What is "okay" to dump in the cut?

Featured Posts

Okay so before everyone jumps to the "nothing!!!" Answer im sure there are something because our sinks run into the canal so... for example I throw my vegetable peel out my side hatch, but that got me thinking where is the line drawn at what we can throw out? Ive seen many a boater urinating off the side of their boats so is that allowed? What can we and cant we put into the canal?

5 minutes ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

Okay so before everyone jumps to the "nothing!!!" Answer im sure there are something because our sinks run into the canal so... for example I throw my vegetable peel out my side hatch, but that got me thinking where is the line drawn at what we can throw out? Ive seen many a boater urinating off the side of their boats so is that allowed? What can we and cant we put into the canal?

I'd suggest you have a read of section 40 of the 1965 CANAL BYE LAWS.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

If you think that is legal mumbo-jumbo then you have not read it.

Im dyslexic and I did read it but there wasn't any specifics, and neither confirms nor denys urinating into the cut 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

no feeding the Ducks bread either. :)

I KNEW THAT 1 yay lol, I've told a few walkers about this myself

Opening it up to a wider debate that simply referring to the byelaws, I suppose it depends somewhat on your morals and beliefs. For example I have no bother with allowing washing up liquid (in its used form, from dishwashing) into the canal, but others seek and use ecological stuff. Similarly I'd never put oil into the canal, but others are happy to do this (then squirt a bit of washing up liquid afterwards, in some hope that it will neutralise it?)

22 minutes ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

I rwe recently saw someone leaning out the side hatch peeling carrots.

I don't understand the mentality, people frequently mention shallow canals and lack of dredging. Where do they think their peelings will end up and how does that help with depth?

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

I can't recall seeing many, if any boaters peeing off the side of a boat into the water. Which areas do you tend to boat in? Ian.

1 minute ago, MrBeethoven said:

Where do they think their peelings will end up and how does that help with depth?

I thought the fish will eat it honestly or the ducks...

1 minute ago, ianali said:

I can't recall seeing many, if any boaters peeing off the side of a boat into the water. Which areas do you tend to boat in? Ian.

I've seen it in Ricky and Wolverhampton and Birmingham

4 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

I don't understand the mentality, people frequently mention shallow canals and lack of dredging. Where do they think their peelings will end up and how does that help with depth?

- in the stomachs f fish and birds.

- Not at all.

NEWS FLASH: G.U.Main Line closed until further notice due to three-foot high piles of carrot peelings blocking the channel from Wigram's to Warwick. CART is sending a team of undernourished vegetarians to the scene and expects the blockage to be cleared by the week's end..

Just now, Athy said:

- in the stomachs f fish and birds.

- Not at all.

NEWS FLASH: G.U.Main Line closed until further notice due to three-foot high piles of carrot peelings blocking the channel from Wigram's to Warwick. CART is sending a team of undernourished vegetarians to the scene and expects the blockage to be cleared by the week's end..

Virtual greenie.