Controlling flies etc.

stegra

Featured Posts

There seems to be a sudden surge in the number of insects buzzing around my boat. Admittedly, being on a hard standing literally 10 feet from a recycling plant is likely a major contributing factor, but I'm wondering what folks are using to control insects. My neighbours on the boatyard have just bought a zapper thing with a blue light that's supposed to attract them they but they only seem to be interested in their TV. I don't have a TV so my wine glass appears to be the main focus of their attention. I'd prefer to take a 'live and let live' approach but I'm getting a little tired of spitting out a fly or two every time I take a sip.

15 minutes ago, stegra said:

There seems to be a sudden surge in the number of insects buzzing around my boat. Admittedly, being on a hard standing literally 10 feet from a recycling plant is likely a major contributing factor, but I'm wondering what folks are using to control insects. My neighbours on the boatyard have just bought a zapper thing with a blue light that's supposed to attract them they but they only seem to be interested in their TV. I don't have a TV so my wine glass appears to be the main focus of their attention. I'd prefer to take a 'live and let live' approach but I'm getting a little tired of spitting out a fly or two every time I take a sip.

If not a veggie, just remember to chew, oh and swap to spirits as the alcohol will probably kill the germs on their little feet.

Edited by Chewbacka

4 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If not a veggie, just remember to chew.

Ha. Been vegetarian for over 20 years, hence my instinctive reluctance to kill them. But if they're going to drown themselves in my wine anyway and imperil my vegetarian status, I'm happy to consider alternative methods of dispatch.

1 minute ago, stegra said:

Ha. Been vegetarian for over 20 years, hence my instinctive reluctance to kill them. But if they're going to drown themselves in my wine anyway and imperil my vegetarian status, I'm happy to consider alternative methods of dispatch.

To protect your veggie status you could drink your wine through an old fashioned tea strainer, and then chuck their little bodies into the cut for the ducks to eat.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

To protect your veggie status you could drink your wine through an old fashioned tea strainer, and then chuck their little bodies into the cut for the ducks to eat.

The river's about 20 metres away and it's peeing down. I'll just chuck them off the side for the rats. Ah. Now that's another question.

I have three carnivorous plants in my window-a Venus fly trap, a sundew and a pitcher. I am not sure if we are really into the thick of the annoying midge part of the year yet, but they do seem to be keeping up fairly well so far, the sundew in particular-it's like a big living flypaper but less gross.

We've noticed a lot more flies in the past few days, presumably a result of the damp weather.

We use home made fly screens over the hatches, mosquito net cut and hemmed and held in place with those expanding poles intended for net curtains. For dealing with the ones that make it inside, haven't found anything better than a basic £1.50 fly swat from Wilko or Home Bargains.

14 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

I have three carnivorous plants in my window-a Venus fly trap, a sundew and a pitcher. I am not sure if we are really into the thick of the annoying midge part of the year yet, but they do seem to be keeping up fairly well so far, the sundew in particular-it's like a big living flypaper but less gross.

I was thinking about carnivorous plants this afternoon. Sadly, I don't have a complete floor yet so shelf space is somewhat lacking. The Venus Fly Trap must be interesting to watch. Seeing the little beggars buzzing around and wishing for one to take the bait. Probably a forlorn hope; like lying in city center park surrounded by street lighting, hoping to spot a shooting star. I'd just end up feeding the Venus with flies retrieved from my wine with a cocktail stick.

2 minutes ago, stegra said:

I'd just end up feeding the Venus with flies retrieved from my wine with a cocktail stick.

At least they could say 'cheers' ;)

1 hour ago, stegra said:

How about burning a Citronella candle close to your wine glass...you won't be killing them, but at least they should avoid death by drowning in what to them must be a vat of wine ;)

Edited by Bettie Boo

Just now, stegra said:

I was more concerned about the implications of an alcohol dependant Venus Fly Trap. Day of the Triffids springs to mind.

Ah yes ........ just make sure a bottle is always open and to hand! :cheers:

7 minutes ago, Bettie Boo said:

How about burning a Citronella candle close to your wine glass...you won't be killing them, but at least they should avoid death by drowning in what to them must be a vat of wine ;)

It could that I should be drinking from a smaller glass or it could be that you are thinking of much larger flies. But I would say more of a lake than a vat.

Funny innitt I was just thinking how few flies were around this year. Its peeing it down now so that will drown the little blighters........Fab innitt I bloomin love cooler wet weather :D I hated that horrendous heat and sun of late. Still we should get back to proper British weather in a couple of years ..........nice and cool B)

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you tried putting a sign up "NO FLIES"..??

They just temporarily tucked their wings behind their backs and pretended to be WALKS whilst crawling over the threshold, nanchalantly swaying their heads from side to side and whistling, then miraculously regain the power of flight and make headlong for my wine glass.

32 minutes ago, stegra said:

I was thinking about carnivorous plants this afternoon. Sadly, I don't have a complete floor yet so shelf space is somewhat lacking. The Venus Fly Trap must be interesting to watch. Seeing the little beggars buzzing around and wishing for one to take the bait. Probably a forlorn hope; like lying in city center park surrounded by street lighting, hoping to spot a shooting star. I'd just end up feeding the Venus with flies retrieved from my wine with a cocktail stick.

Mine are in pots that have a lip on the back edge of them (designed for balcony rails and the like) that hangs them over the fiddle rail holding the bottom of the curtains in. (Do I mean a fiddle rail!? Can't remember what it is called) I can post a pic if you'd like. They get lots of sun, are well placed right next to where flies and other flying things like to congregate, and I don't lose any counter space.

I have never actually seen the Venus fly trap catching and closing, I only see the before and after. The traps tend to blacken and die off too if they eat a fly bigger than about a third of the trap size, or eat too many, making it look a bit raggedy, although new trap growth prompted by the nutrients from the ingested flies replace the dying ones. The sundew and pitcher are both more impressive to look at and seem to have a greater capacity for catching stuff.

Edited by Starcoaster

If I'm outside drinking beer I usually put a coaster or beermat on top of my glass*

I'm no expert on wine but I suspect this insect deterrent method may work for that as well.

* Note: I do remove it briefly each time I take a swig, otherwise things get messy and wasteful.

3 hours ago, stegra said:

lifes a bitch innit