Doug Moore Boats

Featured Posts

Just a coment on Doug Moore Boats. We used to moor at Lower park when he was building boats and renting out a boat called Rosie. I saw him sail off in to the distance after cleaning his boat. I saw him a few years later at Worsley. There are a few boats round barnoldswick that are D.M. boats. Kashmir that moves up and down. Dove that is now back at Lower park and Lawrence at top fo greenberfield locks. Lawrence used to be called Marsden mist then Marsden. It has been painted a few times but I think it still needs fitting out. The D.M. boats all have his D.M. mark on the back of the boat where the rope fastens. :lol:

For what its worth we rented Rosie from Doug Moore in 1991 after my wife and children treat me to a days hire on one of the small narrowboats he hired by the day as a birthday present. At the time Rosie and the other two boats named Punch and Judy were what seemed like new. It all seems like yesterday to me as I have been away from boats since then so those memories are nearly all I have. Doug moore boats I seem to remember were alledged to have continously curving lines and had such a good swim profile that they handled as good in reverse as forward, sadly this memory will have spoiled my future involvement as I have never handled anything else if that is true. I fell into the trap after being smitten by those few days of building my own shell with the help of a good friend who was a welder shortly afterwards. Doug moore would still be laughing if he had seen it although we were quite pleased with it. Sadly my friend died and I ran out of money and gave it away in two halves which I understand were eventually made into a boat. My wife and I are now selling up and taking the inevitable plunge into liveaboard life, you instinctively know when the time is right. I hope you get something interesting from my memories and hope to see you on the cut sometime, good luck.

Rosie is currently based at Lymm on the Bridgewater Canal... actually moored fairly close to two other Doug Moore boats...

I know the owner and he is very pleased with the boat too. It's just been out on the slipway at Lymm and one thing I did notice is the longer than normal rear swim. A very nice boat indeed.

John has a website about Rosie and his Camper Van which can be found here: Planet Melling

Rosie is currently based at Lymm on the Bridgewater Canal... actually moored fairly close to two other Doug Moore boats...

I know the owner and he is very pleased with the boat too. It's just been out on the slipway at Lymm and one thing I did notice is the longer than normal rear swim. A very nice boat indeed.

John has a website about Rosie and his Camper Van which can be found here: Planet Melling

Thanks for that :lol:

Strumble went out on her first hire yesterday to a lovely Aussie couple and they instantly fell in love with it. We have spent a small fortune in the past 2 months bringing her up to hire standard and I am sure she will allow many people who are daunted by a 60ft boat to have a go.

• 2 weeks later...

We are proud owners of a 52' Doug Moore boat having inherited it from my parents who had it built for them in 1984 by Doug, and we all became good friends. There are not many boats with such distinctive lines about. We have some work to do on the exterior which is need of rubbing down and re-coaching. Our interior, unfortunately, is not up to Doug's high standard as it was fitted on a budget by my father, but it is very practical. Once we have addressed the odd bits of rust we hope she will give us many more years of wonderful cruising. We have logs of all my parents boating, including two five year stints in France, which we hope (someday) to transcribe and publish!

Penny Mackenzie

We are proud owners of a 52' Doug Moore boat having inherited it from my parents who had it built for them in 1984 by Doug, and we all became good friends. There are not many boats with such distinctive lines about. We have some work to do on the exterior which is need of rubbing down and re-coaching. Our interior, unfortunately, is not up to Doug's high standard as it was fitted on a budget by my father, but it is very practical. Once we have addressed the odd bits of rust we hope she will give us many more years of wonderful cruising. We have logs of all my parents boating, including two five year stints in France, which we hope (someday) to transcribe and publish!

Penny Mackenzie

Another one ! Hurrah - out of the 45 or so boats built by Doug I have now seen or heard from about 15 of the owners. Any chance of mailing some shots?

(e-mail via website in signature to stop those delightful spam merchants)

Another one ! Hurrah - out of the 45 or so boats built by Doug I have now seen or heard from about 15 of the owners. Any chance of mailing some shots?

Richard, here is one of John and May Bennett with her in France ...

heortfordia_france.jpg

I have put some more recent pictures at http://www.mackz.net/heortfordia/nb_heortfordia_photoindex.htm ://http://www.mackz.net/heortfordia/nb...photoindex.htm

Regards - Colin

Wonderful. It really is no wonder these boats turn heads.

Edited by RichardH

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Richard.

Doug Moore boats were very much at the top of the tree at one time, built in Yorkshire somewhere, Dewsbury rings a bell. They seemed to disappear about twenty years ago (but that is very much a guess). Very classy boats in traditional style, don't remember seeing a cruiser style but it is always dangerous saying things like that on this site.

I've just noticed another Doug Moore boat for sale, on apolloduck...

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=123627

Cheers, Mike

I've just noticed another Doug Moore boat for sale, on apolloduck...

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=123627

So that's £40K for a 26 year old 57 foot boat, with a BMC that "needs some tidying", then........

Better stand back and avoid the stampede! :lol:

Doug Moore originally built boats on the old slip at Riley Green. The yard had been used by the Crook family for many years as a boat building and timber yard. It was an historic place, where all the buildings were built with knees, just like a wooden boat. In fact, some had been repaired using the remains of old boats. The toilet was the cabin off a motor boat raised up, with wooden walls to p against. Doug lived on the former Canal Transport Ltd boat Weaver, and moved to Barnoldswick when the Riley Green yard was pulled down and a pub built on the site. Doug continued to build boats at Barnoldswick for another ten of fifteen years before retiring. His boats had a reputation for good strength and detailing, though you paid for quality - as you should.

Just for your general interst Doug and Marie are well and seemingly happy and living in France. The boats Doug built were very good indeed.

Phil

Daughter and Son-in-law used to own a Doug Moore boat.

Little Trooper, formerly Dinah. Still going strong. but with a new superstructure by Ian Gregory

• 10 months later...

I saw on some ones blog [ Can`t for the life of me remember who`s] that he has one of his own built boats on one of the french canals & that he also lives over here Though i don`t know the canal or if he is a liveaboard

I saw on some ones blog [ Can`t for the life of me remember who`s] that he has one of his own built boats on one of the french canals & that he also lives over here Though i don`t know the canal or if he is a liveaboard

Doug built Firefly for himself. The last I heard he was indeed in France.

What, vertical?

We met Pearl Barley on our travels last year - looks gorgeous and sounds it too, has a serious engine though I can't remember what make.

Pearl Barley has a Perkins D3 152 which, coincidentally is the engine in our new tug which will be on hire and at Crick next year

And yes......they do sound phenominal.

• 2 years later...

‘Heortfordia’ is for sale. [52’ built at Barnoldswick by Doug in 1982 for John & May Bennett.]

We have reluctantly decided to sell her as we are moving to Scotland. She is in good condition for her age but needs a repaint and to be used. Currently in Brinklow Marina, Warwickshire.

Priced for a quick sale. If anyone is interested her details are advertised on http://apolloduck.com

Colin & Penny Mackenzie

Edited by Heortfordia