EA moorings BS

Nige123

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Use a flag held in place with magnets over your boat name & remove your number plates, or use 1 name on 1 side of your boat & another on the other. Disobey don't conform....  

Hadn't thought of that,thanks Nige.

But I won't be doing that.

On another matter. We have paid for a week on the Thames. £61. Gulp. If we joined the Thames yesterday at 10.30 when would I be expected to leave. I have a date on the ticket and verbally told midnight of that date. I think I've only got six days.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hadn't thought of that,thanks Nige.

But I won't be doing that.

On another matter. We have paid for a week on the Thames. £61. Gulp. If we joined the Thames yesterday at 10.30 when would I be expected to leave. I have a date on the ticket and verbally told midnight of that date. I think I've only got six days.

The licence is valid from midnight of the day you buy it so effectively you get the day you arrive for free.

Keith

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then you are taking up 'more than your fair share of the River'.

Quit moaning and get on with your life.

No I am using 3 boats on the Thames that I pay over £3000.00 a year on licence fee's. I also only use 1 boat at a time so I would like 3 boats worth of space in front & behind me.

41 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

So,in your view, when do I have to depart/leave?

Just before 168 hours, from the time it's valid from, runs out.

A bit of night boating if you really want to get your money's worth but in the real world during the eighth day from the day you bought the licence. If you bought it on the 1st of the month you would have to leave by midnight on the 8th.

Keith 

2 hours ago, Nige123 said:

nsl sign.jpg

Just don't eat a bad curry as if you get ill & over stay on day 3 you will pay £100 per day or have to move with the runs........ 

These are new - well new to me - if the map is correct they are opposite Uris old place on the Thames Path yes? The ones I was thinking of are opposite to these just down from his house. 

Still, on the bright side there are now moorings  where there were previously only no mooring signs...

Edited by Paringa

I'm not after, 'getting my monies worth'. But we entered the Thames midday yesterday 19th. Paid for a week. License states departure midnight 25th. To me, unless I've really lost the plot, is I'm a day short. We may well leave within a week so it may not be relevant. 

We paid for two weeks on the Avon, once again I felt I was a day short,so I may be 'doing it wrong' or I'm gullible.

On 20/07/2017 at 10:21, Steilsteven said:

The licence is valid from midnight of the day you buy it so effectively you get the day you arrive for free.

Keith

This is often stated on here but I checked once, and it wasn't quite what the EA were saying on the subject at the time, IIRC.

Do you perhaps have an EA link confirming this really the case, please? Many thanks.

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I'm not after, 'getting my monies worth'. But we entered the Thames midday yesterday 19th. Paid for a week. License states departure midnight 25th. To me, unless I've really lost the plot, is I'm a day short. We may well leave within a week so it may not be relevant. 

We paid for two weeks on the Avon, once again I felt I was a day short,so I may be 'doing it wrong' or I'm gullible.

I think you will have paid for all of the 19th so that is day 1... The 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, and ending on the last minute of the 25th... I think that makes 7 full days, that is how I would interpret it anyway.

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is often stated on here but I checked once, and it wasn't quite what the EA were saying on the subject at the time, IIRC.

Do you perhaps have an EA link confirming this really the case, please? Many thanks.

If I feel bored later - I may plough through the EA's site (it is a Government site after all.....)

However I believe 'the extra day' only applies to a daily licence - where it's stated that the licence starts at the following midnight. All others are......

No I'm wrong - ALL STL's start from the next midnight, Looky here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-charges

quite plain and unequivocal. See the PDF on the page above starting at Page 3. Google found it for me.

Edited by OldGoat
Got off my a**** and researched

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Afraid not Mike, it's just been my experience when buying visitor licences at Thames locks.

Maybe it's just the lock keepers being kind.

If you buy one in advance I suppose it wouldn't apply.

Keith

49 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

It certainly looks that way but maybe Mike is right and it starts at 00.01 on the day you bought it even though you would not be able to purchase one at that time. The fact that it's impossible to buy a licence at a Thames lock at 00.01 ( apart from Teddington which is open 24 hours ) was always the reasoning that a VL ran from the next midnight.

Keith

The getting your money's worth comment was purely tongue in cheek and not intended in any way to cast aspersions upon your character. :)

Edited by Steilsteven

I shouldn't edit a post and expect folks to read it while I'm editing it so:-

ALL STL's start from the next midnight, Looky here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-charges

quite plain and unequivocal. See the PDF on the page above starting at Page 3.

On 20/07/2017 at 12:37, OldGoat said:

I shouldn't edit a post and expect folks to read it while I'm editing it so:-

ALL STL's start from the next midnight, Looky here:-

quite plain and unequivocal. See the PDF on the page above starting at Page 3.

No it isn't! I copy and paste from the page 3 you say:

"7-day certificate The term ‘day’ is the 24 hours commencing after midnight and finishing at midnight."

Doesn't say anything about a licence starting the following midnight after the day it was purchasing on finishes. This is just defining when a 'day' starts and finishes.  

2 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

Keith

Does that apply to a week licence though.  I queried with with the lock keeper when why bought a weeks licence and he said it did not and therefore counted the current day in the weeks licence.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No it isn't! I copy and paste from the page 3 you say:

"7-day certificate The term ‘day’ is the 24 hours commencing after midnight and finishing at midnight."

Doesn't say anything about a licence starting the following midnight after the day it was purchasing on finishes. This is just defining when a 'day' starts and finishes.  

I was going to capitulate, but then - IF lockies (and they're the ones who control the issue) have always said that you effectively get two cruising days from a one day licence, then using that logic also applies to a week or month's licence? I'll see if I can find a lockie - or better still somebody at Reading. 

On 20/07/2017 at 13:06, OldGoat said:

I was going to capitulate, but then - IF lockies (and they're the ones who control the issue) have always said that you effectively get two cruising days from a one day licence, then using that logic also applies to a week or month's licence? I'll see if I can find a lockie - or better still somebody at Reading. 

That would be good. 

If they agree that a licence begins at the first midnight after it was purchased, perhaps you could get them to say so somewhere in writing please. Or even if it doesn't, saying in writing what counts as the first day of any STL would be helpful, as like I said earlier, it's not written down anywhere.

Q. When does the licence start?

A. It starts after midnight.

So logic ( to me at least ) dictates that the licence hasn't yet commenced.

Then again the E.A. and their predecessors have always been good at charging you for something you haven't had.

Keith

Gentlemen (and others who might read this post).

I have just been in conversation with Teddington Lock (because they are a port of entry and issue lots of STLs) and they reiterated my understanding that all STLs expire at midnight the day AFTER the period ends. So a day licence purchased at 00.01 today expires at 00.00 tomorrow. (remember TL is open 24/7 - so I could purchase a licence from them at that time).

There's nothing  in writing (well nothing that a lockie will admit to) other than the .pdf I pointed to earlier. As far as people on the ground are concerned - "that's it". Custom and practice. I don't think that's it such an issue that it's worth tanking any demand up to a higher level.

Good enough??

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Gentlemen (and others who might read this post).

I have just been in conversation with Teddington Lock (because they are a port of entry and issue lots of STLs) and they reiterated my understanding that all STLs expire at midnight the day AFTER the period ends. So a day licence purchased at 00.01 today expires at 00.00 tomorrow. (remember TL is open 24/7 - so I could purchase a licence from them at that time).

There's nothing  in writing (well nothing that a lockie will admit to) other than the .pdf I pointed to earlier. As far as people on the ground are concerned - "that's it". Custom and practice. I don't think that's it such an issue that it's worth tanking any demand up to a higher level.

Good enough??

So are you saying that if the expiry date on the licence is 20/07/17, that it actuality expires at midnight on 21/07/17?

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So are you saying that if the expiry date on the licence is 20/07/17, that it actuality expires at midnight on 21/07/17?

I studiously avoided anything about the date written on the licence....

I tried again (more info from TL) -

The effective two days ONLY applies to a one day licence. I think they just put the next day's date on the licence. (forgot to ask). I seem to recall that some years ago there was a fuss about folks feeling short changed so the terms were changed so that it expires at midnight on the day following.

ALL the others expire exactly  7 days (whatever) after  you buy it. No" bonus". 

So from the above the expiry date written is the expiry date.

On 20/07/2017 at 14:20, OldGoat said:

ALL the others expire exactly  7 days (whatever) after  you buy it. No" bonus". 

This is still as clear as mud.

So if you buy STL at midday on a Monday, you have to be off the river by midday of the following Sunday? I.e. exactly 7 days later?

P.S. Thank you for phoning Teddington and reporting back, even so.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is still as clear as mud.

So if you buy STL at midday on a Monday, you have to be off the river by midday of the following Sunday? I.e. exactly 7 days later?

P.S. Thank you for phoning Teddington and reporting back, even so.

OK try again -

For any STL other than a single day licence it expires at midnight on the  nth day. In your example, a 7 day licence starting at midday on Monday expires at  midnight on the Sunday.

(For a single day's licence you get at least a full 24 hours of cruising.)

On 20/07/2017 at 14:44, OldGoat said:

(For a single day's licence you get at least a full 24 hours of cruising.)

Thanks for the clarification.

This is like groundhog day. As I said previously, this is widely stated verbally but never written down anywhere on an official EA site or other source. Then SS gave us a link saying 'here it is written down', but no it wasn't!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman