Temp gauge fitting

Featured Posts

I have just sent for a temp gauge for our narrow boat and sender unit the gauge has only two wires coming out of the back of the gauge ,will one fit to the sender unit when i have fitted it and the other to the ignition live when the key is turned on just guessing , now on our boat there is only a light and a buzzer which i have never herd or seen come on and not really 100% confident in it any help would be appreciated thanks PS it going on Isuzu 35 hp 

A pic or model / make might help.  Most of the cheap eBay units have two wires for the illumination, these are usually red and b lack and very thin. The connections are usually by screw thread and nuts, and typically there are 3, ignition live, negative and  sender ( often marked s)

Does the sender have one or two terminals ? Proper marine ones will have two, but most car type only have one relying on the engine to provide an 'earth return' (negative)

Red and a black wire coming out together and looks like three threaded brass threaded bolts coming out ,and two bolts that hold it in place to what ever it i gets fixed to i will have to see if there are any instructions 

Edited by Dave Bebb

Are they very thin red and black wires - if so they are PROBABLY for the illuminating bulb and can be ignored.

Please can we have a photo of the back of the gauge, the make and model, or details of the supplier so we can see what is what. Normally I would expect those two thin wires plus two or three terminals.

10 hours ago, jonathanA said:

A pic or model / make might help.  Most of the cheap eBay units have two wires for the illumination, these are usually red and b lack and very thin. The connections are usually by screw thread and nuts, and typically there are 3, ignition live, negative and  sender ( often marked s)

Does the sender have one or two terminals ? Proper marine ones will have two, but most car type only have one relying on the engine to provide an 'earth return' (negative)

Depending on engine, two terminals may be one for warning light and one for a gauge. 

If it's one of the cheap Chinese ones the instructions are basic but clear enough. I've had a couple off eBay at around a fiver including the sender. I have found the senders to be easily damaged if they are the threaded brass stud connection type, better to use a push on connection rather than over tighten the nut and damage the sender.

8 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

The Gauge has not come yet but it be here weds

So are you referring to the sender when you write...

23 hours ago, Dave Bebb said:

Red and a black wire coming out together and looks like three threaded brass threaded bolts coming out ,and two bolts that hold it in place to what ever it i gets fixed to

??

On 18/07/2017 at 22:37, WotEver said:

So are you referring to the sender when you write...

??

No, I am sure he is on about the gauge - black & red wires for the warning lamps, two long threaded studs to the clamping bridge piece, three short nut type terminals for the wiring.

Not the most enlightening set of posts from the OP when he could have just given us the Ebay number so we could look at what he has bought.

The next potential question will be "the sender does not fit the hole in the engine, how do I fit it".

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, I am sure he is on about the gauge - black & red wires for the warning lamps, two long threaded studs to the clamping bridge piece, three short nut type terminals for the wiring.

Not the most enlightening set of posts from the OP when he could have just given us the Ebay number so we could look at what he has bought.

The next potential question will be "the sender does not fit the hole in the engine, how do I fit it".

A Birmingham screwdriver???