Running gear for sliding roof

Featured Posts

Loads of broads hire boats have very similar sliding roofs, a call to someone like Summercraft at Wroxham or Barnes Brinkcraft would probably elicit a result...

Graham!

I can't help with finding the spares for your sliding roof, but good luck with your search .... hang in there ..... you have a bit of pleasure craft history and what looks like a decent cabin top.

Good luck and best wishes

Phil

After something like 36 years service the rollers for this sliding roof don't really roll any more. I don't suppose anyone would happen to know if/where I can source replacements?

I have the exact same problem with the (non)sliding roof on Sir Edmund Hillary. If you do manage to source some of these, then I would be very :cheers: grateful for the info. I have had other priorities so not yet fully investigated, but I started to look at using SLIK sliding door gear, with (welded) modifications. Two of mine are like this (one large brass roller and two SRBP rollers) whilst the other two are nylon rollers only.

Your rollers look renovate-able Graham! I bet they've seized? One of mine has a 'flat' worn on it.

My local sliding door gear agent 'Doorfit' in Birmingham have nothing as 'complex' as these (hence the possible mods) but when I do get around to it, there seems to be quite a few industrial door suppliers 'out there' so I will start my research over again.

Anyone help both of us? :help:

Graham!

I can't help with finding the spares for your sliding roof, but good luck with your search .... hang in there ..... you have a bit of pleasure craft history and what looks like a decent cabin top.

Sadly I can't help, either (unless Bedford CA slider wheels fit, which are available on Ebay) but would like to see some more photos of your classic, please?

Edited by carlt

I wonder if it would be possible to replace these rollers with brass runners in conjunction with any of the modern polymers which feature very low coefficient of friction along with good abrasion resistance?

I'm thinking particularly of UHMWPE (ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene) or the much cheaper Oilon (nylon impregnated with oil).

Edited by blackrose

After something like 36 years service the rollers for this sliding roof don't really roll any more. I don't suppose anyone would happen to know if/where I can source replacements ?

The roof ...

One of the rollers ...

IMG_0464cropped.jpg

IMG_0465cropped.jpg

Where are you based Graham?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Thanks for the replies ....

I have the exact same problem with the (non)sliding roof on Sir Edmund Hillary.<snip> but I started to look at using SLIK sliding door gear, with (welded) modifications....<snip>

I looked at the SLIK rollers (in B&Q) and, ditto, thought about a welded mod to support the otherwise one-sided rollers on both sides. But looking at the SLIK rollers a bit closer I saw that they have a bulge in them which would stop the roof from butting up flush to the sides of them.

<snip> ... Your rollers look renovate-able Graham! I bet they've seized? One of mine has a 'flat' worn on it ...

Not so much seized, rather the main load-bearing wheels are starting to collapse (and very out of true) and are flopping around very loosely on their simple rivet axles.

Sadly I can't help, either (unless Bedford CA slider wheels fit, which are available on Ebay) but would like to see some more photos of your classic, please?

... Some more, of the work in progress this weekend, at the end of this reply :)

I wonder if it would be possible to replace these rollers with brass runners in conjunction with any of the modern polymers which feature very low coefficient of friction along with good abrasion resistance?

I'm thinking particularly of UHMWPE (ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene) or the much cheaper Oilon (nylon impregnated with oil).

I've got plenty of UHMWPE (because I've just bought 10mm sheet to replace the runners on the roof), I was considering making up some new rollers out of the UHMWPE too .... buuuut I don't have a lathe, nor the wherewithall to re-rivet any new rollers into place (there isn't enough spare room to use nuts and bolts for the axles.

Where are you based Graham?

Richard

That's a little complicated ... erm ... Cambs, Norfolk, Hampshire & Berkshire !

Photos .. and a little on-boat archaeology as revealed by the sander ....

The last photo shows some original signwriting that I could just about make out saying something like "Gordons Pleasure Cruisers, Southam 3664" ... haven't Googled this yet, does it mean anything to anyone ?

IMG_0437re-sized.jpg

IMG_0476re-sized.jpg

IMG_0468re-sized.jpg

IMG_0467re-sized.jpg

Edited by Graham!

<snip>

I've got plenty of UHMWPE (because I've just bought 10mm sheet to replace the runners on the roof), I was considering making up some new rollers out of the UHMWPE too .... buuuut I don't have a lathe, nor the wherewithall to re-rivet any new rollers into place (there isn't enough spare room to use nuts and bolts for the axles.

That's a little complicated ... erm ... Cambs, Norfolk, Hampshire & Berkshire !

<snip>

Not very near my workshop and lathe by the sound of it. Unless you know different

Richard

Have you been hung, drawn and quartered?

I've got a similar arrangement to your centre wheel on the lower sliding door gear of the patio door on our conservatory. Its a wheel with a groove round the outside and a bearing in the middle. It's about 1' to 1.5' in diameter. Not had to look at it recently.

Napton narrowboats had a boat for sale about 9 years ago that looked very similar to the one you've got (I remember the sliding GRP roof), and they're only about 4 miles from Southam. It was part of their fleet and they were selling as they were modernising.

The last photo shows some original signwriting that I could just about make out saying something like "Gordons Pleasure Cruisers, Southam 3664" ... haven't Googled this yet, does it mean anything to anyone ?

Gordons Pleasure Cruisers of Napton: Changed hands in 1987 and became Napton Narrowboats from 1990.

Not very near my workshop and lathe by the sound of it. Unless you know different

Richard

Have you been hung, drawn and quartered?

Nothing quite so exciting ... Alas, at my nearest to Kenilworth I'd still be at least 2 hours away (by car), but thanks all the same.

Chalky & Dave69700: Thanks, Just Googled Gordons Pleasure Cruisers too, and seen the refs to Napton Narrow Boats. It'd be interesting to see a list of their hire fleet from the mid-70's.

Edited to add gratuitous boat photo ...

IMG_0539.jpg

Edited by Graham!

• 3 weeks later...