Buying Narrowboats

Russ9294

Featured Posts

On 23/07/2017 at 20:59, Russ9294 said:

I'm living down south & looking to buy a boat I've been told to go around Liverpool or far north as possible to look for a Narrowboat can you recommend a good area as a base. Thank you Russ

What's the point of doing that?

I'd have thought it best to go where the most narrowboats for sale are concentrated. I'd say plant yourself in Braunston and you'll find approx 200 boats for sale within 40 miles.

I suppose the northern markets are rather sparse so prices can be very variable. I have to say if I was looking for a screaming bargain of a boat and wasn't even a little bit fussy about what I was buying, I might expect to find it up north rather than in the midlands or darn sarf. 

On the other hand if I just wanted a good boat quickly and at a fair price, Braunston/midlands is where I'd expect to find it.

Mind you I've just noticed Russ's location. Even Oxford must seem like 'up north' from Brighton!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I might expect to find it up north rather than in the midlands or darn sarf. 

On the other hand if I just wanted a good boat quickly and at a fair price, Braunston/midlands is where I'd expect to find it.

Darn sarf starts south of a line from Liverpool to hull.

Good recommendation, Braunston +\- 20 miles. That's where we got our boat. No point going any further north.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Beware - North of Watford Gap and the 'locals' are still making bangles from the telegraph wires.

I keep hearing about the alleged weird behaviour of people in out of the way places outside the M25, but when I go there they seem quite normal to me.

I think they're bound to by comparison, because London contains every kind of weirdness known to man. Anyway, I'm off to Rugby in the morning to begin two weeks of boating across Birmingham and back, and I'm sure I'll cope.

On 23/07/2017 at 23:43, Peter X said:

Anyway, I'm off to Rugby in the morning to begin two weeks of boating across Birmingham and back, and I'm sure I'll cope.

Blimey take care. I go there quite often these days and I always leave with the feeling I got away with it, fortunately, this time...

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey take care. I go there quite often these days and I always leave with the feeling I got away with it, fortunately, this time...

Ooop North is full of people who secretly love London and the South but whom have had joy beaten out of them when they get their free flat cap, box of pigeons and complimentary whippet. ;)

21 minutes ago, firstboat said:

Depends on your budget, be aware that transportation can either cost a lot of money or a lot of time.

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time