12V freestanding lamps without transformers

Philippe

Featured Posts

What I would like on my new boat are some freestanding lamps. A small floor standing reading lamp is the first priority, LED preferably. Next would probably be a small table lamp to provide cosy ambient light.

Now all the lamps I find when doing searches for 12V lighting are either those specifically for boating or caravaning which are all designed to be fitted to the wall or ceiling or domestic lights which have transformers built in and plug into the mains.

I don't want to waste power by using the inverter to provide 220V from 12V only to then step down to 12V again. The boat is fitted with 12V round pin sockets throughout and I would like to use these directly.

Is there anywhere that sells 12V freestanding lamps without transformers that could be plugged directly? Or am I going to have to buy one with a transformer and perform some DIY rewiring to remove it and use the onboard 12V instead.

You could buy 12V bulbs with a bayonet cap to fit a standard lamp.

Now that's something I hadn't thought of! :cheers:

That would probably do fine for the table lamp but the kind of floor standing reading lamp I am thinking of is nearly always for a 12V halogen bulb with a built in transformer.

Edited by Philippe

Make sure it is 12v, if so cut off the transformer, put on a plug as above and buy an LED lamp that will fit.

See links for type of fitting. G4 at a guess.

So DIY rewiring is the answer then. Thought it might be but wanted to check if there was an alternative available.

Thanks all! :cheers:

Buy any free standing lamp that you like, change the plug so it can only be plugged into 12v sockets.

Buy LED 12v LED bulbs lamps, you may need an adaptor.

All the LEd suppliers have them.

Bedazzled

Aten

Baddie the pirate

Yep. That's what we intend to do with a couple of lamps we have at home that we don't want to part with when we eventually move onboard.

clapper.gif

Edited by Spuds

To make a nice standard lamp and be the envy of all your friends;----

Get three broomsticks, glue em together, alongside each other not end on end.

Drill three closely connected holes in the prefered position in your floor.

Thread twin flex through the middle of the broomsticks and out at floor lever, stick a 12v plug on it.

Glue the broomdtick standard lamp into the floor holes. Rather than the lamp sticking straight up angle them over a bit the lamp'll look more becoming and nice and quirky like that.

Mount a Bedazzled type 12v LED bulb and adapter on the top and wire up.

Varnish or paint your new lamp to your choice and adorn it with a homemade lamp shade.

Plug it in. Dead cheap and a joy to behold. :closedeyes:

I have one of these lamps, The plug been changed and the transformer bypassed.

Ikea-Lamp.jpg

I modified one like that for the truck to run on 220 AC or 12 DC. the 12V lead plugs into an isolating jack so it won't go silly if some numpty guest switches both supplys on.