four counties

dockgateman

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, dockgateman said:

Hello People, Am thinking of cruising the 'four counties' next month but am hearing from other boater that there some rough and

'unfriendly local natives' in some areas has anyone had any problems. 

I have done the 4 counties a number of times over the years, and have never had an issue. It is one of my favourite rings but please leave yourself enough time to enjoy it. It is possible to get round in a week but much more enjoyable if you give it at least 8 or 9 days.

Have a great trip.

Howard

It's a great ring, take a fortnight if you can.

Stoke is generally fine these days. Moor at Westport Lake and the worst thing you'll have to deal with is goose poo!!

The section of the Staffs & Worcs near Autherley Junction is the only other spot on the whole ring that I might avoid mooring overnight. 

I would recommend the Navigation pub at Gnossal. 

They used to have a very good open mike night on a Thursday. Not sure if that's still a regular fixture, but I understand they still have live music. Good moorings outside. 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have moored a couple of times on the Shropshire Union by Bridge 2 overnight without problem, very handy for shopping at Morrison's not far from Autherley Junction.

I think that's near the Wolverhampton Bost Club moorings. A pleasant spot to stop, and not far from Autherley through the stop lock. 

Its not far from there to Brewood, which is a lovely stop over. 

Just now, MHS said:

I think that's near the Wolverhampton Bost Club moorings. A pleasant spot to stop, and not far from Autherley through the stop lock. 

Its not far from there to Brewood, which is a lovely stop over. 

The reason we stopped the first time was for shopping at Morrison's

2 hours ago, howardang said:

I have done the 4 counties a number of times over the years, and have never had an issue. It is one of my favourite rings but please leave yourself enough time to enjoy it. It is possible to get round in a week but much more enjoyable if you give it at least 8 or 9 days.

Have a great trip.

Howard

Exactly. The Four Counties is fabulous and I've never encountered problems either.

We did the Four Counties last year and loved it. We took two weeks and included a trip up and down the Calden Canal as well, which was very pretty and relatively quiet. I would plan not to stop at Stoke overnight on your journey but other than that we had no issues with quiet moorings throughout our trip. 

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have moored a couple of times on the Shropshire Union by Bridge 2 overnight without problem, very handy for shopping at Morrison's not far from Autherley Junction.

When we ran the IWA National at Autherley, we had grief with scrotes chucking stuff from Bridge 2, so these days we always go on to the VMs between Bridges 7 and 8, beautiful, quiet country mooring.

Be prepared for poor mobile reception at many places on the Shroppie.

45 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

When we ran the IWA National at Autherley, we had grief with scrotes chucking stuff from Bridge 2, so these days we always go on to the VMs between Bridges 7 and 8, beautiful, quiet country mooring.

Be prepared for poor mobile reception at many places on the Shroppie.

The scrotes from 2008 may have grown up now.  The last couple of times I have boated through Autherley this year (latest being last Friday) there have been moored boats all along the Staffs and Worcs section both sides of the junction.

8 hours ago, EmeraldIsleLockLady said:

We did the Four Counties last year and loved it. We took two weeks and included a trip up and down the Calden Canal as well, which was very pretty and relatively quiet. I would plan not to stop at Stoke overnight on your journey but other than that we had no issues with quiet moorings throughout our trip. 

This is what I would also recommend over a fortnight.

When on the Calton,  moor overnight at Etruria near the start and don't moor again until the pub at Milton. Thereafter is is all wonderfully rural.

Make the time to explore both branches.

Done the four counties once a few years ago and did not encounter any problems. Since then, have done half of it (& back) from Hurleston (via Autherley) several times (in fact, doing it now, just at Penkridge). 

Enjoy

Edited by boots

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The scrotes from 2008 may have grown up now.  The last couple of times I have boated through Autherley this year (latest being last Friday) there have been moored boats all along the Staffs and Worcs section both sides of the junction.

He's referring to the first bit of the Shropshire Union, between the boatyard and bridge 2 near the sewage works. The advice is not to moor along there because of the estate on the left hand (south) side. It's asking for problems stopping along there, especially because there are perfectly fine moorings within about a mile.

Edited by Philip

If someone is going around saying the Four Counties Ring is dangerous, then there really is no hope.

I do the 4CR continously, monthly, and have never had any problems anywhere. There is only 2 stretches of it that i wouldn't want to moor and thats Etruria - Trentham lock, and Wolverhampton Boat Club - Coven. Even then you could probably stay there 999 times out of 1000 and never have an issue.

We have just finished the Four Counties Ring, 14 days, would loved to have spent longer.

Just loved it, loads to see, Wedgwood Museum, Shugborough Hall, great market towns every other day.

Heart Break Hill is just a day to feel like a hero and perfect excuse/ justification/ reward for supping pints of rehydrating liquids!

Stoke is a history lesson, history not always inspirational, Westport  Lake moorings on the out skirts of Stoke is great overnight moorings.  Harecastle Tunnel box needs ticking IMO.

Most of the folks we met were great,  helpful when we/they though we needed it !

The whole Shroppie experience, views amazing, not overly busy, has water, no trouble with locks, whats not to like!

Just go for it, and enjoy, make time your friend.

12 hours ago, Philip said:

He's referring to the first bit of the Shropshire Union, between the boatyard and bridge 2 near the sewage works. The advice is not to moor along there because of the estate on the left hand (south) side. It's asking for problems stopping along there, especially because there are perfectly fine moorings within about a mile.

Well all I can say is we haven't had problems by Bridge 2, hardly saw anyone.

9 hours ago, StephenA said:

Sandbach well worth a visit if you like your beer and old architecture, same for Nantwich.  Market Drayton handy for Adsa, Morrisons, Lidl, The Joules Brewery.....

Joules Brewery had a very drinkable special on when I was in the Red Lion for a meal on Saturday night.