Tappets adjusted Tony Brooks way.

Featured Posts

Tried the Tony Brooks method of tappet adjustment today; wind engine until valve is fully compressed, mark pulley with chalk (timing marks virtually unviewable on my engine) then wind one full turn and adjust that tappet. Wipe chalk mark off and continue to do others in same fashion. It sounded long winded to me, but having done them that way today it is actually quick and easy. I will be using that method in future.

Thanks Tony.

Tried the Tony Brooks method of tappet adjustment today; wind engine until valve is fully compressed, mark pulley with chalk (timing marks virtually unviewable on my engine) then wind one full turn and adjust that tappet. Wipe chalk mark off and continue to do others in same fashion. It sounded long winded to me, but having done them that way today it is actually quick and easy. I will be using that method in future.

Thanks Tony.

It is the safest way if your not certain of the valve events.

ISTR from my dim and distant yoof there being a method of checking them with the engine actually running.

Put the feeler gauge in and in the engine runs on three the gap is too small, and if the gauge isnt gripped the gap is too big. Or something...

Mr Blizzard will remember I have every confidence!!

MtB

I was adjusting tappets the Primrose way yesterday. Watch until the exhaust valve has just shut and the inlet is just about to open. Wipe your oily thumb on the top of the flywheel then turn the engine through one revolution until the mark is at the top again. Adjust both valves

Richard

ISTR from my dim and distant yoof there being a method of checking them with the engine actually running.

Put the feeler gauge in and in the engine runs on three the gap is too small, and if the gauge isnt gripped the gap is too big. Or something...

MtB

Yes, but that buggers up the feeler gauges, you really need feeler strip and a holder. If I recall the cam lobe profile on Bedfords and I presume Vauxhall made it the most accurate way.

<wondering if that was a serious question, but then noting the time realised it wasn't!>

Some 2-strokes do have (poppet) valves, usually only one per cylinder though. And yes, for those moving half a turn from fully open will give you the right spot.

Edit - actually the GM/Detroit 2-strokes, probably the 'small' diesel 2-strokes made in the greatest numbers worldwide, had two valves per cylinder but both exhaust.

Actually for the Detroit diesel the injector pump is integral with the injector, so you just turn the engine until the injector arm for that cylinder is down to get the right position for setting the valve clearance.

I know (think) it wasn't meant seriously wink.png

Tim

Edited by Timleech

MtB

The 1966 Honda CB450 Twin had torsion bars instead of valve springs.

The Tappets were adjusted with the engine running,if a cylinder failed to fire the tappet was too tight,ifthe tappet was audible the clearance was too great.

IIRC the hot working clearance was a mere one thousandth of an inch.

CT

Some 2-strokes do have (poppet) valves, usually only one per cylinder though. And yes, for those moving half a turn from fully open will give you the right spot.

Edit - actually the GM/Detroit 2-strokes, probably the 'small' diesel 2-strokes made in the greatest numbers worldwide, had two valves per cylinder but both exhaust.

Actually for the Detroit diesel the injector pump is integral with the injector, so you just turn the engine until the injector arm for that cylinder is down to get the right position for setting the valve clearance.

I know (think) it wasn't meant seriously wink.png

Tim

Two stroke diesels do not have valves. Well Doxfords do not. Just scavenge pump and perforated cylinders and two pistons per cylinder

I love those kind of statements biggrin.png

2-stroke-engine.jpg

image154.jpg

Richard

I did qualify it by saying Doxfords, but also early Sulzers quote here: http://www.inverclydeshipbuilding.co.uk/home/the-diesel-engine

Looking for a Doxford schematic. And I should have said normal inlet and exhaust valves.

I did work on them both

I did qualify it by saying Doxfords, but also early Sulzers quote here: http://www.inverclydeshipbuilding.co.uk/home/the-diesel-engine

Looking for a Doxford schematic. And I should have said normal inlet and exhaust valves.

I did work on them both

Link to introductory manual here :- http://www.dieselduck.info/historical/01%20diesel%20engine/Doxford/docs/Doxford%20Manual%20Introduction.pdf

Check out A.1.0 principles of operation.

http://youtu.be/6nrbqTDuMfc

Also shows a valve less 2 stroke diesel.

Edited by jelunga

I did work on them both

Link to introductory manual here :- http://www.dieselduck.info/historical/01%20diesel%20engine/Doxford/docs/Doxford%20Manual%20Introduction.pdf

Check out A.1.0 principles of operation.

And no valves on this diagram either. Not the same piston layout as a Doxford or Sulzer but same valve-less principle

The examples that Tim and I found both have conventional exhaust valves.

I was deliberately running with part of your statement 'Two stroke diesels do not have valves' . Most two strokes do not have valves, there are some that do

Richard

The examples that Tim and I found both have conventional exhaust valves.

I was deliberately running with part of your statement 'Two stroke diesels do not have valves' . Most two strokes do not have valves, there are some that do

Richard

I call that selective quoting., especially since my next sentence qualified it :- "Two stroke diesels do not have valves. Well Doxfords do not. Just scavenge pump and perforated cylinders and two pistons per cylinder""

Yes, it is selective quoting, with the intention of having a bit of fun with it. You are right, Doxford 2-strokes don't have valves, just ports

Other two strokes do have conventional valves

Richard

I call that selective quoting., especially since my next sentence qualified it :- "Two stroke diesels do not have valves. Well Doxfords do not. Just scavenge pump and perforated cylinders and two pistons per cylinder""

The point of your post No 11 appeared to me to be to contradict mine, with the qualification about Doxfords as an afterthought.

Foden 2-stroke diesels have valves as well ;)

Tim

The 1966 Honda CB450 Twin had torsion bars instead of valve springs.

The Tappets were adjusted with the engine running,if a cylinder failed to fire the tappet was too tight,ifthe tappet was audible the clearance was too great.

IIRC the hot working clearance was a mere one thousandth of an inch.

CT

That was the forerunner of the CB500T of which I had a lovely chocolate brown one from new

That was the forerunner of the CB500T of which I had a lovely chocolate brown one from new

Always fancied a 500T. I bought a CB400 four instead which was a similar price new. Often regret not giving the twin a go.

Had a 400t later but second hand. Not sure I like best.

Keeping things resolutely off topic. The Honda 400 4 was a gem. With improved front damping and decent rear shocks one could be very naughty without having to wear brown underpants.

On topic, I have yet to get the knack of doing 'live' tappet clearance measurement.

Edited by Taslim