Doug Moore Boats

Featured Posts

Hi Richard.

Doug Moore boats were very much at the top of the tree at one time, built in Yorkshire somewhere, Dewsbury rings a bell. They seemed to disappear about twenty years ago (but that is very much a guess). Very classy boats in traditional style, don't remember seeing a cruiser style but it is always dangerous saying things like that on this site.

I cant add much apart from the fact the boatyard was at Barnoldswick.

Some friends of mine have a doug Moore boat, it is just lovely, well built, good quality, dates from around late eighties I think, it's called the Pearl Barley there are some pictures of it on the leeds liverpool canal society page.

I cant add much apart from the fact the boatyard was at Barnoldswick.

Well I never........that's where I live.

Thanks for the info to date guys.

I've seen Pearl Barley and she is a super looking boat.

Ally - have you a link to the L&L soc page.

Edited by RichardH

Well I never........that's where I live.

Well I never too - that's where i live! What a small world.

I'd heard that Doug Moore worked from Lower Park Marina, Barnoldswick (henceforth referred to in my posts as 'Barlick' because that's what us Barlickers call it) but when I asked if he still did, they shook their head sadly. In the chandlery shop there's a small brass plaque for sale with his name on it - it would make a great Xmas prezzie for you friends :rolleyes:

I don't know anything else about Doug Moore but people always seem to speak of him with a touch of reverence.

• 1 month later...

hello one and all

i have a doug moore narrow boat named alice no1 she a 1981 57 foot trad found her in derby and im just about to bring her back home i live in colne lancs about 3 miles from barlick. all i can add to these comments is that alice no1 is a stunning boat very well made needs a full repaint but thats all.

Hi Agostine

I now know someone who worked with Doug Moore. I'll post on our local website (www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk) and hopefully we'll be able to link you up.

I'm away for a few days so I might not be able to reply immediately.

hello one and all

i have a doug moore narrow boat named alice no1 she a 1981 57 foot trad found her in derby and im just about to bring her back home i live in colne lancs about 3 miles from barlick. all i can add to these comments is that alice no1 is a stunning boat very well made needs a full repaint but thats all.

I know there are a lot of boats called Alice, but I remember one a few years go built about 1981 with a long elegant bow and a long foredeck, and i am sure it was a Doug Moore. I heard that the owner had given up boating quite recently but do not know what happened to the boat,

It's not the same boat by any chance? The owner I knew was called Gordon.

I know there are a lot of boats called Alice, but I remember one a few years go built about 1981 with a long elegant bow and a long foredeck, and i am sure it was a Doug Moore. I heard that the owner had given up boating quite recently but do not know what happened to the boat, It's not the same boat by any chance? The owner I knew was called Gordon.
hello it is the same boat but gordon is now dead and i got the boat of his son im looking forward to restoring her.
Some photos would be greatWhere are you planning to moor her?
hi her new moorings are to be at barrowford top lock a stunning place for a stunning boat very fitting.
Hi AgostineI now know someone who worked with Doug Moore. I'll post on our local website (www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk) and hopefully we'll be able to link you up.I'm away for a few days so I might not be able to reply immediately.
hi that would be good id like to try and find out more about the man who built her

hello it is the same boat but gordon is now dead and i got the boat of his son im looking forward to restoring her.

I am sorry to learn of Gordan's death. I used to get on quite well with him when he moored Alice on the K&A, but lost touch when he moved to the Langollen Canal (I think).

I am suprised at your statement that you are looking forward to restoring her, as Alice was always immacuate when I knew the boat. Somewhere I have some photos of Alice taken in the 1990's, I would happily pass them on to you if you would like them. PM me your address if you are interested.

• 1 year later...
Nearly 2 years on I am giddy as I am in striking distance of my very own Doug Moore........

Watch this space.

Striking distance sounds good Richard - good luck!

Best wishes to a (hopefully soon to be) fellow DM boat owner

Edited by Ange

We hired the newly-built Rosie from Doug Moore back in the eighties - he was hiring her out to (what he thought were) prospective puchasers. We didn't know much about boat quality then, but the fit out was very high quality indeed, and she elicited much admiration all the way down to Castleford and back. Recently we saw her on (I think) the Leigh Branch - a bit worse for wear, but still a very attractive boat. At the time of hire I remember she was insured for rather more than our house.

We called in at his former yard at Barnoldswick last year. They may be able to give you some info.

Mac

• 1 month later...

Well we are now the proud owners of a Doug Moore.

32ft Strumble on of only around 45 DM boats built here in Barnoldswick where we run the hire fleet from.

In stunning condition with a new bottom on last year and quite honestly looking externally like a new boat.

Just a few jobs to do and then the Leeds Liverpool will have the equivelent of Avis renting out an MG Midget.

I have a photo but it is 4mb so if anyone can remind me how to post that would be smashing.

Edited by RichardH

RichardH: Congrats on getting a DM!!

:lol: Sounds like we ought to have a Banter round Barrowford/Barlick area - there's quite a few of us in this neck of the woods!

I hope to get out next week on the boat (nothing so revered as a DM I'm afraid!) if the weather picks up. How are the water levels in the L&L summit pound a the moment? Has the recent rain helped any? //Mike

Doug Moore originally built boats on the old slip at Riley Green. The yard had been used by the Crook family for many years as a boat building and timber yard. It was an historic place, where all the buildings were built with knees, just like a wooden boat. In fact, some had been repaired using the remains of old boats. The toilet was the cabin off a motor boat raised up, with wooden walls to p against. Doug lived on the former Canal Transport Ltd boat Weaver, and moved to Barnoldswick when the Riley Green yard was pulled down and a pub built on the site. Doug continued to build boats at Barnoldswick for another ten of fifteen years before retiring. His boats had a reputation for good strength and detailing, though you paid for quality - as you should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well we are now the proud owners of a Doug Moore.

32ft Strumble on of only around 45 DM boats built here in Barnoldswick where we run the hire fleet from.

In stunning condition with a new bottom on last year and quite honestly looking externally like a new boat.

Just a few jobs to do and then the Leeds Liverpool will have the equivelent of Avis renting out an MG Midget.

I have a photo but it is 4mb so if anyone can remind me how to post that would be smashing.