Pump Out for Black Water -

Featured Posts

Hi, I am new to this but ...

Is there anyone who can give me advice about fitting a pump (Johnson Viking 32 Pump) to pump out black water from my boat, ie how do they work, recommendations on good pumps, are they worth fitting or have a self pump out kit and any other info/advice please? 

Where do you intend to 'pump-out' to ?

Are you prepared to have (up to) 100s of metres of 'dirty' pipe rolled up in you boat ?

Self-pump-out is' not highly thought of' by many / most / all other boaters as you can easily overload a standard toilet resulting in (as Blaster Bates would say) 'A shower of Sh!t over Cheshire'

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Where do you intend to 'pump-out' to ?

Are you prepared to have (up to) 100s of metres of 'dirty' pipe rolled up in you boat ?

Self-pump-out is' not highly thought of' by many / most / all other boaters as you can easily overload a standard toilet resulting in (as Blaster Bates would say) 'A shower of Sh!t over Cheshire'

.....eeeeee.....it's the 60's since I heard that last. Priceless then.......and now!

I bought a kit from 'that-nice-Mr.-Coburn's-firm many years ago. It consisted of an electric diaphragm pump, a short length of flexible tube and a long length of layflat tubing.

• The pump worked fine (used lots of time for similar jobs at home)
  • The layflat was a disaster -
  •        the pump pulses,
  •        the pipe vibrates
  •        The tube comes out of the discharge point (whatever type it is)
  •         Repeating the task with canal / river water INPUT prolongs the pain
  •        Was difficult to ensure that the whole assembly was flushed through satisfactorily
  • You need a person prepared to deal with smelly contents at both ends

We used it twice.....

Until shore establishments provide proper facilities such as rinse out and fixed input couplings then it's only for the brave....

There are many opinions on the plusses and minuses of various boat toilets, but very best thing about a pump out loo is undoubtedly that you don't have to get seriously involved with your own effluent. If you'd prefer to have a work around to that major plus, you're either made of very stern stuff or you're so very naughty that you're prepared to secretly 'fertilise' the countryside to save yourself 15 quid!  As an alternative, you might consider crowd funding your pump outs. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a hand operated self pump out kit that over the years as paid for itself many times over & is a great bit of kit....I'd think very hard before using a electric pump....you'd definitely need a form of remote control so you could keep an eye on the discharge pipe plus if the pump was installed on the boat it would make rinsing the discharge hose tricky. 

When we bought our boat, it had a pump with a long hose and a hand pump with a short hose. The vendor told us they pumped out at night into the river and told us 'Everyone does it' Well, not this everyone, thank you! I know the fish in the rivers and cut are not for eating, but they do deserve to continue living there instead of being poisoned by formaldehyde.

We used the onboard pump and long hose once and decided never again as it was such a crappy (excuse the pun) thing to clean afterwards.

We had the pump removed when we'd had two commercial pumpouts that were foiled by toilet paper getting caught in the onboard pump mechanism.

We gave the hand pump and short hose away to another boater.

Now it's commercial pumpouts every time for us, and we've limited the frequency by having a cassette loo on board too for peeing into. We are now qualified to join the Toulose class of boat.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to stick with commercial pumpouts and if you can fit a cassette toilet in as well, then get one. It will pay for itself easily in the reduced frequency of pumping out.

Cheers, Marilyn