can anyone explain what this means?

heather2002

Featured Posts

Hi Again,

Can anyone explain this to me?

I've been reading on forums and blogs and a few things have popped up that I don't understand.

The first one is:

'On the positive side the locks worked well and the paddle gear was

mostly well serviced... but don't try to moor anywhere where there is

no sheet-piling... and even then be careful.'

My question is: What are the possible consequences of mooring where there is no sheet piling?

Second question is: 'When we came back to the boat we found the pound had been lowered and we were hung up on the ledge.'

What is a pound other than 100p : :)

Thanks

Heather

Hi Again,

I've been reading on forums and blogs and a few things have popped up that I don't understand.

The first one is:

My question is: What are the possible consequences of mooring where there is no sheet piling?

Second question is: 'When we came back to the boat we found the pound had been lowered and we were hung up on the ledge.'

Thanks

Heather

I imagine that the canal in question (the whole post would have helped) has dodgy banks for some reason. For example: a lot of the oxford has sloping stone banks that can (according to the more paranoid) wear your chine angle (the join between boat bottoms and sides) away and the deeper draughted boats can't get close to the bank. Some people don't like mooring up unless there's a tarmaced tow-path that is wiped with dettol twice a day.

A pound is the water between two locks. A short pound in a lock flight and a looong pound if you're on the Ashby.

A pound is the water between two locks. A short pound in a lock flight and a looong pound if you're on the Ashby.

And then you've got a live pound, which is one with a river weir entering or leaving (or is it both?), which gives the pound a current.

Edited by blackrose

"On the positive side the locks worked well and the paddle gear was

no sheet-piling... and even then be careful."

But yeah, basicaly its saying the canals in a fiarly good state (lock paddles work, etc) but that the sides of the canal arnt always the best to moor against, hence aiming for places with piled edges.

- And on of the pounds changed leval a bit, causing the boat to end up slighty aground on a bit of a edge/ledge thing....

Tbh, its all just part of the game.

- We're fairly used to a 2foot moat if we moor on a random bit of bank, and levals do change, but you get over it!

Happy boating!

Daniel

Hi Again,

The first one is:

Thanks

A sheet pile is what dogs often leave on the tow path. Moor up close to one of those and you are asking to get a mess in your cabin!!!!

Heather

but don't try to moor anywhere where there is no sheet-piling... and even then be careful.'

I would like to know where did people moor before sheet pilling was invented.

I would like to know where did people moor before sheet pilling was invented.

Several feet from the bank and with a gang plank. Oh BTW that was in the days when nearly all boats slowed right down when passing. Ah, "jumpers for goal posts, small boys in the park" :)

Edited by rallyfan

and how often did these horses exceed 2mph? On the downhill stretches maybe?

I read an article some years ago on "Fly Boats" The boats were built with a long swim so as to reduce wash and the horses used to trot, sometimes as fast as 10mph. The horses were "staged" like the old "stage coaches"

Cant remember where I read the article

:cheers:I read an article some years ago on "Fly Boats" The boats were built with a long swim so as to reduce wash and the horses used to trot, sometimes as fast as 10mph. The horses were "staged" like the old "stage coaches"

the horse may have troted at 10 mph but i dont think the boatman did

Hi Again,

The first one is:

What is a pound other than 100p : :rolleyes:

Thanks

Heather

I think it's so the pile of sheet doesn't fall on you or worse you step in it .... :rolleyes:

Wow.... A down hill canal! Where's my skis :rolleyes:

You get to the top of the Foxton flight, you systematically drain all the locks and side pounds, (there is a middle pound and lots of side pounds) Then stand by in your boat ... No, sorry have your spouse stand by in the boat, while you dynamite the top lock gate. Presto a downhill canal and perhaps some sort of speed record!!!!

(I hope that there are not any 'white water rafters' reading this, they might get ideas!)

I read an article some years ago on "Fly Boats" The boats were built with a long swim so as to reduce wash and the horses used to trot, sometimes as fast as 10mph. The horses were "staged" like the old "stage coaches"

The swim of a flyboat, if it can be called that in a butty, isn't much different to any other butty but the flyboats have a much bigger chine angle making them appear more cylindrical and, in theory, more streamlined. If it's the same article I'm thinking of, it also claimed that the flyboats could get up on the plane. I found that amusing but the exchange of correspondence in the subsequent months discussing the possibility of this was utterly hilarious.

Flyboats went faster because they had better horses, they carried less cargo and other boats had to get out of the way.

Edited to say: chine angle: the angle where the bottoms join the sides.

Edited by carlt

The "Swim" of a boat is that portion underwater "Aft" where the Hull tapers in to the propeller. ... :rolleyes:

Edit: I was accidentally shouting

Edited by bottle