Nelson Mandela funeral - can we have the BBC back now.

matty40s

Featured Posts

According to the articles that have been running in "soundings" there is some controversy in obtaining a licence for livaboard boaters with NFA.

Do we really want BBC news back anyway? If it's not this bias it's another bias.

Try channel hopping between Russia Today and Algazeera for upto date non bias news coverage.

According to the articles that have been running in "soundings" there is some controversy in obtaining a licence for livaboard boaters with NFA.

Do we really want BBC news back anyway? If it's not this bias it's another bias.

Try channel hopping between Russia Today and Algazeera for upto date non bias news coverage.

I do watch both of those from time to time, it's always good to see another angle on news, similarly if my usual newspaper isn't available I'll happily buy another one to see a different approach. To suggest AJ and (especially) RT are unbiased is ludicrous, though.

Tim

I do watch both of those from time to time, it's always good to see another angle on news, similarly if my usual newspaper isn't available I'll happily buy another one to see a different approach. To suggest AJ and (especially) RT are unbiased is ludicrous, though.

Tim

I completely agree Tim. I was just trying to be sarcastic.

Which news channel/newspaper isn't unbiased and motivated or controlled by some kind of political agenda?

The only one I can think of is the Beano.

Which news channel/newspaper isn't unbiased and motivated or controlled by some kind of political agenda?

I feel channel 4 is usually the least bias of the U.K News channels. At least they don't run with all the same drivel fed to Journalists by govenment spin doctors every morning and run with it all day. If they do then they usually have a good angle.

Yesterday I received a card whose stamp bore a picture of The Beano. Is the replacement of the Queen's portrait by that of Dennis The Menace a symptom of a decline in standards following the recent Royal Mail privatisation?

The best news bulletin is that of Radio 4 at brealfast time. If the BBC is privatised, doubtless we shall get Dennis the Menace reading it.

Indirectly, as TV licensing is enforced by the government for the sole purpose of watching the BBC and as a "boater" with no fixed abode who likes to watch a bit of TV now and again and who might come up against the wrong side of the law through not being able to obtain a TV licence due to not having a permanent address, I think it has a little bit, albeit indirectly, to do with boating..

Ok, just to clarify.....when it comes time for me to cancel our bricks & mortar tv license, there's no sense in inquiring about a tv license for the boat as we will be cc's and they won't issue one to us as we have no home address?

So if I can't obtain a license in the first place, I won't be considered to be breaking any laws by watching the odd bit of tv without a license right?help.gif

B~

Ok, just to clarify.....when it comes time for me to cancel our bricks & mortar tv license, there's no sense in inquiring about a tv license for the boat as we will be cc's and they won't issue one to us as we have no home address?

So if I can't obtain a license in the first place, I won't be considered to be breaking any laws by watching the odd bit of tv without a license right?help.gif

B~

It's an interesting one this and when it's been discussed on here before that just about seems to be it.

Technically yes you are required to have one but you can't get one without an address or at least it's more difficult.

I don't even think you can use a rellies address as they already have a licence and you only need one per property.

However I think I recall Carl found a way of getting himself licensed when he lived on a boat - I'll see if I can dig up his post.

Found it

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55512&p=1052990

I'm sure Carl won't mind.

TV LICENSING
BRISTOL
BS98 1TL
Tel: 0300 790 6087
Fax: 0300 790 6012
Email: enquiries@tvlicensing.co.uk
Our Ref: TVL27198854
19/05/2012
Thank you for your recent enquiry.
The use of television receiving equipment on a boat does not require separate
licensing if the television user holds a licence for their main address. If the
boat is the only residence then a licence will be required. Under those
circumstances the licence should show the mooring address or a forwarding
address.
I hope this information is useful.
Yours sincerely,
Mr W Kimball
TV Licensing
Edited by The Dog House

So is it possible to use a CART winter mooring as a non permanent address to obtain a TV licence?

For example the CCser happens to find themselves in the centre of a busy town or city one day, mooring on a 24/48 hr post and then wollop, licensing van, boat index, individual prosecution.

So is it possible to use a CART winter mooring as a non permanent address to obtain a TV licence?

For example the CCser happens to find themselves in the centre of a busy town or city one day, mooring on a 24/48 hr post and then wollop, licensing van, boat index, individual prosecution.

I don't think those vans exist any more and anyway weren't they actually fake?

The reality of getting caught without one on a boat I would say is extremely small I would say - to me it just really comes down to an issue of conscience.

The best news bulletin is that of Radio 4 at brealfast time. If the BBC is privatised, doubtless we shall get Dennis the Menace reading it.

The Today programme is very fond of running a headline item that turns out to be an advert for a Panorama programme that evening about something that isn't particularly newsworthy in the first place. They do it regularly.

Edited by journeyperson

The reality of getting caught without one on a boat I would say is extremely small I would say - to me it just really comes down to an issue of conscience.

I am getting worried this it twice today I have agreed with you!

Judging by our experience when we had the shop if they have an address that had a license on their database they pester you with threats of an officer visiting to check. Over ten years of having a flat that had become shops storage and office above the actual shop all we ever had was periodic letters asking why we hadn't license.

They seem to assume all residential addresses have a TV.

You missed Fox News off the list.

George ex nb Alton retired