Blog site for The Maisibert

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Had a phone call today to say that the engine was commisioned and is up and running, can not wait for the next visit to Stoke as we have waited so long to hear our boat come to life.

We were a bit worried about the engine as the previous boat fitter had left it to winter in a damp hull with parts removed.

boat2202.jpg

boat2207.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Maisibert has had its first review.

A member of another canal boat forum paid a visit to Heartwood Narrow boats and posted a report on the forum site, Its like having a new baby were you think yours is the most beutiful but unless somebody else tells you something different.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

I like it.

Just a thought and you may totally disregard it :lol: , would it be better if the sink was re-fitted 180°.

My reasoning, somewhere to put the dirty 'crocs' and the 'wiper upper' can stand in the gangway and place the dry 'crocs' on the surface next to the hob.

I didn't have a preference when mine was built until it occured to me that most boats, if not all, sit bow high in the water. If the draining board is towards the stern it wont drain, hence mine is on the bow side of the sink.

I didn't have a preference when mine was built until it occured to me that most boats, if not all, sit bow high in the water. If the draining board is towards the stern it wont drain, hence mine is on the bow side of the sink.

I did discuss this matter with the fitter and he has assured me it should not cause a problem

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
That is a gorgeous electrical panel. I have always been disappointed looking around beautiful boats and then seeing ugly standard panels and instruments that just stick out and ruin the entire look. I had just started to assume they were all ugly as sin.

Although we specified the best system for use and left the fitter to use his experiance, I think Paul has not only done that but has found a system that fits in with the modern look of the boat.

Regards

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

The boat is now reaching its final stages, the pictures below show the bedroom and engine room with the woodwork treated Paul has managed to find space for the two fold up bikes in the engine room we can not wait to see how he has managed that.

We have now got to make the final decisions on the signwriting and some designs to break up the cream on the sides and get The Maisibert ready for the launch on the 3rd May 2008.

P1010220.jpg

P1010232.jpg

Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have mis typed the date in a previous post, the actual date is the 3rd March 2008. We were meant to retire in 2008 but due to the money lost to the first boat fitter we have had to postpone retirement until 2009.

Heartwood Narrowboats offered to store the boat until we were ready to put her in the water but as the boat is named as a tribute to my parents we thought it was only fitting to put her in the water on what would have been my mums birthday.

This means we can carry out some cruising around the Stoke area to elminate the little teething problems and have them sorted out before we move the boat to the moorings.

Regards

Andy

It acts more as a guard, a friend of ours slipped whilst coming down the steps on her boat and grabbed the flue to steady her self and recieved a burn to her hand so we specified the guard to be fitted to the Lockgate stove.

But it still gets quite warm.

Regards

Andy