Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Tam & Di

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Tam & Di last won the day on May 3 2016

Tam & Di had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

224 Good


About Tam & Di

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    France or Twickenham
  • Interests
    The skills of boating, good food and wine. Boring people stupid talking about any of these.

Previous Fields

  • Occupation
    examiner French & UK steerer's qualifications
  • Boat Location
    predominantly France

Contact Methods

  • ICQ
  • Website URL

Recent Profile Visitors

11,338 profile views
  1. Email from cart

    That would discourage people from cruising at all - very welcome to the continuous moorers though.
  2. Does anyone know this ice breaker location

    and the large head can possible be the arm of said man,
  3. Does anyone know this ice breaker location

    You may be right, but I assume it is an unpowered ice breaker so there should be at least two horses towing it. Although I agee it looks like a large head and horns the horns can equally well be the hat of a man stood by the animals head.
  4. Does anyone know this ice breaker location

    But boat people had their own names for locks, bridges, pounds etc that didn't often appear in official guides.
  5. Water Wanderer

    As a slight aside, Water Kelpie was owned and lived on at Uxbridge in the 1970s by Nick and Rachel Walker. In 1975 Nick bought the Clyde puffer VIC32 which he still runs taking passengers on the Crinan canal.
  6. Fake pumpout card

    But it does say "return to where you bought it from ...". If you bought one from a dodgy guy in a pub you probably won't have much luck though - in fact trying to get money back from whoever went to the bother of printing them doesn't sound like it would do you any good either. unless you have a very well built mate with you
  7. What is it you are still confused about re CEVNI? I know it is difficult on any forum to know the validity of the advice you get. I have no interest in willy waving about experience, but my information is from the perspective of someone who worked as an RYA training school in France for 20 years, more significantly also as an instructor and examiner authorised by the French Department d'Affaires Maritimes for French licences for pleasure and commercial purposes. I have to know the law and the information I gave on the assumption you were talking of France is correct. Now you say you will be buying in Holland that does change things slightly, and the size of boat becomes much more relevant. In the Netherlands there is no requirement for any steerer's certificate for craft under 15m and Germany accepts the ICC for craft to 15m, but I think I'm all done with writing on it for now though. Things may well have changed by the time you get your boat anyway.
  8. Di and I have commercial skipper tickets for Continental inland commercial craft to 180m. The only time I've had to show mine in 20 years in France was to validate a cheque in a supermarket
  9. I can't imagine where you get that from. Without looking through my files to quote the exact wording in the Reglement General de Police de Navigation every vessel on French waterways must be in command of/steered by a person with appropriate steerer's qualifictions. Once you leave tidal waters a qualification valid only for sea cruising is not valid. All French inland certificates require a test for knowledge of CEVNI rules - the computerised test is much more stringent than the piffling RYA one. There is a published list of non-French certificates that are execepted, and some (e.g. Swedish) which are not, specificaly because there is no test for knowledge of CEVNI involved with them. You do need registry details of the vessel, but full Part 1 British Registry is obviously OK, and does also prove ownership, which the SSR does not. The fact no-one demanded to see a full set of mandatory papers was just luck, but not a thing for people to rely on and inspections are becoming much more frequent now with the increase in leisure boating. I do know of a handful of people whose craft was effectively arrested and they were not allowed to continue until they had the essential documents. I've had a quick look and Article 1.02.1 is the one. It says inter alia that the conductor (the person in charge) must hold a certificate of competence for the class of vessel and the waterway it cruises. It sets out the level of fine applicable for persons in default.
  10. The link I gave before opened specifically at the "Steerer's Qualifications" entry, but there are also entries on VHF paperwork and usage too, see for complete topic list to date: http://www.bargehandling.com/Bargehandling.com/BARGE_HANDLING_BLOG/BARGE_HANDLING_BLOG.html An ICC requires an practical element and a test of the appropriate rules - COLREGS for use at sea and CEVNI for Continental inland use. The practical can be done with a motor vessel or a sailing one, and a craft under 10m or one longer than this, and the ICC will be limited to the type/length of vessel the practical was done on. The Inland Waters Helmsman course you mention is the most usual way for UK canal boaters to gain the inland element, and would normally be done on a boat over 10m. The VHF must be adapted for ATIS as you mention, but an old VHF user's certificate remains valid for life. The CEVNI test is not too difficult as long as the applicant does his homework. If you are doing your boating on a leisure waterway like the Canal du Midi CEVNI has fairly little application, but canals in the north and in Belgium/Holland etc have serious large commercial traffic and the CEVNI rules do need to not only be known but understood - they're not just something invented by Johnny foreigner to make life difficult for visitors from the UK, an attitude unfortunately often implied by UK boat schools.
  11. You say European Inland Waterways and your address is France. Tony has replied re the UK, but is that where you will cruise? I see you mention ICC with inland endorsement (knowledge of CEVNI Rules), radio user's certificate and a vignette so I assume you are more thinking of continental Europe. The detail depends upon the length of craft you fetch up with, but assuming you cruise only on inland waterways an ICC will satisfy for craft to 40m+ if it is for private pleasure cruising. If you take even one paying guest you need something more, and the French Extension Grande Plaisance (EGP) would do. There were two other threads in the past week asking similar questions and I did put this link there but here it is again http://www.bargehandling.com/Bargehandling.com/BARGE_HANDLING_BLOG/Entries/2016/11/4_Certification_for_helmsmen_of_Pleasure_Craft_onInland_Waterwaysin_Europe.html That will tell you more or less everything you need. You will have to have insurance of course, and paperwork to show your life jackets and fire extinguishers have been inspected within the timescale set out. It also depends upon where your boat is registered, and it will basically have to comply with the requirements of the country you are flagged in. At the moment a UK registered vessel is OK with that, but it will possibly change when/if UK leaves the family, as it would then be a foreign visitor and have more stringent controls. There are also a lot of requirements for a vessel over 20m, but I've spent enough time here for now so will let you digest that lot first. Tam There aren't many canals in the massif centrale though
  12. Oh dear

    Coal was already history as far back as the 70s when we ran trips on the GU for school kids in Uxbridge. We mentioned narrowboats carrying coal on canals in our commentary but often then had to explain what coal was and what it was used for.
  13. March of the Wide Beams

    Not exactly - the ByeLaws state: As to Vessels to be used on Canals Fitness of Vessels 3. No person shall bring use or leave in any canal any vessel which is not in every respect fit for navigation on the canal or part thereof where it is intended to be used. They also define a Narrow Canal Boat as any vessel with a beam less than 7' 6"
  14. French Canals

    In that case I apologise, but I spent a ot of my time answering your questions in detail although I was busy with other things. I found it "very disrespectful" for you to then ask the same question again on another thread, which is indeed the sort of action of a troll who just wats to wind people up. Tam
  15. French Canals

    The original thread stayed more or less on topic and had no-one taking the pyss despite his repetitious questions, so why would he ignore all the advice on that and start another with the same theme?