from the population at large, it is inevitable that a segment of society will choose to remain as the underclass, because their parents were the underclass, and their children will be the underclass.
I wouldnt advocate heavy sentences for first offenders, we all deserve a second chance to redeem ourselves.
Neither would I (bet that surprised a few people).Neither do I support soft sentences, or giving people a fifteenth chance to redeem themselves.If I could choose how we sentenced people (perish the thought), first offenders would get a tough non-custodial sentence. It would involve hard physical effort, and would be rigidly enforced. It would be an unpleasant experience, but would allow the offender to change, and move on to lead a better life.There would, however, be no second chance. Those who offend again would get a term in prison.

The figures I quote are from the British Crime Survey which has nothing to do with crime reported to the police (so they can't do any cooking :) ) It is generally considered to be a much better reflection of the true position than any police generated figures.

"Crime figures may be down but i cannot believe crime is down most crimes are not reported any more cos nothing is done if you do sad but thats how it is. Bren"

It is also widely reported that despite reducing crime figures, the public perception is that crime is increasing, possibly due to the manner in which these things are dealt with by the media.