Please don't yawn

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi another newbie question, having just bought a nb my wife wants to replace the cassette type toilet(so fussy) Which is the one preferred by most people. Don't want to have to rig up any plumbing or wiring for it, just straight forward emptying type.

I have looked through all the previous posts but can't find any that have been recommend.

Thanks Tony

Hi another newbie question, having just bought a nb my wife wants to replace the cassette type toilet(so fussy) Which is the one preferred by most people. Don't want to have to rig up any plumbing or wiring for it, just straight forward emptying type.

What's wrong with the current one?

Don't want to have to rig up any plumbing or wiring for it, just straight forward emptying type.

Having gone from a free standing Porta-Potti to a built in Thetford, I'd say its worth thinking again about that: it's so much easier to just pull a cassette out the hatch for emptying, rather than messing around moving the top tank off and then re-filling the flush water afterwards.

MP.

What's wrong with the current one?

It's a bit grotty and fussy wife - taken me all my time to get where we are with the boat and that was a promise - to change the toilet! Basically I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to choosing the best one or most convenient. Just wanted mainly to now if there are any not worth bothering with, that would be a start.

Liked the picture but unfortunately wrong colour. :lol:

Having gone from a free standing Porta-Potti to a built in Thetford, I'd say its worth thinking again about that: it's so much easier to just pull a cassette out the hatch for emptying, rather than messing around moving the top tank off and then re-filling the flush water afterwards.

MP.

definately agree! been static all winter, can't use the locks and have been iced in on a few occassions. The Thetford works for us.

MP.

I agree - I did exactly the same and find the Thetford c200(with removable cassette and electric flush) excellent although of course it will require some wiring/plumbing. Worth the effort if you can do it.

MP.

Yes,

Agree 100%.

The problem with Porta Pottie type ones is having to lift the top off, and "park" it somewhere whilst you deal with the bottom.

The inbuilt Thetford CS-200 type is very much easier to remove the cassette with almost nil bother, (and distinctly more "toilet like").

We have had Thetford C200 type toilets for years in our caravans and would definitely have one when (if?) we have our own boat.

Us too....and they are really good....

(Not sure though why the OP posted here..... should be in equipment surely?)

Edited by MJG

I am aware that the Thetford is very popular but having looked at these recently I am a bit concerned that the operating and sealing mechanisms of the toilet itself and the cassette are quite complex and a bit flimsy.

Has anyone had any leaks or failures?

The Dometic equivalent looks more durable to me although it's more expensive.

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-...uctdataid=89097

I have just fitted one in my motorhome conversion (see sig) I haven't "used" it yet, but I am impressed with the design & quality.

Biggles

I am aware that the Thetford is very popular but having looked at these recently I am a bit concerned that the operating and sealing mechanisms of the toilet itself and the cassette are quite complex and a bit flimsy.

After 5 years of constant use (we live aboard) one cassette had the level indicator fail, after 3 years, fixed by putting my hand inside and bending it back. Also I have just replaced both cassettes lip-seals as they had started to leak.

Cassette is not flimsy or complex and all parts are available as spares.

One VERY important thing is NOT to leave any water in the bowl as this will cause the lip-seals to leak.

Even SWMBO who is very fussy about these things has approved the thetford.

Edited by idleness

I have recently fitted the dometic with the ceramic bowl. The build quality is very good and the flush system much better than the thetford type BUT as I am always honest about what I buy unlike many who pays their money and says all is good when it isnt I must state that the opening mechanism on the dometic with this cassette anyway unless it is faulty is MUCH stiffer than the thetford to operate. It seals well but is very hard for the old girl to operate. I may be unlucky but just letting you all know the facts. I will be buying another cassette to try ( expensive ) lots dearer than thetford and if this is still stiff I will bin it and buy a thetford..such is life :lol:

Regards

Tim

In our caravanning days the only failure we had was 'user error'

Somebody who shall remain nameless thought it would be a good idea to use it whilst I had the cassette out emptying it...... :lol::lol:

(Not sure though why the OP posted here..... should be in equipment surely?)

Thank you all so much and I will follow up on the varies leads but looks like the Thetford C200 is coming out tops with most of you. However, is the C250 any good? Easy to fit?

Why I posted here - no idea - thought I was posting in General Discussion - let's hope I'm better at fitting the toilet than posting on this forum :lol:

Thanks Tony

Edited by rubblequeen

:lol:

I have looked through all the previous posts but can't find any that have been recommend.

Thanks Tony

Here you go.

calt.jpg

No plumbing or wiring, just straightforward emptying. :lol:

Have you considered asking for opinions on the pros and cons of replacing the cassette with a pumpout?

Has anybody seen a remote cassette system?

I was thinking of a nice ceramic classic pedestal style electric toilet with a built in macerator but instead of piping it to a remote pumpout tank I thought it may be nice to have a remote cassette unit.

Paul

Has anybody seen a remote cassette system?

I was thinking of a nice ceramic classic pedestal style electric toilet with a built in macerator but instead of piping it to a remote pumpout tank I thought it may be nice to have a remote cassette unit.

Paul

I dont have a remote cassete but do have a remote cd changer in the boot of the car, :lol: