Oak trim

Featured Posts

Where do I obtain oak trim which is so commonly used during the fitting of narrow boat lining?

Most of the boat builders seem to use the same 'D' section trim for covering the joins so where do they get it from? Surely they don't machine their own?

have you tried the hardwood bits in the wood section containing beeding type things in B&Q? I cant describe the place, but if you ask for a very long piece of dowel they will guide you to the right place.

Yes, if you want just a basic D section maybe 1 1/2" wide, then any of B&Q, Homebase, (and possibly) Wickes is likely supplier.

They are in that bit of the store with all the mouldings, stored in giant end-fed "wine racks".

However it will only be in 2.4 metre lengths, and probably around £6 to £8 per length. (Ouch!)

Far cheaper, if you need any quantity, is to get a timber yard to machine it up to your spec, when much longer lengths will be offered.

The stuff you can buy in B&Q is Richard Burbridge. It comes in pine, rammin and a very dark hard wood. No oak so not really suitable. Not sure about the othe B&Q clones - will check but based on the other stuff they sell i'm not going to hold my breath.

Will look into getting a wood yard to run some throught the spindle molder, but in the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions?

The stuff you can buy in B&Q is Richard Burbridge. It comes in pine, rammin and a very dark hard wood. No oak so not really suitable. Not sure about the othe B&Q clones - will check but based on the other stuff they sell i'm not going to hold my breath.

Will look into getting a wood yard to run some throught the spindle molder, but in the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions?

have yuou looked at the local timber yard? Sometimes they have similar stuffs and it might be in different wood...

Whoops, sorry!

Must learn to read better, before engaging keyboard.

We have oak panels, but trim is in mahogany, (or whatever it's modern day clone is).

So I was thinking of "mahogany-like" trim, not oak.

I still suspect it may be more cost effective to get what you want machined up, rather than looking for it "off the peg".

Good luck!

A few years back I bought a router, router table and cutters for £60, a Bosch one, in one of those local discount tool stores, now I just make my own (short lengths) as and when I need it, very satisfying.

Paul

I've just started to do the same myself. Saved loads of money already, bit it does take some time to do long runs.