Electric or hybrid

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Clockwork will be the way forward without a doubt. No electric shocks, no acrid electrical stinks. No heavy and very expensive fancy batteries.  Instead of charging bollard thing dotted about,  spring winding mechanism points will be dotted about. Instead of an electrical charging port on the side of you clockwork car there will be a largish keyhole, just like the Triang Minic toys of yesteryear.  This keyhole on you car will be positioned bang in alignment with the winding shaft key on the bollard which shoots out and into your cars keyhole, like its making love with it, and connects with your clockwork winding spindle. The winding process will cease slightly prematurely in case your spring gets strained and snaps.  In the unlikely event of your spring running down on the open road special laybys will be provided at regular intervals, some with powered winding bollards, some without.  All Clockwork motor cars will be provided by their manufacturer with a large key in their tool kits, along with a tin of graphite spring grease and oil can. This big key is the emergency winder upperer, to be used by the driver manually to get you to your destination, ''The clockwork version of Limp home mode''.  The roof of the cars will be rather tall and rounded, this is to house the propulsion spring in its limp unwound state.          Any questions ?

Question. 

Will all cars be painted Orange? 

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

My DeLorean, which I'm expecting to be delivered anyday now, can go to Betelgeuse and back on only one charge, so the nice man who sold it to me said.

You'll be fluxed if it runs out of cabbage half way there! 

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think this is probably still 'novelty value' at work here.

I'd be interested to find out what proportion of Tesla owners have one as their only car. I bet most have another for those trips when the Tesla is unsuitable due to range limitations. For a long weekend at a nice guest house in the lake district say, I doubt any charging facilities will be availabe for days on end. So they will go in their Range Rover instead. 

I also wonder how many people who have to rely on street parking have purchased a Tesla.

Are there any cheap and cheerful mass market 100% electric cars on the market yet? Say around the £10k mark?

Edit to change 'Telal' back into 'Tesla'!

Pep[le do have them as only cars 334 miles per charge on board computer that tells you where the next fast free charger is so what is the problem? the problem is that because you dont like them Tony/Mike that people cant have them and they wont work. Luckily there are people out there that arnt dinosaurs and are buying them, so you wont have to worry they will be along secondhand soon.:)

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

the problem is that because you dont like them Tony/Mike

Don't like them?  They don't work! That's what I don't like. The ones that do work cost the same as a small house. 

I love the concept, but then I also like the concept of Virgin Galactic and that doesn't work either. 

When they have sorted out the range, the affordability, the 50% extra generating capacity and the availability then I'd love one.

Until then, and it won't be happening any time soon, they're nothing but an expensive toy. 

There is also the option of friction ''push and go'' powered cars using a very heavy flywheel. Aircraft carrier style elastic band or steam powered catapult launchers could be installed instead of battery charging points which will give enough shove to reach the next elastic launcher before the flywheel loses its inertia.  Again, like clockwork propulsion no electricity whatsoever is needed, with all its complications and expense.  Oil or gas lamps, rubber bulb hooter, clockwork wipers, wind up radio and wind up clockwork gramophone for music. Special roadways would have to be built as any stoppages would be a problem if there's no launcher handy.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd be interested to find out what proportion of Tesla owners have one as their only car.

Slightly along this theme, we have an "Eco Town" bolted on to our town, one of the restrictions in place when you buy a house there is that you are only allowed one car per household.  You may have a second car providing that it is eclectrick.

On 29/07/2017 at 19:45, bizzard said:

Clockwork will be the way forward without a doubt. No electric shocks, no acrid electrical stinks. No heavy and very expensive fancy batteries.  Instead of charging bollard thing dotted about,  spring winding mechanism points will be dotted about. Instead of an electrical charging port on the side of you clockwork car there will be a largish keyhole, just like the Triang Minic toys of yesteryear.  This keyhole on you car will be positioned bang in alignment with the winding shaft key on the bollard which shoots out and into your cars keyhole, like its making love with it, and connects with your clockwork winding spindle. The winding process will cease slightly prematurely in case your spring gets strained and snaps.  In the unlikely event of your spring running down on the open road special laybys will be provided at regular intervals, some with powered winding bollards, some without.  All Clockwork motor cars will be provided by their manufacturer with a large key in their tool kits, along with a tin of graphite spring grease and oil can. This big key is the emergency winder upperer, to be used by the driver manually to get you to your destination, ''The clockwork version of Limp home mode''.  The roof of the cars will be rather tall and rounded, this is to house the propulsion spring in its limp unwound state.          Any questions ?

Yes. Can I have some of what you're on tonight please?

On 29/07/2017 at 20:47, bizzard said:

Aldi's Fletchers rich ruby port and 3 in 1 oil.

Ohh... so you've eaten all the magic mushroom soup and croutons already, and moved on to port and cigars!!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

55 minutes ago, bizzard said:

There is also the option of friction ''push and go'' powered cars using a very heavy flywheel. Aircraft carrier style elastic band or steam powered catapult launchers could be installed instead of battery charging points which will give enough shove to reach the next elastic launcher before the flywheel loses its inertia.  Again, like clockwork propulsion no electricity whatsoever is needed, with all its complications and expense.  Oil or gas lamps, rubber bulb hooter, clockwork wipers, wind up radio and wind up clockwork gramophone for music. Special roadways would have to be built as any stoppages would be a problem if there's no launcher handy.

There's an upper limit on the size of flywheels after which they explode and fly apart, do you have any idea what that size is? How heavy would it be? And how much energy you could store in one? How many could I get in a 60ft NB?

26 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

There's an upper limit on the size of flywheels after which they explode and fly apart, do you have any idea what that size is? How heavy would it be? And how much energy you could store in one? How many could I get in a 60ft NB?

With a few giant flywheels mounted vertically you would never manage to turn a corner, but put then horizontally in a long line and no more boat rocking from side to side.

My original thoughts on big flywheels was to use them to supply the whole world with electricity when fossil fuels run out and to eliminate the use of Nuclear power ''Strontium 90 is not good for you!!''.  The plan is to construct in every country two massive flywheel driven alternators. By massive, I mean something like a half or a mile in diameter. Two for each country because whilst one is working and supplying power the other is being wound up to top speed by hundreds of blokes winding lots of geared handles, to have it ready and up to top speed for when the other has slowed down and the lights are fading, and the process repeated swappin about forever and ever.  The flywheels heavy metal would be a special unexplodable type. The biggest problem  would be making the size of axles needed, something like 53 feet in diameter, not to mention the manufacture of bearings to fit that size.  There could also be a great danger of one of these massive flywheels leaping from off its mounting when at top speed. The dreadful and diabolical carnage that it would cause as it carved a dreadful swathe of destruction all around the planet, across land and sea flattening to pulp everthing in its path and then ending up where it started, like a boomerang. It might rampage around the earth frightening everyone several time before losing momentum, slowing up and eventually keeling over, exhausted,  who knows,an example has not been constructed yet. But this idea could be the electrical power generator of the future. Much more interesting and full of much much more excitment and awe and collosity than boring titchy wind farms and solar panels.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

My original thoughts on big flywheels was to use them to supply the whole world with electricity when fossil fuels run out and to eliminate the use of Nuclear power ''Strontium 90 is not good for you!!''.  The plan is to construct in every country two massive flywheel driven alternators. By massive, I mean something like a half or a mile in diameter. Two for each country because whilst one is working and supplying power the other is being wound up to top speed by hundreds of blokes winding lots of geared handles, to have it ready and up to top speed for when the other has slowed down and the lights are fading, and the process repeated swappin about forever and ever.  The flywheels heavy metal would be a special unexplodable type. The biggest problem  would be making the size of axles needed, something like 53 feet in diameter, not to mention the manufacture of bearings to fit that size.  There could also be a great danger of one of these massive flywheels leaping from off its mounting when at top speed. The dreadful and diabolical carnage that it would cause as it carved a dreadful swathe of destruction all around the planet, across land and sea flattening to pulp everthing in its path and then ending up where it started, like a boomerang. It might rampage around the earth frightening everyone several time before losing momentum, slowing up and eventually keeling over, exhausted,  who knows,an example has not been constructed yet. But this idea could be the electrical power generator of the future. Much more interesting and full of much much more excitment and awe and collosity than boring titchy wind farms and solar panels.

Me being a rather technical person and never satisfied until I have all  my technical data exactly right, hence I've bin burning the midnight oyl working out some figures precise like. The flywheels would need to weigh 371,029 tons, 5cwt, 2lb's, 3 and a bit oz, I'm afraid that's as close as I can get that bit which will enable the flywheel to rotate at 128,002 rpm and slowing slowly  generating electricity for a period of 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, 1 minute and 9.1/2 seconds. Which will give ample time for the chaps to wind up the secondary flywheel up to its top speed ready to come on line, taking over the generating from the previous one while that's being rewound by the chaps ready to take over from the other one that was just wound up and so on.  This system of generating electricity will keep the worlds lights alight forever and ever,   Amen.         Yours precisely, Professor Bizzard EPCA, OHM, BA, BO. Absolute and shocking master over all and authority of worldwide electrical stuff, leading world chief faculty of power generation, lecturer and advisor.

PS  I'm trying to wire up a new mains plug on my George Foreman sandwich toaster and have forgotten how the wires go. Any ideas ? please.

Edited by bizzard

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Two for each country because whilst one is working and supplying power the other is being wound up to top speed by hundreds of blokes winding lots of geared handles, to have it ready and up to top speed for when the other has slowed down and the lights are fading, and the process repeated swappin about forever and ever.

Ohh, how sexist. What about us girls? We like a good wind-up too ya know! 

13 hours ago, bizzard said:

No, but some folk who like that show, for nostalgic reasons might.   Triang green and red are nice.

Meccano, not Triang??

All that is required is to rebuild motorways so they are a constant succession of hills and valleys - race down the hill at maximum speed (all speed limits repealed) and coast up the next hill.  All that is required is to haul vehicles entering the motorway to the top of the first hill.  Did somebody mention roller coasters - yes that's the right idea.

Now would somebody please make it happen.

(Unfortunately trailers and caravans would not be permitted because they would all fall over on the downhill bits.)

On 29/07/2017 at 22:05, bizzard said:

I'd like to nominate this as worm of the day. 

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

I'm trying to wire up a new mains plug on my George Foreman sandwich toaster and have forgotten how the wires go. Any ideas ? please

Brown is live, so called because if you touch it you’ll sh1t yourself.

Edited by Robbo
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But there are/have been flywheel powered buses on the continent and I believe a tram/light train in the UK. They get wound up to speed by an electric motor while at the stop/station so not so silly as Biz makes it sound.

Biz silly? Shirley not. 

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But there are/have been flywheel powered buses on the continent and I believe a tram/light train in the UK. They get wound up to speed by an electric motor while at the stop/station so not so silly as Biz makes it sound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_139