Ex-Hire Boats...

Featured Posts

Ours is an ex black prince with an owner in between. Fortunately this one survived pretty well, which is a miracle given it's rocky past.

Excellent. Congratulations! Ours has had only two short-term owners in between.

Another little trait I've noticed even from the new ones that trundle past, is that they enjoy a good list to one side! We're playing havoc with ours by shifting boxes of CDs and books from one side to another while we're fixing the boat up inside. :cheers::help:

Yup, can vouch for that little trait. We have refitted the galley and saloon out and we were almost tipped over during some of it. We have two pump out toilets, one on each side towards the middle and towards the back and whe know exactly when it's pump out time as even with equal use of both toilets, we still list one way!!

We have put a rather heavy slab over on one side now which helps no end, and after some attention to the paint work, we might have us a decent boat. Everything now is not hire boat looking at all, apart from the darn orange curtains, which I see as every black prince boat trundles past, but I can't afford to replace them all yet, so I am stuck with them until I find or make some new ones!

do you have 'the curtains?'

Everything now is not hire boat looking at all, apart from the darn orange curtains

...do you have 'the curtains?'

We had blue curtains, which were spectacularly faded and mildewy in places and have been gradually sacrificed to soak up the dripping water coming through the windows in the recent pooey weather! :cheers: We've now got wooden venetian blinds from IKEA which look much smarter and make the cabins feel wider inside.

It takes a good six weeks before we risk 'overflow'. but then there are four of us!!!

blinds might be a good idea, although we have really pretty little panel nets up to stop the 'lookers' who will look right up to your windows despite you sitting right there!!

I might have a bash at making them, or have someone do it. Just anything but those!!!

I wasn't sure about venetian blinds - at first I wanted roller blinds. But when I saw that Ikea do wooden ones in the right size for a bargain price, that helped! They do super-duper cheap ones in pale wood at just £10 (and when you've 13 windows, it needs to be super duper cheap!) but ours were in a dark reddish wood that happens to match the colour of the window frames and trimming on the boat - and they were £17 each.

Still worth it though as they've completely changed the space. And the slats can be partially tilted open on the towpath side to let light in and keep all but the very shortest noseybonks' stares out! :help:

Oh - and another interesting ex-hire boat trait (I suspect), is the exsistence of one electrical socket. A car lighter socket hanging from a wire and a corresponding brown hairdryer in a drawer. :cheers:

Yup, can vouch for that little trait. We have refitted the galley and saloon out and we were almost tipped over during some of it. We have two pump out toilets, one on each side towards the middle and towards the back and whe know exactly when it's pump out time as even with equal use of both toilets, we still list one way!!

We have put a rather heavy slab over on one side now which helps no end, and after some attention to the paint work, we might have us a decent boat. Everything now is not hire boat looking at all, apart from the darn orange curtains, which I see as every black prince boat trundles past, but I can't afford to replace them all yet, so I am stuck with them until I find or make some new ones!

do you have 'the curtains?'

Afternoon, I have curtains!!!! I mean I have curtains to sell!!!, they a lovely, we have recently changed our curtains on our 47 ft ex Silsdens boats hire boat(although she was only hired for 5 months), the curtains are 4 sets of short, beautifully hand made and lined, and one pair longer for the front of the boat, I will measure them and maybe can e-mail a pic, of course depending on how many windows you have!!!

Wendy Mr Jinks

Edited by Mr Jinks

Oh Wendy that sounds good. Please do e-mail me a pic if you have one. It's something I could certainly do with!!!

Edited to say I have four windows that are within the saloon and galley which I would really love to replace if nothing else so four sets is ideal.

Edited by StoneHenge

I wasn't sure about venetian blinds - at first I wanted roller blinds. But when I saw that Ikea do wooden ones in the right size for a bargain price, that helped! They do super-duper cheap ones in pale wood at just £10 (and when you've 13 windows, it needs to be super duper cheap!) but ours were in a dark reddish wood that happens to match the colour of the window frames and trimming on the boat - and they were £17 each.

Still worth it though as they've completely changed the space. And the slats can be partially tilted open on the towpath side to let light in and keep all but the very shortest noseybonks' stares out! :cheers:

Are these the ones you mean? I presume you had to cut them down because not many boat windows are 1.5m deep!

Looks like a good solution, though, especially for 'saloon' windows rather than 'bedroom' windows (one of the latter being a porthole anyway). We inherited 'orrible faded blue curtains too (though not an ex-hire boat, sorry if this hijacks the thread).

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00084325

:cheers:

Oh Wendy that sounds good. Please do e-mail me a pic if you have one. It's something I could certainly do with!!!

Edited to say I have four windows that are within the saloon and galley which I would really love to replace if nothing else so four sets is ideal.

Afternoon, The curtains are 4 pairs of 87cm drop and one set longer, can I have your email address to send you a pic?, as I don't know how to post a pic on this site, and my son is on holiday!!!! Wendy Mr Jinks :help:

Are these the ones you mean? I presume you had to cut them down because not many boat windows are 1.5m deep!Looks like a good solution, though, especially for 'saloon' windows rather than 'bedroom' windows (one of the latter being a porthole anyway). We inherited 'orrible faded blue curtains too (though not an ex-hire boat, sorry if this hijacks the thread). www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00084325
Yes they're the ones. They were super easy to cut down - you just pull out the bungs in the bottom slat that secure the string ladder, slide out as many slats as you don't need, cut the excess "ladder" string and whack the bungs back in. The desctructions for how to shorten them are on the back of the label in the packet.In the shop there were cheaper ones too, in a paler natural wood colour (not the LINDMON range) but I can't seem to see those on the website.
So.....on balance would you recommend an ex-BP? We are on the cusp of selling our NB and are looking for something bigger
We've only had ours three weeks. Perhaps Stonehenge might be better qualified to answer that?We're happy so far... apart from the leaking windows, but could be worse!

Yes they're the ones. They were super easy to cut down - you just pull out the bungs in the bottom slat that secure the string ladder, slide out as many slats as you don't need, cut the excess "ladder" string and whack the bungs back in. The desctructions for how to shorten them are on the back of the label in the packet.In the shop there were cheaper ones too, in a paler natural wood colour (not the LINDMON range) but I can't seem to see those on the website.We've only had ours three weeks. Perhaps Stonehenge might be better qualified to answer that?We're happy so far... apart from the leaking windows, but could be worse!

Thanks BSP. Methinks a trip to Ashton might be looming (at least the memsahib will enjoy it).