What is "okay" to dump in the cut?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

No Crows,no.Canal Boat's sometimes have a Nest for African Swallows,well, more of a Perch really.they are placed there in the somewhat Vain hope that the Swallows will not Dump their Coconut Shells in the Canal thereby causing an Impediment to Navigation.:)

What Is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow? 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ok. If you were to chuck a car in instead of some maggots, would you still get your boat over the top? 

Definition
water level
noun
  1. the height reached by the water in a reservoir, river, storage tank, or similar.
So if you put any item into any of the above then the displacement will cause the  level to increase and hence the depth increase. 

3 minutes ago, reg said:

So if you put any item into any of the above then the displacement will cause the  level to increase and hence the depth increase. 

You should have no trouble getting you boat past then:)

5 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Not much,they give up with the Coconut when they think about the Physics and Aerodynamic Stuff

This thread went down faster than a sinking carrot (or do they only sink if they've gone off,or is that eggs?)

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

It might increase the level but my Ancient Greek pal Archie says the depth will be the same.

But its relative, we are only worried if they lay on the bottom in the channel, if they are at the sides or suspended then not a problem.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But its relative, we are only worried if they lay on the bottom in the channel, if they are at the sides or suspended then not a problem.

or if they swim!

What is "okay" to dump in the cut?

Dettol!

Edited by rusty69

Soggy carrot peelings will not displace much water so will reduce the depth.  But the amount must be absolutely trivial.  And will help ducks with their night hunting.  (Irony alert) :)

Edited by mross

CART SEEKS NOCTURNAL DUCKS.

Training given, but must be able to swim and dive.

It was thought that they had located a supply in France, but these turned out to be Le Mallard Imaginaire.

29 minutes ago, reg said:
Definition
water level
noun
  1. the height reached by the water in a reservoir, river, storage tank, or similar.

Yes but a canal isn't any of the above - it has fixed height weirs at various points along it to maintain the water at a specific level relative to the bank; not a set volume irrespective of items within it. So, anything which is solid which is in the canal and sinks, reduces the depth of the canal correspondingly as much as it increases the depth of the silt/sand/mud/whatever is already resting on the bottom.

You miss my point.  If you drop a sponge into a body of water the water level will rise until the sponge becomes soaked in water, when it will return to ALMOST the original level.  Carrot peelings will absorb some water - ergo ..................

1 minute ago, mross said:

You miss my point.  If you drop a sponge into a body of water the water level will rise until the sponge becomes soaked in water, when it will return to ALMOST the original level.  Carrot peelings will absorb some water - ergo ..................

I think you need to fill the bath, then get in it, then play with a number of objects such as a sponge, floating rubber ducks, pet goldfish, etc. If you notice anything remarkable, feel free to run down the street shouting!

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Yes but a canal isn't any of the above - it has fixed height weirs at various points along it to maintain the water at a specific level relative to the bank; not a set volume irrespective of items within it. So, anything which is solid which is in the canal and sinks, reduces the depth of the canal correspondingly as much as it increases the depth of the silt/sand/mud/whatever is already resting on the bottom.

Basically this is in agreement with what I said. The height of the water is NOT the depth of the water. The weirs maintain the height of the water above sea level the depth of the water is any variable below that height. 

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I think you need to fill the bath, then get in it, then play with a number of objects such as a sponge, floating rubber ducks, pet goldfish, etc. If you notice anything remarkable, feel free to run down the street shouting!

Edited by reg
Deleted disappointed with my own morality
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

Not really lol, some are saying I can dump some are saying I can't :D

Think he was being sarcastic.

Have a look at the link I posted earlier (post #4)before all the silliness and compare to your morals. Here lies the answer. 

Edited by rusty69

it will reduce depth as level is controlled by spill weirs .

I raised this about the fishermen after a visit to the Fishing store at Middlewich .

Edited by b0atman

Another thing that reduces water depth is leaving lock gates open with the paddles raised............now your carrot peelings pail into insignificance so peel away pee away and dump engine oil away with washing up liquid shortly after....

Dont follow this advice please as you will be hung drawn and quatered under section who gives a *explitive here *subsection # ironic slam of the C&rt#

Before u all kill me im joking your a bad man dumping your carrot scraps into the river and turning all the local wildlife into night vision experts. How ever will i poach fish now if they can actualy see.....and ducks......and swans......

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, ianali said:

I can't recall seeing many, if any boaters peeing off the side of a boat into the water. Which areas do you tend to boat in? Ian.

One does try to do it without an audience! :unsure: