Closing up mooring gaps

b0atman

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I try to moor as far away from everyone else as I can as even those who happily run their engines non-stop seem to have an odd antipathy to late night trombone practice... 

Trombone? no problem. Round where I am at the moment its bagpipes.

13 hours ago, Neil2 said:

There's another reason why people leave gaps. The number of times we've arrived at a mooring spot and find the boat in front still running its engine, or you get tied up and the engine of the boat you are hard up against fires up.  

If my engine was running you would be unable to hear it even if your front fender was against my rear one. As for exhaust, mine leaves via a pipe through the roof, 14 feet forward of the steering position, so at least 20 feet from the cabin of any boat moored immediately behind me.

This does not stop people leaving pointless gaps, perhaps I should change my deodorant!

Frank.

14 hours ago, b0atman said:

Reading on FB sites the new anger is do not touch my boat .So when you turn up to visitor moorings and no body about with boats that have e.g. 30ft of space between them you cannot shuffle one or two along to fit into the space. No one is allowed to move some ones boat ? There would be no problem if they moored with fore thought an shared rings or closed the gaps between boats .

A great gripe of mine especially as I need the Visitor Moorings because they are usually the deepest, which this boat needs where possible, albeit that there are lumps.

Maybe someone on the CRT Moorings Advisory Group might read this on here.

CRT seem to take notice of matters raised by the Advisory Groups. If they don't I suppose they have to adequately explain why not.

Ok, I should have a word myself.

James

Whilst fully accepting the point about those who will try hard not to share rings, (why?!?), I think people are too quick to assume that most/all the apparent space has been created by inconsiderate mooring.

Take the most simple case where we have out 72 foot boat moored fairly neatly between two others, without much wasted space. 

What is supposed to happen when we move off, and somebody else wants to moor up/  2 foot boats are fairly rare, and the typical "go anywhere" lenth of 55 to 60 feet chosen for many modern boats means that if one takes the spot we have vacated, up to 17 feet of mooring is then unusable. Trying not to use it because another 72 foot boat might results i 72 feet of wasted space if another one doesn't turn up, (and most people have no idea of judging how long a space like that is until they occupy it anyway).

A further thing that doesn't help much of the time is BW / CRTs chosen ring spacings, often just less than 20 feet apart, in many cases locally.   With our 40 foot boat for example, it is very hard to share rings, because the end of the boat overhangs each slightly, (or if you go one ring further apart each rope is stretched around 10 feet outwards to each ring, also wasting space.  In fact regularly with either boat (72 feet or 40 feet) the ring or bollard spacings don't work well, so if there is usable piling we use chains.  However in many local places where there are rings, it is not piled in a way that chains can be used, (concrete edges of some sort).

Don't get me started about people who are unhappy when you do use chains or stakes that the ropes are overlapping, though!

7 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

CRT seem to take notice of matters raised by the Advisory Groups. If they don't I suppose they have to adequately explain why not.

Actually CRT is often not great at acting on the advice of an advisory group, even where that group is fairly unanimous on the advice given. (I sit on one so can say that with total confidence!....)

I assume you are referring to NAG?  I think that considerations about Visitor Moorings actually come under the "Navigation" half of NAG, don't they, so Sue would be a good contact to raise your concerns with, surely?

8 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

A great gripe of mine especially as I need the Visitor Moorings because they are usually the deepest, which this boat needs where possible, albeit that there are lumps.

Ok, I should have a word myself.

James

When I had Sandbach (35ft long) I used to love all those 35ft gaps.

The look on some peoples faces as you neatly slipped into a gap with barely an inch to spare each end.  Cosy! :)

George

I better apologise in advance. If i want to moor my 70ft boat up after a 12hrs day boating and the only place is a stretch of moorings where everybody has left a 'privacy gap', then I'll be knocking on the boat and politely asking people to close up the gaps. If you're not on the boat I'll move it myself, carefully. 

• Greenie 3

The problem is that most of you think you are experts but very few of you actually are. If you move a boat and the T stud breaks off what is to say that you didn't cause it. I do agree that large gaps should not be left and those that do it knowingly are being very selfish but I would very wary of moving someone elses property. In fact I wouldn't do it. I am so so glad that I am off the cut and don't have to worry about all of this stuff any more.

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Because this happens so often, right?

If it did, I would guarantee it would show evidence of hanging on by a thread for some time before!

Far more likely that the mover would scratch the paint, or be accused of that at least.

George

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

When I had Sandbach (35ft long) I used to love all those 35ft gaps.

The look on some peoples faces as you neatly slipped into a gap with barely an inch to spare each end.  Cosy! :)

George

Similarly I have fond memories of our Waterbug, 25' LOA with its V shaped hull we could literally moor anywhere.  It was great fun to tie up is a shallow stretch and watch boat after boat attempt to get into the side.    

10 hours ago, frahkn said:

If my engine was running you would be unable to hear it even if your front fender was against my rear one. As for exhaust, mine leaves via a pipe through the roof, 14 feet forward of the steering position, so at least 20 feet from the cabin of any boat moored immediately behind me.

This does not stop people leaving pointless gaps, perhaps I should change my deodorant!

Frank.

I got told that by the bloke at Stone who  started his engine at 11pm to heat the water for a shower and who, after being politely reminded about the 8-8 rule, got seriously aggressive and left it running till 2am.

It's not just the noise that's annoying,  the vibration travels through the water and up into the boat. But I'm afraid it's nonsense to say you can't hear any engine - the owner is used to it and probably sealed off from it in his boat. The rest of us aren't. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I got told that by the bloke at Stone who  started his engine at 11pm to heat the water for a shower and who, after being politely reminded about the 8-8 rule, got seriously aggressive and left it running till 2am.

It's not just the noise that's annoying,  the vibration travels through the water and up into the boat. But I'm afraid it's nonsense to say you can't hear any engine - the owner is used to it and probably sealed off from it in his boat. The rest of us aren't. 

I can't say about vibration because I have not been in a boat alongside mine so I wont argue about it. I do say, without fear of accurate contradiction, that you will not hear my engine. Not a single Thames lock keeper did, all the way between Oxford and Brentford. One was even able to tell another boat that he must turn off or leave the lock without me reaching for the off button.

28 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I can't say about vibration because I have not been in a boat alongside mine so I wont argue about it. I do say, without fear of accurate contradiction, that you will not hear my engine. Not a single Thames lock keeper did, all the way between Oxford and Brentford. One was even able to tell another boat that he must turn off or leave the lock without me reaching for the off button.

I think yours musty be fairly unique (if one can be fairly unique).  I'm sure you're correct, but certainly the vast majority of boats don't have adequate soundproofing and can be heard a fair distance away, and as I do my best to moor up somewhere I can enjoy peace and quiet (as far as possible avoiding CRT's visitor moorings for that reason) I tend to leave the biggest gap I possibly can between me and another boat.

That being said, if it then gets busy I'll happily move to make room for someone coming in.  And if they then fill my cabin with noise and fumes (and in one never forgotten occurrence, incredibly loud banjo music), I'll just go somewhere else...

26 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think yours musty be fairly unique (if one can be fairly unique).  I'm sure you're correct, but certainly the vast majority of boats don't have adequate soundproofing and can be heard a fair distance away, and as I do my best to moor up somewhere I can enjoy peace and quiet (as far as possible avoiding CRT's visitor moorings for that reason) I tend to leave the biggest gap I possibly can between me and another boat.

That being said, if it then gets busy I'll happily move to make room for someone coming in.  And if they then fill my cabin with noise and fumes (and in one never forgotten occurrence, incredibly loud banjo music), I'll just go somewhere else...

I think you are right, it is probably unique and not always in a good way.

The engine is cocooned and has a hospital silencer (good), in the bathroom (neutral), hard against the side of the boat (bad for access).

If I am having a drink on the front deck I genuinely cannot tell if the engine is on or off (I am getting on but my hearing is still good).

On 21/07/2017 at 09:43, Dave Payne said:

I ask the person to move up, did it on the oxford a few weeks back, if there is nobody there and i need to moor i will move it.

I do wonder if all these people that say dont touch my boat would have the same opinion if their boat had come untied, or should we just leave alone and bump past it.

I have no problem with someone moving my boat as long as they tie it back up safely and do not put it in a place that could be seen as a hazard.

This ^^^^ is exactly what I do. If they refuse to move up I move on, after commenting on how newbies don't understand the old customs of the cut.

Hopefully it makes them think about their attitude and try not to be so obviously a newbie in future :)

On 21/07/2017 at 11:05, dmr said:

I often watch boaters spending ages getting into the exact position to get TV reception

..............Dave

Perhaps they should invest in a DVD player? 

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

This ^^^^ is exactly what I do. If they refuse to move up I move on, after commenting on how newbies don't understand the old customs of the cut.

Hopefully it makes them think about their attitude and try not to be so obviously a newbie in future :)

I had an issue several years ago at Lowsonford. Wife steering out of the lock with me on the towpath - found space 57ft + 2 inches (don't ask how I knew). Wife moored up gently with 1 inch to spare at each end. Grumpy sh*t on the boat in front complained I was too close and wouldn't move back. As we were on holiday wife wouldn't allow me to strangle the b*st*rd so moved on only to find no moorings before the next lock and nettles all along the upper towpath. But there was a hire boat moored in the middle of the last 2 moorings before the lock. He refused my polite request to move so I explained that the correct etiquette in such situations was for me to moor alongside - he moved!

4 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Far more likely that the mover would scratch the paint, or be accused of that at least.

George

How many people returning to their boat after, say, a visit to the pub would even notice that their boat had been moved by a few feet?

1 minute ago, dogless said:

I have no objections to boaters running their engine during appropriate hours.

But I draw the line at the damn radio.

Rog

:D

Don't moor near us while a Test Match is going on then (assuming you're being serious, which I'm unsure about).