does size matter ??

matrix

Featured Posts

If your planning to move it for 58 weeks of the year, with just four odd weeks of not moving, you get a diffrent boat!!

Dhutch - could you tell me where to get one of your years? I could do with a bit more time to get things done. Is it from the same place that does 25-hour days?

Living at the end of the Calder and Hebble, I think I'll be going for 57' but am tempted to go for 60'. However I have my doubts about single handing 60' through the Salterhebble locks. Anyone want to lend me a 60' boat to experiment with? :mellow:

It's only the two locks that are a real pain and then only coming down. There are pounds for the winding.............single handed.........very tricky but possible. Early in the morning, no one to hassle you or snigger...........mmmmm.

By the way have you had any offers of a loan yet :P

• 1 month later...

hi having read your comments i were wondrin if i start out on the severn/ avon what length narrowboat can i get away with to travel up and thru the whole system i realise from what u say there will be a couple of canals or rather locks that wont stand over 57 feet but forgetting the odd few how big can you gosorry kennet and avonsorry kennet and avon

Hi There,

Read you post regarding a new build and thought i would offer some help.

Our customers who are liveaboards go for a narrowboat between 58 and 60 ft. We seem the get more customers looking for a 60ft narrowboat now as storage is an important issue when living aboard.

You do need to consider where abouts you will be crusing and as mentioned the cost of moorings and licences are higher the longer the narrowboat.

We have just completed a 60ft which will be going in Water Ways world in the Feb or March issue. This customer lives aboard on his own but still requested storage to be the most important thing in his design. He has had a 60ft narrowboat but it has not all been used up as cabin space because he wanted a larger deck to use and because he thought it looks nicer.

Please visit the website if you would like anymore information or contact me.

www.benharpnarrowboats.co.uk

Thanks

Kelly

so i take it a 70 narrowboat will go near enough everywhere ??

Yes, but have a look at the link I posted before, (if you haven't already done so) there are approximately 11 places that you could not get through, some in Scotland (not connected to English system), Wales also again not connected to the English system.

Now where the canals you cannot visit are really ones that you must do, you could always hire for a week.

If you want a boat that will do 99% of the system then go for a 57' narrowboat but just think of all that extra room 13' would give you.

As an aside, when we first planned our boat (liveaboard) we started with 57' (to do the whole system) but that has increased to 63' at the moment, so that for the majority of the time we are on the system we will have the room required to live comfortably.

I cannot see the reason to restrict your living space for the ability to perhaps use the restricted canals for a very short period of using the boat

Yes, but have a look at the link I posted before, (if you haven't already done so) there are approximately 11 places that you could not get through, some in Scotland (not connected to English system), Wales also again not connected to the English system.

Now where the canals you cannot visit are really ones that you must do, you could always hire for a week.

If you want a boat that will do 99% of the system then go for a 57' narrowboat but just think of all that extra room 13' would give you.

As an aside, when we first planned our boat (liveaboard) we started with 57' (to do the whole system) but that has increased to 63' at the moment, so that for the majority of the time we are on the system we will have the room required to live comfortably.

I cannot see the reason to restrict your living space for the ability to perhaps use the restricted canals for a very short period of using the boat

i have looked at the site you sent me nd bookmarked it thanks yes i think you r right if you can get round most of the system with a 70 foot boat then you cant really deny the extra 13 feet would be ggrate . there dosnt seem to be loads of 70 foot narrows around but i will find some no doubt

We were planning on a 70ft tug for a liveaboard for two adults, two toddlers and three cats. We too started at 58' then went up to 65' then back to 62' and finally up to 70'. After many different layout designs we decided that we needed the extra space that 70' would give us.

This was the plan up until a week ago, and has now changed. :D

My missus still wasn't 100% comfortable with the amount of space with two toddlers so following a chat with the boat builder we are now going to have a......60' by 10' widebeam!

Was quite surprised that there isn't any real additional cost from the builder by swapping from 70' narrow to 60' wide.

We were planning on a 70ft tug for a liveaboard for two adults, two toddlers and three cats. We too started at 58' then went up to 65' then back to 62' and finally up to 70'. After many different layout designs we decided that we needed the extra space that 70' would give us.

This was the plan up until a week ago, and has now changed. :D

My missus still wasn't 100% comfortable with the amount of space with two toddlers so following a chat with the boat builder we are now going to have a......60' by 10' widebeam!

Was quite surprised that there isn't any real additional cost from the builder by swapping from 70' narrow to 60' wide.

I bought an ex Black Prince 71'6" NB from Alvechurch in June. Cruised it to Bishopton on the Stratford Upon Avon [narrow] canal. Spent two months re-fitting it then took it down to Engineer's Wharf in London [179 locks, 10 days] down the Grand Union [broad] without a problem. It was a bit tight in one or two locks, I had to keep an eye on the cill, but apart from that no problems. My student son and a fellow student now live on it and take it in and out of London [Paddington Basin] every week. he has been round most of the London canals without any problem. It's not particularly bad to handle [no bow thrusters] they do really well and have coped with everything that they have come across. and they have a large dining/tv lounge kitchen, one fixed double bed room, wc/shower/washroom, large study/lounge which has a double fouton in it, second wc, little washing room, 4 single wardrobes and numerous cubby holes and shelves, a single bedroom and study, plus a cruiser stern that seats six and a nice little bow deck. The space is fantastic... certainly bigger and cheaper than a flat in London and he's acquired a new hobby and is fast becoming a marine engineer. All in all, a big boat has been great for us up to now!

Cheers

Ian

I bought an ex Black Prince 71'6" NB from Alvechurch in June. Cruised it to Bishopton on the Stratford Upon Avon [narrow] canal. Spent two months re-fitting it then took it down to Engineer's Wharf in London [179 locks, 10 days] down the Grand Union [broad] without a problem. It was a bit tight in one or two locks, I had to keep an eye on the cill, but apart from that no problems. My student son and a fellow student now live on it and take it in and out of London [Paddington Basin] every week. he has been round most of the London canals without any problem. It's not particularly bad to handle [no bow thrusters] they do really well and have coped with everything that they have come across. and they have a large dining/tv lounge kitchen, one fixed double bed room, wc/shower/washroom, large study/lounge which has a double fouton in it, second wc, little washing room, 4 single wardrobes and numerous cubby holes and shelves, a single bedroom and study, plus a cruiser stern that seats six and a nice little bow deck. The space is fantastic... certainly bigger and cheaper than a flat in London and he's acquired a new hobby and is fast becoming a marine engineer. All in all, a big boat has been great for us up to now!

Cheers

Ian

thanks ian nice one

• 2 weeks later...

can i bring it up here widebeam or narrow . widebeam offers so much more room and may be a better option for us big question at the back of my mind is where can we go . will we be able to travel around the system or would we be restricted to one river ? yes i know i have looked on the map but i m not sure if maps our latest or not plus it is better to here it from the horses mouth so to speak

Colin

Widebeam can be used in the north or the south, narrow can be used on the whole system except where length is a problem.

Only you can decide if you wish to have wide or narrow.

The canals are two hundred years old and have not changed dramatically in the last fifty.

So if your map is less than fifty years old it will give you a good idea of where you can or cannot go.

I think I gave you this before but here it is again Jim Sheads map of the canal system, you will see that it is the canals in the Midlands stop you travelling between north and south with a widebeam

I do not mind talking.

I have given you some information, that to the best of my knowledge will give you the information you require, ie where a widebeam or narrowboat can be used.

I am having a narrowboat built because that it is what I want, I made this decision after a lot of thought and research.

What do you want me to say, I cannot and will not make the decision for you.

Ask a question anywhere on this forum and if it is within my knowledge I will answer it, I am also sure that all the other members will do the same.

What we cannot do is make the final decision for you.

if anyone wants to know where to go with a wide beam see this sight here really good http://www.waterways.org.uk/Waterways/Usef...on/LivingAfloatthere thats that topic finished lets think of another shall we oh i know whats the fishing like on the canals like at the moment heres the answer ........As a rule the fish go dormant and hardly feed when the water temperature drops i.e. winter time. The pike however are a different matter and relish in catching the slower moving fish. Get some live bait (used to buy small trout from a trout farm) and get some local info as to where local pike hotspots are. Plenty of warm clothing and hot drinks are a must cus its sometimes a long unrewarding daytaken straight from the complete angler by izaac walton well done that man quite a topic that one

:P Colin, I don't recall Izaak Walton advocating buying trout from a trout farm!

If you want to talk about fishing, then post something in the "Fishing, Cycling and Walking" forum, and let this topic get back on track! :D

Janet

57/58ft is the most you can be and go everywhere.

- A longer boat wont be able to make certain canals, such as the heble and calder.

- 60 odd ft will do the leedes and liverpool, much longer and it wont be able to.

- 70 odd ft will do most of the narrow canals, but basicaly non of the wide ones.

- 80ft and your totally screwed in the uk....

But yeah, its a balance thing.

- Longer boat gives more space, but less flexablity for crusing on certain canals.

Daniel

Do you know the max length on the wide canals please?

Do you know the max length on the wide canals please?

Hi Hunter.

There are several sources of that sort of information, I think Jim Shead has already been mentioned, the problem is that there is always some smart Alex that will come up with minor exceptions.. But by and large the wide canals will have a maximum length somewhere between 57 and 63 feet, the diagonal thing does not come into play with wide beam boats of course.. The Rochdale canal has full 72 feet length locks but it is inevitably something of a one way trip as the Calder & Hebble which it joins at the Yorkshire end is only nom. 57 ft.

So as is said so many times on here and elsewhere if you want to travel around settle for 57 feet.. You will probably find that builders are reluctant to make anything longer anyway.