Doug Moore Boats

Featured Posts

• 6 months later...

hello one and all

i have a doug moore narrow boat named alice no1 she a 1981 57 foot trad found her in derby and im just about to bring her back home i live in colne lancs about 3 miles from barlick. all i can add to these comments is that alice no1 is a stunning boat very well made needs a full repaint but thats all.

hello one and all

i have a doug moore narrow boat named alice no1 she a 1981 57 foot trad found her in derby and im just about to bring her back home i live in colne lancs about 3 miles from barlick. all i can add to these comments is that alice no1 is a stunning boat very well made needs a full repaint but thats all.

Hi there, I personally know Alice No1. She belonged to Gordon Clements, who very sadly passed away from cancer a 7 years ago :( I am his eldest grandson & used to go & stay with him every summer from the age of 11, up untill he died. Alice was loved by him very much & always kept her looking her best. I have some photos of her, but I would love to see how she looks now, I very much miss spending time on her with my grandad & they will forever be in my heart :-) I also met Doug & Marie when they were based in Barnoldswick, although I only ever met them once in about 1993-94 & it was the 1st time Doug had seen Alice No1 since he'd finished building her. I know that they retired a few years later and headed off towards London in the last boat that Doug built (Firefly), which was a near replica of Alice No1, apart from it was about 70ft? I think :-) Alice being the 1st boat he built when he set up his own business, but having J&J crook's name on her. She also won the boat of the year award in 1981, but she was actually built in 1980 if I remember rightly? Happy boating & I hope u enjoy her as much as I did when I was on her :-) Lee.

Edited by lee34

• 10 months later...

Bogged off?

Apparently back in the UK.

Yes that sounded too derogatory and it wasn't meant to.

I meant saw the light and gone to France, I wonder why they are back.

Useless facts department;

We shared the Calcutt locks with Doug and Mrs Moore on Sunday - what a lovely couple.

Ah that's interesting.

I hope we cross paths with them at some point if they're back boating in the UK :)

Hi all,

I have a boat built by Doug Moore. It has been discussed on the forum before when someone asked for seasoned opinions on it as a liveaboard.

It's name is Mock Turtle but after some research I think it was previously named Judy.

After seeing it (in July) I thought it would make an ideal boat to convert into something that looked like a small version of a working boat, with boatmans cabin and sheeted up. Then after reading posts saw the Brum Tug link which is exactly what I had in mind.

It has lovely lines and while cruising back from Harefield to Worcestershire was well chuffed by the amount of comments I received along the way from fellow boaters telling me what a cracking little boat she is and causing heads to turn when passing a hire base. Then when locking up Hatton sharing with a Rose hire boat with a female student at the helm she asked her mate how far away from the top gate she was as it was hard to judge as I'd only got a small one, I've heard that on more than one occasion before I bought the boat so no offence taken.

Took us 12 days to do the trip from beginning of September, lovely weather all the way, loved the GU, not been that far south before, and looking forward to holidays with the wife when I finish the layout to incorporate all mod cons like a shower and a double bed.

If anybody has any more info on the boat other than what's already been written on the forum I would be glad to hear a little more about her history.

Absolutely over the moon and happy is an understatement.

Andy.

Nice looking boat. Probably held one of the records for length of time on brokerage due to the bananas asking price for a long while.

As I understand, she was one of 2 boats Doug hired out from Lower Park as Day Boats the other not surprisingly being called Punch.

Seem to recall a build date of 1989 or thereabouts so one of the later craft. If you call Wayne at LPM he may still have some of the original paperwork.

• 2 years later...

Hi Richard, think I may have a dm boat! My boat is 23 foot called stumpy. Just been to Riley green and barlick boatyards and would love to hear anything you know about stumpy! Many thanks, sam

• 4 weeks later...

We have a Doug Moore boat named Muddy Paws it is a 1979 model. 63ft cruiser we bought it in 2013 and have had many lovely holidays on the boat unfortunately we have decided to sell the boat as work and time constraints have meant she has been stood for a year. Very sad to be seeing her go. Great memories

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 years later...
On 14/07/2009 at 17:33, N Taylor said:

Just a coment on Doug Moore Boats. We used to moor at Lower park when he was building boats and renting out a boat called Rosie. I saw him sail off in to the distance after cleaning his boat. I saw him a few years later at Worsley. There are a few boats round barnoldswick that are D.M. boats. Kashmir that moves up and down. Dove that is now back at Lower park and Lawrence at top fo greenberfield locks. Lawrence used to be called Marsden mist then Marsden. It has been painted a few times but I think it still needs fitting out. The D.M. boats all have his D.M. mark on the back of the boat where the rope fastens. :lol:

I’m the owner of Rosie. I’m happy to say she’s in fantastic condition 

On 14/07/2009 at 23:38, Liam said:

Rosie is currently based at Lymm on the Bridgewater Canal... actually moored fairly close to two other Doug Moore boats...

I know the owner and he is very pleased with the boat too. It's just been out on the slipway at Lymm and one thing I did notice is the longer than normal rear swim. A very nice boat indeed.

John has a website about Rosie and his Camper Van which can be found here: Planet Melling

I bought Rosie from John in 2017. She’s in fantastic condition and a real pleasure to cruise 

On 08/08/2010 at 16:46, soldthehouse said:

Us aboard Rosie in 1993 The Doug Moore hire boat built as a demonstrator I believe, and we thought all narrowboats would be like this.!

Picture161.jpg

It’s funny to see my Rosie in this forum