Braunston Historic Boats

Theo

Featured Posts

I know that it is too late to advise anyone but the closest to Braunston to go but do if you can!

I went yesterday with SWMBO, little sister and little sister's HWTTHMBO. What a brilliant day! Over 70 boats of lots of different types. Folk bands, jazz bands, folk dancing and a very knowledgable (I thought) commentary on the boats as they came through. There were some good demonstrations of how to handle 79 footers and their butties, too.

The field where we parked was very muddy but there was a tractor on hand to help.

We bought some new mooring lines and bits and pieces and had a thoroughly good day.

Nick

I was at Braunston yesterday and really enjoyed the day - they had 72 boats in the rally, which was a record - it's clearly growing in popularity and there's some interest from the trade with stalls etc. Neil - I took lots of photographs so please let me know if there were any particular boats that you were interested in seeing.

Ben

My particular interest is the boats of the former GUCCCo.

I'd been to most of the Braunston events since the mid nineties till a couple of years ago. I packed in going because they were getting too repetitive. Same old boats, same old owners and the numbers attending were dropping off. I didn't bother going to the 'themed' FMC event and seem to have got out of the habit since.

Anyone got a list of the boats there?

Well, I didn't do a list and with terrible weather and so many boats (moored 6 deep on the mainline) it was more than normally chaotic. From memory I have come up with 60 that were there. Not bad given the number of brain cells I have lost over the years. So there are 12 or so others - which ones did I miss?

Adamant

Arcangel

Atlantic

Barrow

Bream (stern end)

Brighton

Buckden

Callisto

Camel

Clematis

Columbia (stern end)

Corona

Cyprus

Darley Denebola

Dodona (bow end)

Dover

Empress

Enterprise

Gambia

George

Gifford

Gorse

Gosport

Grange (bow end)

Grimsby

Hadley

Hyperion

James Loader

Jubilee

Kangaroo

Kildare

Laplander

Leo

Madeley (bow end)

Manchuria (bow end)

Marquis

Mary

Minnow

Monarch

Nuneaton

Nutfield

Olive

Pelican

President

Raymond

Renfrew

Saltaire

Scorpio

Sculptor

Skylark

Stamford

Star

Stour

Sweden

Tarporley

Thea (bow end)

Tug No 2

Vesta

Vulcan

Warbler

And yes I did have my anorak with me - it was p***ing it down!

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

Rudd

Lupin

er...

edited to add Lamprey and Plover

and do I recall seeing Dory?

edited again: Cassiopaeia

Scorpio and Malus

but I didn't see Anne ... and I heard there were 74 boats there

was there another C&C? Starling?

Edited by WarriorWoman

Rudd

Lupin

er...

edited to add Lamprey and Plover

and do I recall seeing Dory?

edited again: Cassiopaeia

Well we're nearly getting there....

Don't think Anne was there. Yes it was Saltaire's bow. Bit confused about the BW herritage boats now. Thought I saw Scorpio and Leo but it may have been Scorpio and Malus - or maybe both pairs were there.

Anyone know anything about a bad collision on Sunday afternoon at the ladder bridge?

Paul

Well, I didn't do a list and with terrible weather and so many boats (moored 6 deep on the mainline) it was more than normally chaotic. From memory I have come up with 60 that were there. Not bad given the number of brain cells I have lost over the years. So there are 12 or so others - which ones did I miss?

Paul H

Panther, Black hull, red topsides 1929 Josher.

Tony

Just looking at photos, was Swallow, not Starling; definitely Malus (didn't see Leo)

Well I make that 68 so that's either 4 or 6 missing (or possibly 11) depending on who you ask and whether boats moored nearby (like carl's) are included.

Adamant

Arcangel

Atlantic

Barrow

Bream (stern end)

Brighton

Buckden

Callisto

Camel

Casseopeia

Clematis

Columbia (stern end)

Corona

Cyprus

Darley

Denebola

Dodona (bow end)

Dover

Empress

Enterprise

Gambia

George

Gifford

Gorse

Gosport

Grange (bow end)

Grimsby

Hadley

Hyperion

James Loader

Jubilee

Kangaroo

Kildare

Lamprey

Laplander

Lupin

Madeley (bow end)

Malus

Manchuria (bow end)

Marquis

Mary

Minnow

Monarch

Nuneaton

Nutfield

Olive

Panther

Pelican

Plover

President

Raymond

Renfrew

Rudd

Saltaire (bow end)

Scorpio

Sculptor

Skylark

Stamford

Star

Stour

Swallow

Sweden

Tarporley

Thea (bow end)

Tug No 2

Vesta

Vulcan

Warbler

Paul H

We were there on Saturday all day, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. For me the highlight was watching (Rocket) Ron Withey show everyone how to manouvre a pair of boats backwards into a narrow arm without loosing his line, or touching any of the other boats moored on both sides. He is probably the best working boat steersman in the country.

Just seen this thread having got back from visting freinds,

- But yeah, its a fantanstaic event, we where there last year with emilyanne painting, and then spent much of sunday aboard adamant.

Sounds like a real turn out this year, shame i missed it but there we go!

Daniel

I too agree that was a magnificent exhibition of boat handlig. I just stood watching trying to learn a thing or two. There was a collission under ladder bridge on Saturday PM. A couple private boats made a very unhealthy noise when they met in the bridgehole.