Waterproof switch any recommendations please

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Have fitted a new shower cubicle and the being to "suck" out the waste water using a Whale Gulper the adjacent cupboard. I want to put the WG switch inside the shower cubicle at high level so wont be saturated but could get spayed therefore needs to be waterproof. Haven't had much luck with Google so trying a more reliable source - you guys.

Also is there such a thing as a swivel joint to go through the cubicle wall that I can attach the hose to both sides?

Thanks

Google "1 gang IP44 switch." Loads of them out there. Mainly designed for 240V outside use on garden lights etc. but will be quite happy with 12 or 24 V and the current of a Whale gulper. Buy a decent brand. They last ;longer and stay waterproof.

N

Why not just have the switch outside in a dry area. Thats were mine is on this and all my other boats I just switch on as entering shower and switch off when finished. Mr gulper doesnt need to be full of water all the time and is always happy.

Tim

Pull cord is the way to go.

Not for me it isn't. I don't want a horrible wet cord looking like it's from the 1950s in my shower. Besides you've still got to fit a switch so there's no real advantage. Pull cords were designed to keep users hands away from AC mains switches. That safety aspect isn't an issue for 12v DC.

For years we have used simple toggle switches with rubber boots on RIB consoles which are subjected to frequent solid greenies, I also use them for shower enclosures, available in push button too.

waterproof-toggle-switch.jpg

Edited by NMEA

A simple way of waterproofing a switch is to intall it in a condom with the wires coming out sealed off with an elastic band. The condom being all nice and flexible will allow easy manipulation of the switch while always keeping it dry. If you are of a shy disposition, there's no need to get embarrassed by buying one in a shop as they are available at vending machines in many gents toilets, just hang about in there until your on your own and ding, clink, clunk you become the proud owner of a rain mac for your switch. They have many other uses too, like a waterproof sock for your mobile phone and for keeping your tiller handle dry when it rains for example.

• Greenie 1