Started so I'll finish

haza

Featured Posts

From fencing the edge of the cut off to filling it in with some sort of rubber matting ..there is only one word for the humour on canalworld ,,and that's brilliant keep it up folks ,the subject matter always always starts of with the very best of intentions ,,,but then after about 10 replys ,it slowly starts going the way most post go downhill ,and me for one just enjoy the funny replys ,,as long as know one gets hurt to much by it ,when I am feeling a bit glum which is not very often ,,read canalworld posts .if they don't make you chuckle ,,well what can I say ,,,,,let me think what can I say .?????

1 minute ago, haza said:

From fencing the edge of the cut off to filling it in with some sort of rubber matting ..there is only one word for the humour on canalworld ,,and that's brilliant keep it up folks ,the subject matter always always starts of with the very best of intentions ,,,but then after about 10 replys ,it slowly starts going the way most post go downhill ,and me for one just enjoy the funny replys ,,as long as know one gets hurt to much by it ,when I am feeling a bit glum which is not very often ,,read canalworld posts .if they don't make you chuckle ,,well what can I say ,,,,,let me think what can I say .?????

Lubbly jubbly:D pump out or cassette? B)

Well I thought the suggestion to fill the cut with rubber matting was rather silly, as well as impractical. Marshmallows would be a FAR better suggestion as:

1) The are bouncier and therefore safer to fall into, and 

2) They taste much nicer.

32 minutes ago, haza said:

From fencing the edge of the cut off to filling it in with some sort of rubber matting ..there is only one word for the humour on canalworld ,,and that's brilliant

Excuse me we were being deadly serious - but c'mon MTB marshmallows???
The ducks would eat it - silly billy!

On 23/07/2017 at 14:57, Midnight said:

Excuse me we were being deadly serious - but c'mon MTB marshmallows???
The ducks would eat it - silly billy!

Well you may have a point. BUT, they are so delicious the ducks would eat far to many, then they would barf them up again, refilling the canal and everything would once again be fine. 

Edit to add a missing worm.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Good point MTB didn't think of that. I was still reeling at these people who just don't realise how dangerous a marina or canal can be and seem to disregard our sensible H&S suggestions. I mean if someone was to drink 15 pints of Hobgoblin (yer some people do) 2 bottles of Jura, put a bag on their head and hop backwards down one of them pontoons they could easily fall in and be get seriously wet. - Mind you they probably wouldn't care.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I thought the suggestion to fill the cut with rubber matting was rather silly, as well as impractical. Marshmallows would be a FAR better suggestion as:

Jelly would be even better, a prop can just about screw through it and it comes in a variety of colours and flavours.

Mind you with both of our suggestions, the challenge would be to stop people (especially kids) from eating it :P

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So Mike why did you try eating rubber mats? I'm intrigued.

Fred

21 hours ago, DHutch said:

I wanted to fill the hold of a historic boat will ball pool balls, after the stunt with the kitcar on Arial, but then I found out how much they cost, even second hand! #sadface

Daniel

Blimey!  I've just seen!  I wonder how many you'd need to fill a hold...

When I was a young lad growing up in rural Lancashire in the late 50'summer and early 60's, what is now known universally as licorice was called "spanish".

Licorice was a wooden stick like thing, which tasted of well, licorice,  which I know suspect was the root of a real licorice plant.

When  I moved to Surrey in 1962 no one knew what I was talking about when I asked for "spanish", and you couldn't get the root licorice in any sweet shops.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When  I moved to Surrey in 1962 no one knew what I was talking about when I asked for "spanish", and you couldn't get the root licorice in any sweet shops.

Hmmm... around that time I was buying what we called "Spanish Root" in Surrey (Kingston) and a few years later in Sussex. Reddish in colour if memory serves correctly. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Hmmm... around that time I was buying what we called "Spanish Root" in Surrey (Kingston) and a few years later in Sussex. Reddish in colour if memory serves correctly. 

We lived in Stoneleigh, about 5 miles from Kingston. Eventually my Mum found that the local chemist sold "licorice root".

Strange how different parts of the country call the same thing a totally different name.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

When I was a young lad growing up in rural Lancashire in the late 50'summer and early 60's, what is now known universally as licorice was called "spanish".

Licorice was a wooden stick like thing, which tasted of well, licorice,  which I know suspect was the root of a real licorice plant.

In Sheffield, you could (and I did) buy "liquorice root" which was what you and Mr. Hound describe in the early '60s. I don't know if you still can.

Other local words which I remember for comestibles included a "baton" (pronounced "batten") which was like a baguette but a bit shorter and fatter, and "flitch", a type of bacon. Oh, and we didn't have crumpets, we had pikelets.

We called it licorice wood, twigs of the licorice bush I suppose. We just chewed the juice out of it and threw the remnants away, couldn't swallow any of. The shrivelled up Monkey nuts were similar, often included in Jamboree bags, you chewed them, ending up with a mouthfull of mush which was unswallowable so spat it out.

Correction.    Tiger nuts, not monkey nuts.

Edited by bizzard

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh, and we didn't have crumpets, we had pikelets.

I was educated to this when I moved to Brum in the early '70's. And it's not a "roll" it's a "batch". 

The tiniest area I'm aware of to have it's own unique name for something is Keighley. A 'scone' is a piece of fish between two slices of potato, battered and fried. Go a couple of miles up the road to Bingley and they've never heard of it. "Fish and a Scone" is oft heard in Keighley Chippies. 

And there were ''Little Imps'' tiny, very strong licorice pills that came in a tiny red and black packet. Not to mention the bowel mover Xlax which we bought at the chemist, a very strong kind of dark chocolate for sufferers of constipation We loved Xlax, we would have to sit on the toilet to eat it. :mellow:.

Edited by bizzard

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

And there were ''Little Imps'' tiny, very strong licorice pills that came in a tiny red and black packet.

There still are :)  They come in a tiny tin these days - bought some a couple of weeks ago.