What is "okay" to dump in the cut?

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I thought it was to do with someone of the  Hindu faith passing away? some thing to do with helping the spirit on it's way to where ever they believe the spirits go ? Stand corrected

They offerings to one of Hinduism’s most sacred gods Maa Ganga also known as Mother Ganga.

That is the 1569-mile river Ganges which flows through India and Bangladesh.

Writing for the Canal and River Trust which manages Britain’s canal network, Hindu Scholar and Londoner Swami Rama Chaitanya said: 

“Hinduism respects nature and especially anything that supports human life.

“Hindus worship India’s great rivers, and especially Maa Ganga, because they are the elixir of life; water is where all life begins.

“ When Hindus are cremated the ashes should be scattered in the Ganges, it returns you to earth and represents the circle of life.

“Coconuts are the fruit of the Gods – it is a pure fruit with remarkable qualities, it takes in salt water and produces sweet fruit and it’s neatly packaged too.

“Also it’s a symbol of fertility, it reflects the womb, and has human qualities – it has two eyes, a mouth and hair.”

Hindus also believe bathing in the Ganges can wash away lifetimes of sins, meaning it’s possible to reach nirvana rather than being endlessly reincarnated.

That’s why around 100m Hindus gather to bathe in the Ganges at the Kumbh Mela – the largest coming together of people in the world.

People aren’t scattering ashes in canals.

There have been campaigns to ask people to make only biodegradable offerings so that objects intended for the gods don’t end up wrapped around a boat propeller bringing the boat to a sudden stop.

Coconuts are ideal because they are biodegradable.

They tend to get knocked to one side by boat propellers rather than tangled up.

from here: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coconuts-floating-coventry-canal-13059494.amp

Shallow pounds are a good justification for carrying beer on board. Whenever you go aground, drink a good quantity, pee over the side (bow, and/or stern), reducing the draft of the boat and increasing the level of the pound, whilst distributing carrot peel and the rest of the carrot to boot. (There is no good use for carrot except for feeding to babies.) Apologies if this has already been suggested.

10 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Soon after I started commercial boating I was tied with 2 generations of working boater families, Grandma was washing grand daughters hair & on completing the washing, drying, & brushing,she cleaned out the brush & comb, grand daughter climbed off the boat & was handed the hand bowl & hair from the brush/comb, she emptied the water in the hedge bottom & very carefully tucked the hair into the hedge bottom, when I asked her about it later, she said Grandpa/ma, Dad/mum say " we have to be very careful not to put anything in the cut it might get blocked up" while this may be considered OTT it showed how seriously they considered not to "dump" in the cut I adopted the same policy throughout my carrying days

Right wikid, im going to carefully "dump" under a hedgerow from now on job jobbed!!!!! :giggles:

10 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Right wikid, im going to carefully "dump" under a hedgerow from now on job jobbed!!!!! :giggles:

The meanings of words had  different meanings to them (& me ) If you choose to S**t under the hedgerow that' your choice They were trying to earn a living from working the cut & trying to instill in the youngsters not to put any form of "junk or other wise in the cut" seems a shame "Joe Public is not taught the same.

• Greenie 1

I was appalled, even as a young lad in the fifties, watching a boatman chuck the contents of his soil bucket into the cut as we walked to primary school.  It must have been ripe because the smell wafted up to us watching from the bridge above. This  was Maghull on the Leeds and Liverpool.