Inverters

Grant_thenovice

Featured Posts

Hey guys,

the boat me and my partner have bought has had the inverter removed. Can anyone give any recommendations of inverters we could get? We have (at the moment) 1 starter batteries, and 2 leisure batteries.

any advice would be grand.

ps I'm aware this is probably a FAQ, sorry! 

36 minutes ago, Grant_thenovice said:

Hey guys,

the boat me and my partner have bought has had the inverter removed. Can anyone give any recommendations of inverters we could get? We have (at the moment) 1 starter batteries, and 2 leisure batteries.

any advice would be grand.

ps I'm aware this is probably a FAQ, sorry! 

Hi

How long is a piece of string. It will depend on the size you want/need also size of your cables and charging system also the battery bank is small so limits the inverter somewhat especialy when engine not running. Having said all that better quality inverters are way better than cheap. In my personal ownership experience Mastervolt are the best followed by Victron then there are many many others out there. Sterling is a big name but not a patch on what I have previously mentioned.

To get the best advice here you need to tell us what you intend to run from the inverter.  Will you be on mains power most of the time with just day trips on the canal or will you spend days at a time out cruising?  Do you intend to run any power hungry machines like a washing machine?  Try and list all the consumers - TVs, laptops, phones etc.

Please read some innverter topics http://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/search/&q=inverter&type=forums_topic&search_in=titles&updated_after=year

Power save where the inverter goes too sleep is definitely worth having if you plan on using it to run a 240v fridge.

Ignoring inverter/charger combi units for a moment, you can get a little, low power modified sine wave inverter for £30 all the way up to one that will run any appliance up to 3kW with an output the same quality as the mains supply for well over a grand.

Your question is a bit like asking what vehicle should I buy, and that could be moped to car to truck.......... You need to explain what it is you want it to do.

Added - Have a read of this, it may help you to better understand the pitfalls of power generation and use on boats.  It was written by Victron - who make and sell this kit - but it is very general and not specific to Victron in that other peoples kit will do the same job - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Book-Energy-Unlimited-EN.pdf

Edited by Chewbacka