Amusing boat names

Chertsey

Featured Posts

In my capacity as Press Officer for the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club, I have been sent the following request:

Hi there

I'm emailing from the One Show at the BBC with an urgent enquiry. On tomorrow's show we are joined by Timothy Spall who is a big boat lover. We wanted to present him with some funny and interesting names people in Britain have given their boats. We thought the narrow boat owners club may be able to help - we need pictures of the boat's name along with whose boat it is and where they are from. As this is for the programme tomorrow we will need to hear back as soon as possible if you can help!

I have replied that historic boats on the whole tend to have pretty dull names, but promised to cast the net for her on the forum. I know this has come up before here and there so any links/repetitions would I'm sure be very welcome. I know she's left it a bit late but can we take that as read... I'd like to get a reputation for being helpful to the press if possible!

Thanks

In my capacity as Press Officer for the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club, I have been sent the following request:

Hi there

I'm emailing from the One Show at the BBC with an urgent enquiry. On tomorrow's show we are joined by Timothy Spall who is a big boat lover. We wanted to present him with some funny and interesting names people in Britain have given their boats. We thought the narrow boat owners club may be able to help - we need pictures of the boat's name along with whose boat it is and where they are from. As this is for the programme tomorrow we will need to hear back as soon as possible if you can help!

I have replied that historic boats on the whole tend to have pretty dull names, but promised to cast the net for her on the forum. I know this has come up before here and there so any links/repetitions would I'm sure be very welcome. I know she's left it a bit late but can we take that as read... I'd like to get a reputation for being helpful to the press if possible!

Thanks

Jim Shead's website has a list of boat names: http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/gwpf.php?wpage=Boat%20List

Send that link to them and they can find their own funnies

Richard

MORE: How about Naughty Cal

Edited by RLWP

'The Dog house' seems to generate some amusement when we meet other boaters and gogoozlers...

Mr. Spail certainly seemed to be in it when we watched him sail out of Banff on BBC4 ...

Jim Shead's website has a list of boat names: http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/gwpf.php?wpage=Boat%20List

Send that link to them and they can find their own funnies

Richard

MORE: How about Naughty Cal

I have sent her a link to this thread, so she can follow up from here.

I wonder whether it's her fault it's been left to the last nanosecond (the email was sent at 5 pm today) or whether someone's dumped it on her...

The Gaggle of Geese , women especially seem to think its funny when i give it as the boats name to book through a tunnel ,lift ,link or even buy fuel , i thought the women at the end of the aquaduct had a feather in her knickers as she had a good old giggle at the gaggle.

I Think At times the name can be quite a powerfull statement, when we purchased Angelwood some 6 months ago after it being saved from its Sinking we toiled with names, alas nothing apt came to us. Indeed The name Angelwood grew it came from a Miss Angel and A certain mr wood. i Didnt Like it any way but its grown as has the boat in my thoughts and indeed my heart, to the point swmbo blurted out a name i really liked the other day but some how i now feel almost reluctant t change.

oh swmbo was reflecting the boat having sank and me allways up to my armpits in something

Deep Down N Dirty, or Down Deep n Dirty ????

Previously i believe it may of been called Bagpuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angelwood (its not that bad a name eh )