Cold Water Accumulator Colour?

Brian422

Featured Posts

I've recently read that cold water accumulators should be blue, because blue accumulators are meant for potable cold water and red accumulators for hot water. This appears logical but ...

Apparently inside of blue accumulators are treated to ensure water remains uncontaminated whereas red accumulators are untreated, will rust and may cause premature failure of diaphragm.

As I may have to replace cold water red accumulator, as fitted from new, I'm confused as to which to purchase.

All advice gratefully received.

Central heating ones are different as they expect to have rust inhibitor in the system. Potable types both hot and cold water should have non ferrous materials only in contact with the water, as you say they are generally white, blue or plastic bit this is a convention rather than an absolute, any good plumbers merchant will provide the correct type.

Edited by NMEA

On 22/07/2017 at 11:53, NMEA said:

Central heating ones are different as they expect to have rust inhibitor in the system. Potable types both hot and cold water should have non ferrous materials only in contact with the water, as you say they are generally white, blue or plastic bit this is a convention rather than an absolute, any good plumbers merchant will provide the correct type.

As others have illustrated, this convention is more or less dead in the water now. Too many exceptions to rely on it. 

I have a 'heating only' expansion vessel in my van for installation tomorrow. Its painted silver... 

On 23/07/2017 at 10:49, Sea Dog said:

My new Jabsco one is black plastic - like the 8 year old one it replaced.

I've an idea those don't have a diaphragm inside separating the water from the air charge. Why did it need replacing, out of interest?

It could be that the air pocket had just dissolved away into the water. It might just have needed emptying of water and refitting!

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've an idea those don't have a diaphragm inside separating the water from the air charge. Why did it need replacing, out of interest?

It could be that the air pocket had just dissolved away into the water. It might just have needed emptying of water and refitting!

My system function was fine but I had a bit of a weep around the short link between the pump and accumulator from one or the other, probably the snap in connections. With the units at 8 years old, I replaced everything to get the job right first time. They're inexpensive enough to do that and relegate the originals to spares. I'm pretty sure there's a bag in the accumulator. 

Thanks to all contributors for their thoughts, experiences and suggestion.

Differentiating between what we think, what we're told and facts can be very confusing.

It would be good if there were some colour coded standardisation and a BS Kite mark, but that's asking too much.

8 hours ago, Brian422 said:

Thanks to all contributors for their thoughts, experiences and suggestion.

Differentiating between what we think, what we're told and facts can be very confusing.

It would be good if there were some colour coded standardisation and a BS Kite mark, but that's asking too much.

If you buy an accumulator sold for potable water systems by a reputable manufacturer,  colour be damned. Mine's tucked away in my 'shed' under the fore deck - no-one but me, you and Mr Jabsco know that it's black. ;):D