What is "okay" to dump in the cut?

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, mross said:

You miss my point.  If you drop a sponge into a body of water the water level will rise until the sponge becomes soaked in water, when it will return to ALMOST the original level.  Carrot peelings will absorb some water - ergo ..................

Well just to be a bit silly, that depends on what is in the water other than pure H2O   You might get osmosis taking water out of the carrot peelings under certain circumstances.   ;)

21 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Well just to be a bit silly, that depends on what is in the water other than pure H2O   You might get osmosis taking water out of the carrot peelings under certain circumstances.   ;)

Only if the canal was salty.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Think he was being sarcastic.

Have a look at the link I posted earlier (post #4)before all the silliness and compare to your morals. Here lies the answer. 

Whilst I've enjoyed this thread enormously, I'm easily pleased. The original question was I  believe  a good one. It's good to get fresh eyes on a subject I did read the document you refer to a long time ago but, as with many things, parts of it are just forgotten and standards may slip a little. Obvious parts like oil and grease may be remembered but others not so much. So the value of this thread to me is in that I have just reread the document and have reminded myself of some of the no noes. 

So thanks to the OP for raising this and to the others for the fun. 

Have extracted the relevant part below

Manage your waste
Don’t pump oily water from your bilge into the waterway. Well-maintained 
engines shouldn’t leak oil. Check the drip tray under the engine and gearbox 
regularly. If it starts getting oily, find and mend the leak. Ideally use 
biodegradable oils. Avoid spilling petrol and diesel. If you do, mop it up 
– don’t use detergents.
The toilets on your boat mustn’t discharge sewage into the waterway. There are 
pump-out facilities for chemical or closed toilet systems at marinas and sanitary 
stations. Use the minimum amount of chemicals to avoid upsetting the sewage 
treatment system. If you have a closed toilet system, you may not need to use 
chemicals at all – so check your manual.
The wastewater from sinks, showers, washing machines and dishwashers is 
allowed to flow straight into the waterway. It can be very damaging to sensitive 
aquatic life. Most washing detergents contain phosphates which encourage rapid 
algal growth and eventual oxygen depletion when the algae die. This can cause 
fish and other aquatic life to suffocate. On top of this, the degreasers found in 
washing up liquids and soaps strip the natural oils from fish gills making it 
difficult for them to breathe. So to help keep the water as healthy as possible, 
put your cooking waste in the bin, and use phosphate-free detergents.
Please don’t throw any waste overboard – even apple cores take a long time to 
rot. Litter can kill wildlife, and it can cause problems for other boaters by getting 
tangled in their propellers. There are plenty of waste disposal points at marinas 
and along the waterway.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, mross said:

Only if the canal was salty.

Not necessarily.  Osmosis is the passage of molecules through a semi permeable membrane from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration.  It doesn't have to be water and it doesn't have to be salt.

However you did (I hope notice) I said I was being silly.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

You are allowed to put vast quantities coconuts into the canal in West London.

...and, I believe, in Leicester. Is it something to do with religious wedding ceremonies?

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

What Is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow? 

doesn't compute.   airspeed doesn't have a velocity - it IS a velocity.

you could have written 'airspeed (velocity)' but to my mind that would have been unnecessary.

PS: are you German - all these capitalised initial letters ?    where is Velo City anyway?

PPS: is Unladen related to Bin Laden?

10 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

doesn't compute.   airspeed doesn't have a velocity - it IS a velocity.

you could have written 'airspeed (velocity)' but to my mind that would have been unnecessary.

PS: are you German - all these capitalised initial letters ?    where is Velo City anyway?

PPS: is Unladen related to Bin Laden?

I must try harder with my smelling and punchuation

Eta.  Most Python stuff doesn't make sense either. 

Edited by rusty69

19 hours ago, ianali said:

Bait goes in. Fish eat it. Fish get bigger and they float...

Not the wet bread mix stuck to the side of my boat after a couple of fishermen fished opposite my boat they didn't! :mellow:

Edited by cuthound
To change fishmongers back to fishermen, bluddy auto-wrong!

Lovely green oxingating plants from the canal n rivertrust greener waterways regeneration system n their re introductery fish speiceices such as sticklebacks.,gudgeon. N stone loach on the extinct list (id like to think) 

12 hours ago, Bewildered said:

What happens to the water level if you carve a carrot into the shape of a duck then chuck it in the cut?

If you wee in the seado the waves get bigge

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Not the wet bread mix stuck to the side of my boat after a couple of fishermen fished opposite my boat they didn't! :mellow:

What do the sails think?

18 hours ago, rusty69 said:

What Is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow? 

Mach 3

2 minutes ago, Little tilly said:

You just made me hungry canu imagine red lobster ...  m. Now im of to the chippy 

They sell lobster at your chippy? There's posh for you!

On 19/07/2017 at 08:36, Athy said:

...and, I believe, in Leicester. Is it something to do with religious wedding ceremonies?

I thought it was to do with someone of the  Hindu faith passing away? some thing to do with helping the spirit on it's way to where ever they believe the spirits go ? Stand corrected

Soon after I started commercial boating I was tied with 2 generations of working boater families, Grandma was washing grand daughters hair & on completing the washing, drying, & brushing,she cleaned out the brush & comb, grand daughter climbed off the boat & was handed the hand bowl & hair from the brush/comb, she emptied the water in the hedge bottom & very carefully tucked the hair into the hedge bottom, when I asked her about it later, she said Grandpa/ma, Dad/mum say " we have to be very careful not to put anything in the cut it might get blocked up" while this may be considered OTT it showed how seriously they considered not to "dump" in the cut I adopted the same policy throughout my carrying days