EA moorings BS

Nige123

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

so you think the Thames is nothing more than a long term car park?

remind me where you live, I'll get a local company to park all their vans outside your house for a couple of weeks.

So you must just keep going non stop day & night... good for you.

My local plumbing shop did just that & as all the vans had road tax I had no problem with it.....

We will see how things work out over the next few years......

I just see more & more people taking part in a form of civil disobedience, so god knows what will happen if they all club together & get organised.

I no longer have the problem of using my boat only at weekends & the moorings I can work round no problem. just feel sorry for other river users.     

I really can't see what the problem is, it's only the EA 24 hour sites that are now managed by TVM, and they offer an additional 2 days for £10, there are many other free moorings, it's only the likes of Marlow, Henley & Windsor that charge in the £10 to £12 area, even them Marlow and Henley are free during the day. There are a few problems, but some have been resolved, the longstanding one is at Tesco in Reading, a bit of a bummer if you want to shop, but not a disaster. I regularly cruise between Windsor and Abingdon and we always get moored somewhere. I believe the situation is better now than it was a few years back, the OP cites Marlow & Wallingford, from memory Marlow is £12 to overnight, but there are a few 24 hour free spots, Wallingford I think is £8, so I've no idea what he's going on about. If he dislikes the river that much maybe he should keep off it.

2 hours ago, Tim said:

it's only the likes of Marlow, Henley & Windsor that charge in the £10 to £12 area, 

Which is IMO very reasonable the various caravanning organisations have a system of "certified locations/sites" where you can pay more than that for a field in the middle of nowhere and access to a tap.  OK there may be more facilities but there doesn't really have to be.

2 hours ago, Tim said:

I really can't see what the problem is, it's only the EA 24 hour sites that are now managed by TVM, and they offer an additional 2 days for £10, there are many other free moorings, it's only the likes of Marlow, Henley & Windsor that charge in the £10 to £12 area, even them Marlow and Henley are free during the day. There are a few problems, but some have been resolved, the longstanding one is at Tesco in Reading, a bit of a bummer if you want to shop, but not a disaster. I regularly cruise between Windsor and Abingdon and we always get moored somewhere. I believe the situation is better now than it was a few years back, the OP cites Marlow & Wallingford, from memory Marlow is £12 to overnight, but there are a few 24 hour free spots, Wallingford I think is £8, so I've no idea what he's going on about. If he dislikes the river that much maybe he should keep off it.

You must not have been out that much this year. Henley is always full now & most boats are left for a week for the very reason I have given. I have asked some of the boat owners! What I have seen in the last couple of years is boats being pushed off CRT waters in London & Bath etc that are now on the Thames, the result is CRT's unwanted boats are now on the Thames trying to find moorings. The new signs have not helped things as I have seen more "No Mooring" signs all over like Shiplake Collage & Thames Promenade in Reading & Days Lock area etc etc...... Moorings are being cut just when more boats are looking for them. Lets take Sonning you have over a mile of possible mooring space not near an poss homes that would complain about moored boats with logs on the roof. Why not have a caretaker to control that section & make sure moorings are always available for people to moor up? now it's a grab & stay until you get sh*t. & that's not just the sub £20k boats I have seen big old Dutch barges that cost upwards of £200k left for weeks here. making some more marinas that normal folk can afford is the way forward, if not all the poorer boaters will be heading North to the lower costing areas & then you will see what happened in London coming to a northern town near you....... Just saying....................

We all dream of the French water ways with electric & water points all over & this I think would be a better way to spend time & money, providing & expanding our river experience with pump outs that work, water & electric. 

2 hours ago, Nige123 said:

You must not have been out that much this year. Henley is always full now & most boats are left for a week for the very reason I have given. I have asked some of the boat owners! What I have seen in the last couple of years is boats being pushed off CRT waters in London & Bath etc that are now on the Thames, the result is CRT's unwanted boats are now on the Thames trying to find moorings. The new signs have not helped things as I have seen more "No Mooring" signs all over like Shiplake Collage & Thames Promenade in Reading & Days Lock area etc etc...... Moorings are being cut just when more boats are looking for them. Lets take Sonning you have over a mile of possible mooring space not near an poss homes that would complain about moored boats with logs on the roof. Why not have a caretaker to control that section & make sure moorings are always available for people to moor up? now it's a grab & stay until you get sh*t. & that's not just the sub £20k boats I have seen big old Dutch barges that cost upwards of £200k left for weeks here. making some more marinas that normal folk can afford is the way forward, if not all the poorer boaters will be heading North to the lower costing areas & then you will see what happened in London coming to a northern town near you....... Just saying....................

Maybe its because its someones private land.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Nige123 said:

FYI, I've been out pretty much every weekend and more since the end of March, mainly in the Marlow to Wallingford area, you are talking complete and utter rubbish. I get moored in Henley whenever I turn up, there are always spaces on the SRB moorings, I will concede that Marlow can sometimes be full, as can Goring & Wallingford, but if you know the river, and you clearly don't! there are alternatives. I've no idea where all these 'dumped' boats are that you refer to, unless you mean the boats on the council moorings which pay £55 a week for the pleasure, a good price IMO! And, yes, lets take Sonning, there are always plenty of spaces both above and below the lock on the TVM monitored moorings, it is you who cannot be getting out much. You seem to be trying to make a case to support your OP and it quite clearly doesn't stand up.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Tim said:

FYI, I've been out pretty much every weekend and more since the end of March, mainly in the Marlow to Wallingford area, you are talking complete and utter rubbish. I get moored in Henley whenever I turn up, there are always spaces on the SRB moorings, I will concede that Marlow can sometimes be full, as can Goring & Wallingford, but if you know the river, and you clearly don't! there are alternatives. I've no idea where all these 'dumped' boats are that you refer to, unless you mean the boats on the council moorings which pay £55 a week for the pleasure, a good price IMO! And, yes, lets take Sonning, there are always plenty of spaces both above and below the lock on the TVM monitored moorings, it is you who cannot be getting out much. You seem to be trying to make a case to support your OP and it quite clearly doesn't stand up.

On a point of order - there are no TVM moorings below Sonning lock (unless my enforced absence or TVM itself are mistaken). Spaces on the LHS going up "Uri Geller's old" are now marked no mooring, because they've been abused in the past and those on the RHS have lumps of stone to prevent mooring, for the same reason.

I am finding that out of town moorings are harder to get as some boats seem to take up residence for weeks, months or even years in some of the spots. I can usually find somewhere but then I have been on the Thames a while...

Sadly as more landowners put up signs saying no mooring the areas where you can moor become fewer, and with increasing numbers of boats being used to live on that can't go into a marina inevitably the wild and town moorings will be busier.

The EA 24Hr moorings had to have something done because previous monitoring and enforcement seemed to be no deterrent to a few laying up for as long as they felt. No system will suit every boaters needs but this does seem to be working for the most part...

We are on East Street moorings in Oxford. Read the sign,eventually, and saw that you're supposed to notify TVM via their website. So I went online and it says it's not in use presently. Hey ho! Thought I.

about an hour later a bod walked past taking boatnames. Just as well I saw him. I would have tried to pull the wool when I was actually approached.

All the above is irrelevant as we are moving on tomorrow anyway. The moorings here are full.

6 hours ago, OldGoat said:

On a point of order - there are no TVM moorings below Sonning lock (unless my enforced absence or TVM itself are mistaken). Spaces on the LHS going up "Uri Geller's old" are now marked no mooring, because they've been abused in the past and those on the RHS have lumps of stone to prevent mooring, for the same reason.

On a further point of order, the no mooring signs you refer to have TVM mooring signs fixed over the top of them, happened a couple of Months ago I think, certainly earlier this year.

I'm going by them on Friday morning, I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Edited to note I haven't checked on their website to see if this location is now TVM.

Edited by Tim

I had a look at them thinking Tvm had taken over, certainly the sign looked like one of theirs. I can't remember exactly the details but it was something along the ten pounds to moor lines and you had to call a number. I didn't bother to stop with free moorings above the lock. Of course it night have changed again... pic would be great if you remember. 

8 hours ago, Paringa said:

I had a look at them thinking Tvm had taken over, certainly the sign looked like one of theirs. I can't remember exactly the details but it was something along the ten pounds to moor lines and you had to call a number. I didn't bother to stop with free moorings above the lock. Of course it night have changed again... pic would be great if you remember. 

I'm pretty sure it's the same TVM green sign, but I am perhaps guilty of assumption as I've only seen them from the middle of the river and not looked close up. The TVM website only shows above the lock as a location.

17 hours ago, OldGoat said:

You are right.... it's the simple fact that every year mooring spaces are getting less & less & more & more boats are turning up. My point is live aboard Boat chasing by EA & CRT is not helping. I think making some space for live aboard boats that can't afford Thames & Kennet marina prices (£750 per month for my boat) may help the rest of us continue to find mooring spaces. like I say lets see what happens over the next few years.....

11 hours ago, Tim said:

On a further point of order, the no mooring signs you refer to have TVM mooring signs fixed over the top of them, happened a couple of Months ago I think, certainly earlier this year.

I'm going by them on Friday morning, I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Edited to note I haven't checked on their website to see if this location is now TVM.

nsl sign.jpg

Just don't eat a bad curry as if you get ill & over stay on day 3 you will pay £100 per day or have to move with the runs........ 

8 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

You are right.... it's the simple fact that every year mooring spaces are getting less & less & more & more boats are turning up. My point is live aboard Boat chasing by EA & CRT is not helping. I think making some space for live aboard boats that can't afford Thames & Kennet marina prices (£750 per month for my boat) may help the rest of us continue to find mooring spaces. like I say lets see what happens over the next few years.....

Your suggestion appears to be something like "I want to boat on the Thames / K&A but I cannot afford the prices- THEY should reduce the prices so I can afford it"

I am sure there are people who would love to live in a 'chocolate box cottage in he middle of a rural village', but unfortunately can only afford to live in a terraced house in the middle of a city.

If you are so 'unhappy' paying your £750 per month and never finding space to moor up, why not move to an area with more 'reasonable' rates, and plenty of overnight moorings available.

• Greenie 3

13 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We are on East Street moorings in Oxford. Read the sign,eventually, and saw that you're supposed to notify TVM via their website. So I went online and it says it's not in use presently. Hey ho! Thought I.

about an hour later a bod walked past taking boatnames. Just as well I saw him. I would have tried to pull the wool when I was actually approached.

All the above is irrelevant as we are moving on tomorrow anyway. The moorings here are full.

Use a flag held in place with magnets over your boat name & remove your number plates, or use 1 name on 1 side of your boat & another on the other. Disobey don't conform....  

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Your suggestion appears to be something like "I want to boat on the Thames / K&A but I cannot afford the prices- THEY should reduce the prices so I can afford it"

I am sure there are people who would love to live in a 'chocolate box cottage in he middle of a rural village', but unfortunately can only afford to live in a terraced house in the middle of a city.

If you are so 'unhappy' paying your £750 per month and never finding space to moor up, why not move to an area with more 'reasonable' rates, and plenty of overnight moorings available.

I have 9 boats & pay for 2 moorings. I then pay to moor in places like Henley for 2 boats @ £110 per week & chase the guys to pay. you see I also have lots of cash....  I'm not selfish A*** hole & feel sorry for people that are not as lucky as I am.

25 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

I have 9 boats & pay for 2 moorings. I then pay to moor in places like Henley for 2 boats @ £110 per week & chase the guys to pay. you see I also have lots of cash....  I'm not selfish A*** hole & feel sorry for people that are not as lucky as I am. 

That really takes the biscuit -

You have nine boats which you rent out and you expect EA and riparian owners to increase your profit margins by letting you moor for free and low cost..

Your other name is not Trotman, by any chance????? 

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

That really takes the biscuit -

You have nine boats which you rent out and you expect EA and riparian owners to increase your profit margins by letting you moor for free and low cost..

Your other name is not Trotman, by any chance????? 

Where did he say that?

Keith

46 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Why, should we have cheap air flights for people that cant afford it, or free pent houses, how about free Rollsroyces for people who can only afford Minis, Boating and mooring is not a right even if you chose it as your lifestyle.