Stretching a boat

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If a competent stretch falls apart god help the new aircraft carriers and most other large ships - even submarines I understand are now built in sections and welded together

Like this one? 

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Who is offering to do it for £600 a foot?

I ask because the fixed costs (craneage, factory space, labour etc are pretty much the same whatever extra length you have added. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a standing fee of £10k which you have overlooked, plus £600 a foot for cost of the steel!

Does this £600 a foot include windows, interior fitting, extending the electrics, plumbing and heating, and painting the newly inserted bit of shell externally to match existing?

All other work would be done by myself, the only extra i can see is getting the boat out the water and to them and off the truck, then reversed of course.

Nothing overlooked.

http://www.kedianengineering.co.uk/prices.html

Boat lengthening per FT £695.00

You need to decide how much you want your boat stretched, then the boat will be cut at the preferred point and the new section added, steelwork will be finished in red oxide primer and the hull will be re-blacked.

On 19/07/2017 at 17:52, Chewbacka said:

What is important with thick plates is to weld both faces at the butt join.  Just welding one side is inherently weak, but much easier.

Base plates are usually welded from the top side but the edges are "V'd" out to a feather edge so the first run of weld actually melts the edge achieving the same effect as welding from "tother" side most shell builders have no equipment to enable welding from the underside of a base plate

When I worked for/with Pete Newman at Langley Mill boatyard  we did several stretches He is now retired but "Stage Damager" member on this forum is now running the yard an inquiry to see if this service is still on offer

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

Base plates are usually welded from the top side but the edges are "V'd" out to a feather edge so the first run of weld actually melts the edge achieving the same effect as welding from "tother" side most shell builders have no equipment to enable welding from the underside of a base plate

My shell builder placed the base plate on the floor and slightly Veed the joint and stick welded then flipped it over and did the same on the other side.  The boat yard that blacked my boat also strongly recommends that base plates that are welded top side only should be welded underneath before blacking.  His experience is that single side welding is becoming more common on newer boats and he tells me he has had boats brought in with leaks.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

My shell builder placed the base plate on the floor and slightly Veed the joint and stick welded then flipped it over and did the same on the other side.  The boat yard that blacked my boat also strongly recommends that base plates that are welded top side only should be welded underneath before blacking.  His experience is that single side welding is becoming more common on newer boats and he tells me he has had boats brought in with leaks.

How does your shell builder flip 60 or more ft of say 10mm or thicker base plate? if the plates are 6 x 2 metre or slightly wider plate i would imagine if he manages the first 2 when the 3rd has been added & welded on the "V"'d out side with out ship yard lifting gear it would be one heck of a task. Base plates I welded in the late 70's early 80's by the method described are still floating & the boats still going & I have not heard of any problems with any of the shells i was involved in building I have also been involved  in welding gas & oil pipe lines & the joints not interior welded by a slug were 'v'd out & welded in the same manner as described although the welds on those were/are X rayed which equipment I doubt shell builders have or would want to have access to. plates that are 'v'd to a feather lower edge & the plate given a 2/3mm gap the first pass will melt the feather edge giving the appearance of having being welded from the non 'V'd side The base plates I/we used were 10 x 2metre coded 43A plates, looking at photo's of a number of shell builders workshops/building plots the base plate is maneuvered into place on  flat ground/floor marked out & appears all work performed from the top side on the base plate I could be mistaken but it appears that way. Of the shell builders I've visited granted some years back the equipment required for lifting heavy boat sections were few & far between,the method I'm describing requires the plate to be 'V'd right to the outer edge with no vertical edge left on the plate & enough welding runs to build up to the plate thickness.

We had 8ft added to ours last year. I did the stripping out & refitting, the yard did all the steelwork & reblacked the hull. Cost us £5000 so that is a bit less than £695 per foot. I'm not sure they would have done 4ft for that rate though, the biggest cost is in the labour, not the steel.

Steve