Lister JP stationary engine conversion

RAP

Featured Posts

For the most part they look like standard JP governor parts (or copies) used on both industrial and marine engines. Note that most marine engines had 1200 rpm governor weights whilst most industrials (but not all) 1000 rpm. The missing rod he refers to runs inside the engine to take the governor action driven by camshaft at one end of the engine to the throttle bellcrank/injection pump rack linkage at the other.

I don't think converting to variable speed is an issue with such a simple governor as used on a JP.

Edited by by'eck

As By'eck has mentioned the bits in the photo are a mix of proper Lister governor bits and home made. I expect the engine it was originally for was from a post war generator which tended to have all this missing and instead had a very different governor arrangement which is mounted on the opposite side of the engine to the injector pump so all the gubbins that is normally internal to the engine is missing. Cant find a pic right now but will put one up if I can find it.

RLWP if your referring to the bits on the JP4 you were working on. Then the crudeness is because those bits are very much not Lister original, the wartime engines, be it made of some fairly naff materials, are the same pattern as pre and post war variants.

Edited by martyn 1

RLWP if your referring to the bits on the JP4 you were working on. Then the crudeness is because those bits are very much not Lister original, the wartime engines, be it made of some fairly naff materials, are the same pattern as pre and post war variants.

I remain to be convinced, Martyn. Why would anyone go to the trouble of replacing those levers, the main governor push rod or replacing the vernier coupling on the pump? Makes a lot of sense as an austerity measure during the war

Richard

I remain to be convinced, Martyn. Why would anyone go to the trouble of replacing those levers, the main governor push rod or replacing the vernier coupling on the pump? Makes a lot of sense as an austerity measure during the war

Richard

Fair comment as it did look like someone had put a lot of effort in, but I would be going with the likelihood that the engine may of been missing it and that lot was made up to get it working a lot later in its life, I'm sure it came out a lot cheaper than buying the bits from Lister. The injector pump in the picture you sent me is not the right hand as it was mounted the wrong way round so probably came off something else and hence the different coupling.

Having had well over 40 wartime JP's come through the workshop over the years and also holding a copy of the MOD specs for the build of them I can say with all confidence that what was/is fitted to that JP4 is none Lister or MOD spec for that matter.

listerjp4inj.png

This is the standard fit for MOD spec JP generators and most non MOD JP,JS & JK's as well, with the exception of the very different governor arrangement I mentioned earlier (but all of this type is external to the guts of the engine).

Anyway getting back to the OP as I have gone off on a massive tangent, only the 2nd and 3rd item from the left in the eBay ad are Lister bits the rest is fabricated. So unless you are really unlucky and have a JP that has all the governor gear missing you wouldn't need it to convert from fixed to variable speed as the bits are the same as in the pic above. would just need different governor weights if going from 1000rpm to 1200rpm or the other way round.

Martyn

Just dallying off-topic, I obtained the correct Lister JP parts, and they wouldn't fit because of the diameter of the push rod

I think we will have to add that one to the drawer of 'old engine mysteries' that come our way - why did they do that?/how did they do that?/why would you want to do that!

Richard