Why is this forum becoming a joke !!!

norman18grp

Featured Posts

:) I Wonder How many people read topics on this forum and would love to reply ? But are affraid to as a dedicated Few on here think it is there god given right to shoot down peoples opinions and rain on their parade ! :D

I think its about time the moderators on this Forum looked into this practise as I'm sure it puts off the more timid members from joining in on what should be a fun and friendly site !

If you Don't have a valid point to make Keep it to yourself !

Lets make this site a happy friendly place

Not the utter joke its turning into

Some people on here are dealing with all sorts of problems, the last thing they need is for some sad pathetic person with nothing better to do all day , than sit at their computer making negative posts and being a complete pain in the A#@e !

I'm sure we can turn this Forum around before its too late

Its up to you ?

Edited by norman18grp

Have you been "put down" before today so to speak? I sometimes feel as though i want to reply to some posts but dont , the odd time i have , i have been the last to post on that subject and feel i have bored people with my answer so the topic finishes :) but nevermind i still read other peoples posts

:) I Wonder How many people read topics on this forum and would love to reply ? But are affraid to as a dedicated Few on here think it is there god given right to shoot down peoples opinions and rain on their parade ! :D

I think its about time the moderators on this Forum looked into this practise as I'm sure it puts off the more timid members from joining in on what should be a fun and friendly site !

Some people on here are dealing with all sorts of problems, the last thing they need is for some sad pathetic person with nothing better to do all day , than sit at their computer making negative posts and being a complete pain in the A#@e !

Its up to you ?

I absolutely agree, Simon. This forum gets more like a primary school playground every day. This trend has been commented on in the past and it is interesting to see that the large majority of postings are made by a relatively small number of people. This small group contains a "select few" who spend so much time trying to score points or to rubbish other peoples opinions that the original point of the posting is often lost.

It's sad to see this board degenerate in such a way - it used to be interesting and informative. :P

Howard Anguish

Totally agree it seems some posters prime reason to post is to either extend the original post into an argument and most wh do this are the same few posters.

If this forum is to develop it needs to become more as if you were talking to the person face to face.

Ditto !.......Though I am relatively new to this forum and have a thousand questions to ask, I am just not masochistic enough to face the barrage of ridicule which normally follows from a few knowledgeable but socially unskilled members.

Regards

Steve

In my experience this is the case with many forums on the internet. Yes I am a sad git and live a large part of my life in cyberspace.

The only effective way to deal with this is to ignore those who seem to always be negative as we would in real life. The positive and helpful posts on this site far outweigh the negatives in my opinion and the arguments and discussions can allow you to see both extremes. The truth is probably somewhere in-between!

Ditto !.......Though I am relatively new to this forum and have a thousand questions to ask, I am just not masochistic enough to face the barrage of ridicule which normally follows from a few knowledgeable but socially unskilled members.RegardsSteve
Good post!Lets not forget we are all boaters with the same ideals.
In my experience this is the case with many forums on the internet. Yes I am a sad git and live a large part of my life in cyberspace.The only effective way to deal with this is to ignore those who seem to always be negative as we would in real life. The positive and helpful posts on this site far outweigh the negatives in my opinion and the arguments and discussions can allow you to see both extremes. The truth is probably somewhere in-between!
You have a point, but there are a lot of "Cyber Bullys" out there. Dont hide and ignore them, give them more shit than they give you. They will soon go away to ponder why they are on a national register. :)

I must be reading the wrong ( or is it right?) posts

as I have never thought that this forum has the problem you talk about..

I have been on a fair few forums that DO have 'agenda's'' with new people and will belittle and rubbish them..

but have not seen it here..

yes a few topics degenerate into silly chit chat..but mostly its all good stuff..

I have learned loads here and hope to continue to.. :)

Good post!Lets not forget we are all boaters with the same ideals.You have a point, but there are a lot of "Cyber Bullys" out there. Dont hide and ignore them, give them more shit than they give you. They will soon go away to ponder why they are on a national register. :)

I think that humour can also be an issue. Some people always take the written word at face value whereas the poster may have their tongue firmly in their cheek. This is hard to show on a forum.

You are OK here as long as you are prepared for a bit of flack if:

• You ask anything about electrics
  • Don't do a seach first before you ask a pretty basic question
  • Mention Lager in the VP
  • Forget that Wooden boats, GRP boats, Cruiser sterns & Galvanic Isolators are religious icons

Other than that, you will be fine.

Edited out the last bit as I was afraid of being ridiculed :)

Edited by Christine

Its up to you ?

So will you be displaying one of the new CW signs on you boat then?

Regarding the negative and deriding element, sadly i have to agree with everything that has been said.....

The trouble is these people are apparent in all areas of life, the only difference is using the web as a medium they can get away with their attitude as they are not "face to face" , so my answer is just to ignore them and just see them as being as inept as they are .....

Can you imagine what would happen if one of them spoke to someone the same way in the pub? particularly a complete stranger who was just trying to spark up a conversation about a common subject , or was asking with a genuine interest for advice about an aspect of boating? in my local it would cost them a few teeth!

As for those that enter a post with the "i know best" attitude irrespective of the topic or question and use the forum as an ego booster , to me they must have some serious indequacies in there lives.

Despite all the above , the majority of members seem to me to be genuinly nice friendly helpful people , it is just that minority that need to learn that to gain respect you have to show respect. On a canal enthusiasts forum such as this that should mean boaters , walkers, gongoozlers and also the bwb staff that make it happen! i mention the bwb guys as i have seen a number of negative comments about them... and yes i agree some are not as sociable as they could be at the end of an hard day or week , but over the years when i have needed them they have turned out at all hours and done everything possible to help me on my way.

So, if it is you i am talking about .... and you know who you are.....knock off the attitude and play nicely!

Rick

You are OK here as long as you are prepared for a bit of flack if:

• You ask anything about electrics
  • Don't do a seach first before you ask a pretty basic question
  • Mention Lager in the VP
  • Forget that Wooden boats, GRP boats, Cruiser sterns & Galvanic Isolators are religious icons

Other than that, you will be fine.

Edited out the last bit as I was afraid of being ridiculed :)

Wooden boats!!!! now theres a subject close to the heart, :D I do truly believe that a lot of replies posted are either taken the wrong way or written badly or even posted so as to get reaction. personally i enjoy most of what i read, lots of very useful info and plenty of smirks, and remember, we may not think our knowledge is upto scratch but every comment can be useful to somebody. even tutors can learn from the students. Try and keep it light but remembering we can all be buggers sometimes, especially when the speckled hen is running low, or newcastle brown or robinsons or spitfire or adnams or heaven forbid lar...la....lag......larg.....its no use , i cant bring myself to type it...for me its rum :P

Its up to you ?

I recently had a run in with a couple of the aforementioned on what turned out to be a lengthy and still ongoing thread. When I was told to mind my own business and they would post what they liked, I realised the futility of even acknowledging their existence, and gave up the fight. I tried to voice my irritation with a degree of humour but to no avail.

I enjoy a joke and mild sidetracking from the original topic, but when the hijack reached 40 plus posts, I thought enough was enough and said so.

Yes to moderators keeping their finger on the pulse and stepping in when it gets out of hand

They seem to have disappeared recently so maybe the mods did their stuff after all. We'll probably never know

As a newbie (my first post) I have to agree. There have been some qustions/problems that I have seen and would be pleased to offer some advice but having read through the previous postings do not want to be shot down in flames!

This forum is a good idea and as always the majority are good helpful interesting people but it is being spoiled by a few.

I have the feeling this may be my only post. Why? well my wife misses her garden when we go away so we have flower tubs on the roof which from what I have read so far makes me suspect that I am a natural target for the bullies.

Hi All

I have been here some time, am the third highest poster, so may I just say, the forum has not changed that much, posters come and posters go.

I read evey post (sad I know) if a post offended me, I would PM the poster, politely, and inform them so, not happened yet.

We are lucky in that some of our members are highly qualified in their field and their answers (sometimes to technical) are of great value, yes their communication skills may be a bit suspect but as has been said, the written word does not convey the nuance of the facial expression or the tone of the voice.

If you have got this far and not bored with my ramble, welcome to the forum, do stay, you may just have the piece of knowledge that I am missing.

To you out there that have a question, have a search first, it may have been answered usually within the first two pages (it can wander after that) :) if the answer that you need is not there do ask, you may well get more than one answer you will just need to make a decision as to which one is the one you need.

There is no such thing as a silly/stupid/ignorant question, if you do not ask how will you ever know the answer, most if not all of my knowledge on boating has been from asking questions (still asking), if I do know an answer I will give it and hope it helps someone in their joy of boating etc.

There are many people in this world, we cannot expect to get on with every one of them, those that you cannot, just ignore as you would in the outside world.

If this post offends, just ignore me. :D

Simon

Well done for raising this topic, I agree with you. You will always get a minority who are not tolerant. The issue I have is with the moderators who If I understand the term it is for them to deal with offensive posts, bad language, name calling and set a standard to encourace openess, politeness and tollerance etc and you would expect that they would be prominent in dealing with such issues. However I have noticed a decine in standards over the couple of years that I have been around. Earlier you would see some intervention but now as far as I can see, they do very little. So why do they put themselves forward as moderators? Not going to name names here but I would be interested to know from sone of the more recent moderators just what moderating that have have done, frankly I expect its precious little

Charles

There are many people in this world, we cannot expect to get on with every one of them, those that you cannot, just ignore as you would in the outside world.

As I used to say to my staff - 'If the customer thinks that there is a problem, then there IS a pproblem. It doesn't matter if you think that their perception is wrong. If they are pereceiving a problem, then it IS a problem.'

One of the reasons that I like getting out on the boat is that you meet such nice helpful people along the way to chat to. So I was somewhat taken aback by the tone of this forum. Because I was expecting the same attitude. Which is not to say that there aren't people here with that attitude. Just that their voices get drowned out.

Bear in mind that I mod on a couple of IT sites so I'm used to people holding strong partisan views and having weak social skills.......... :)

I don't think that all these people are queueing up to post on this thread because there isn't a problem. Their perception is that there is. Might have been that way from the start but that doesn't matter. The perception IS the problem.

I can only speak for myself here. I have posted a million questions in my search for knowledge in solving problems and learning more about boats in general.

The help I have received has been invaluable and saved me a fortune in repair bills and I cant praise the members of this forum enough.

Yes we sometimes get the odd bit of sarcasm but its all in good taste so just be a bit thicker skinned and roll with it. As beginners we get far more out of it than we are ever able to give back due to our limited knowledge.

Simon

Well done for raising this topic, I agree with you. You will always get a minority who are not tolerant. The issue I have is with the moderators who If I understand the term it is for them to deal with offensive posts, bad language, name calling and set a standard to encourace openess, politeness and tollerance etc and you would expect that they would be prominent in dealing with such issues. However I have noticed a decine in standards over the couple of years that I have been around. Earlier you would see some intervention but now as far as I can see, they do very little. So why do they put themselves forward as moderators? Not going to name names here but I would be interested to know from sone of the more recent moderators just what moderating that have have done, frankly I expect its precious little

Charles

While I don't quite agree with this post, there are definite truths in what is being stated...

One of the things that I love about this particular online community is the diversity of the subjects on discussion - this is likely to raise problems. I think its fantastic that one minute you could be reading a post about galvanic isolators (whatever the hell they are) and the next something trivial (in the context of the forum) about what cars we have all owned.

I am a member of quite a few forums - some geeky and technical internet stuff, some less technical but equally geeky. This one is unique in its diversity of opinions - and topics.

In my time online - especially forums - there are definitely those that like to spoil a series of arguments/discussions, often by making banal comments that are totally irrelevant, they can continue private jokes for often days, then shoot you down in flames if you make a comment against their fun. LIFE IS LIKE THIS, except that most of the time in our lives we are face to face and can spot the nuances of human interaction (unless we are aspergers).

Its up to you ?

As I don't want to post anything argumentative on this thread I'll PM you.

I recently had a run in with a couple of the aforementioned on what turned out to be a lengthy and still ongoing thread. When I was told to mind my own business and they would post what they liked, I realised the futility of even acknowledging their existence, and gave up the fight. I tried to voice my irritation with a degree of humour but to no avail.

I enjoy a joke and mild sidetracking from the original topic, but when the hijack reached 40 plus posts, I thought enough was enough and said so.

Yes to moderators keeping their finger on the pulse and stepping in when it gets out of hand

They seem to have disappeared recently so maybe the mods did their stuff after all. We'll probably never know

On one particular point in the above Chris, you are off the mark. It is not, generally, the moderators' job to keep threads on topic. Nor is it the duty of self appointed Topic Police to patrol boards for criminals daring to post off topic. That is because going off topic is not wrong, offensive or even important. It is of no consequence. A large number of threads wander off and it is nearly always because the original theme has been exhausted in that people are no longer contributing to it. If though people do wish to keep contributing to the original, then obviously it will be back. Thus it is self policing automatically.

What is far worse than going off topic is those who post off topic messages to the effect that the thread has gone off topic, whilst at the same time having nothing to contribute to the topic itself!

Your message above is a good example of going off topic by the way because the complaint in the original message was not about off topic threads as such, it was about the attitude of some readers towards others and bad feelings developing etc. which has nothing to do with off topic messages.

Off topicness by itself is not a matter that matters at all

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

On one particular point in the above Chris, you are off the mark. It is not, generally, the moderators' job to keep threads on topic. Nor is it the duty of self appointed Topic Police to patrol boards for criminals daring to post off topic. That is because going off topic is not wrong, offensive or even important. It is of no consequence. A large number of threads wander off and it is nearly always because the original theme has been exhausted in that people are no longer contributing to it. If though people do wish to keep contributing to the original, then obviously it will be back. Thus it is self policing automatically.

What is far worse than going off topic is those who post off topic messages to the effect that the thread has gone off topic, whilst at the same time having nothing to contribute to the topic itself!

Your message above is a good example of going off topic by the way because the complaint in the original message was not about off topic threads as such, it was about the attitude of some readers towards others and bad feelings developing etc. which has nothing to do with off topic messages.

Off topicness by itself is not a matter that matters at all

regards

Steve

Nice bit of irony there then!

:)