alan_fincher

"City" Car Recommendations?

53 posts in this topic

A none boating topic.

About a year and a half ago we "inherited" an old Ford Ka when Cath's mum died suddenly.  We decided to put it on the road, and it has proved remarkably reliable, and we have found it really useful to have something so compact.  However I don't want to try getting it through another MOT.

So we aim to look for a new, (or possibly nearly new), car of similar dimensions.  This seems to be classified as the "city car" sector.

Top recommendations seem to be Volkswagen Up, (or the very similar Skoda or Seat models built on the same shell), or the Hyundai i10.

So has anybody got recent experience of these models, or near equivalents.

I'm interested in both the good points and the bad.

How has quality / reliability been, and what niggles have you had?

Many thanks.

Just to be different......

ive a few friends who have electric cars...mainly nissian leafs....and they think they are brilliant...cost a bit more to buy but cheaper to run. Might be worth a look at. One guy does long journeys in his via rapid charge points

We've just ordered our fourth Fiat Panda (we trade ours in every three years).  I have no interest in modern engines and I can honestly say that the only time I open the bonnet is when the screen washer needs replenishing. 

I've never read a review, so I don't know what the experts feel.  All I can say is that they are perfectly reliable, can bomb up and down motorways, are reasonably economic to run and have a pretty good luggage space.

The front seats are relatively high up so it makes it much easier for anyone with a dodgy knee to get in and out.

4 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

We've just ordered our fourth Fiat Panda (we trade ours in every three years).  I have no interest in modern engines and I can honestly say that the only time I open the bonnet is when the screen washer needs replenishing. 

I've never read a review, so I don't know what the experts feel.  All I can say is that they are perfectly reliable, can bomb up and down motorways, are reasonably economic to run and have a pretty good luggage space.

The front seats are relatively high up so it makes it much easier for anyone with a dodgy knee to get in and out.

Interestingly this was the number 2 choice in the class in a magazine I have just looked at, behing the Volkswagen Up.

Being "taller" than some of the others of the same length, I'm guessing it may feel "roomier", particularly for us 6 footers.

It may be worth a look as well then - thanks!

Avoid the smart car, work provide one and I have had more "I am going to die" moments with it than any other car ever, the automatic gearbox box is so sluggish that I have decided its not a real mechanical box but a small stoned pixie that operates the box for you.

Foot on the throttle, small hammer hits his head, he takes a few seconds to acknowledge this (being stoned) and obviously he has to finish skinning up before he changes gear.

All the while I have a rush hour articulated lorry hammering down on me flashing lights and stood on his horn

Oh and the suspension is so hard speed bumps are likely to shattet your spine not just slow you down.

Don't get one

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Interestingly this was the number 2 choice in the class in a magazine I have just looked at, behing the Volkswagen Up.

Being "taller" than some of the others of the same length, I'm guessing it may feel "roomier", particularly for us 6 footers.

We had an '06 diesel Panda for a year or two, brilliant, 60mpg, great performance, nice and roomy for my 6' height. But.. problem was the clutch which I think was a non uprated standard unit from the smaller petrol engine, kept slipping under hard acceleration and a new replacement was only slightly better. Shame but newer ones might be better? 

Fiat 500s work well as a city car. Daughter is on her second, wide has an Abarth version. Great little cars and very cool and pretty...so I'm told.

I can thoroughly recommend a Seat Mii, as you have said they are the same as the VW up, you just don't pay extra for the name.  I bought mine brand new in June 2015 and I have had no problems at all with it.  It runs well, is very economical on fuel and is a very nice car to drive.  Putting the back seat down means I can get plenty in it when I need to, but the boot itself is big enough for a weeks shopping for three people easily.

Him indoors is 6ft and can drive it easily with out having to tilt his head :)

Edited by Tawny75

Son and daughter-in-law were looking for a Ka replacement some four years ago. They fancied a Skoda Citigo, but the Fabia was rather bigger, much safer, and also cheaper. 

They still have the Fabia (1.2 petrol) and have had absolutely no problems, zero, zilch, with it.  

We hire a lot of small cars when we fly down to the boat (I always go for the cheapest. Worst cars Chevrolet Spark (truely awful) and Vauxhall Corsa (totally gutless). I quite like the i10 because it's fairly lively, but it is very lightly built and tinny, rather vague and spongy gear change. Picked up a Toyota Aygo last night  very lively, comfortable, totally capable of motorway speeds without feeling you are screaming it, and the 3 cylinder torquey engine that I really like. It is a bit rumbly at low revs but I rather like that. This one has a reversing camera which, whilst not really necessary in a tiny car, does allow you to park in the smallest spaces without touching. Of course the Aygo is the same as the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107/108.

I've had the UP! and it too is quite torquey and lively but I still marginally prefer the Aygo. And as a new convert to Skoda ownership myself  I think I'd get the Citigo before the UP! 

Edited by nicknorman

15 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A none boating topic.

About a year and a half ago we "inherited" an old Ford Ka when Cath's mum died suddenly.  We decided to put it on the road, and it has proved remarkably reliable, and we have found it really useful to have something so compact.  However I don't want to try getting it through another MOT.

So we aim to look for a new, (or possibly nearly new), car of similar dimensions.  This seems to be classified as the "city car" sector.

Top recommendations seem to be Volkswagen Up, (or the very similar Skoda or Seat models built on the same shell), or the Hyundai i10.

So has anybody got recent experience of these models, or near equivalents.

I'm interested in both the good points and the bad.

How has quality / reliability been, and what niggles have you had?

Many thanks.

Kia Picanto. Cheaper than most and a great little car. I bought one new and thrashed it unmercilessley with trainee drivers for 98,000 miles in two years before buying another new Kia. Totally reliable and I bet a good buy secondhand.

We run a Panda and an i10, and both are fine. The reason for the choice was that both are four door and fairly easy for access for me with arthritis. In fact, in general, the more expensive the car, the poorer I find access.

16 hours ago, frangar said:

Just to be different......

ive a few friends who have electric cars...mainly nissian leafs....and they think they are brilliant...cost a bit more to buy but cheaper to run. Might be worth a look at. One guy does long journeys in his via rapid charge points

Yes i would purchase one of these or the Renault equivalent 90 mile range ish should be enough for most people

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

We run a Panda and an i10, and both are fine. The reason for the choice was that both are four door and fairly easy for access for me with arthritis. In fact, in general, the more expensive the car, the poorer I find access.

We also have a Panda 1.1l - so far it's done 186,000 miles on an 09 plate.  Parts are cheap as chips and it certainly goes a long way on a gallon.  I've fitted a towbar and managed to haul a longish trailer with a 230kg motorcycle on board from Telford to Milton Keynes.  Can't fault the car.

We sold our city car last night! Fiat 500 sport great car.

One thing to be wary of with 500 is the stupid 900cc engine they go bang regularly. The 1.2 or 1.4 is fine.

Fiat 500 is a shared platform with latest Ford Ka

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Fiat 500 is a shared platform with latest Ford Ka

And the Ka looks far better, IMHO. The 500 looks like a fashion statement, not a small car.

and the cheaper Panda is better than either.

27 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

And the Ka looks far better, IMHO. The 500 looks like a fashion statement, not a small car.

and the cheaper Panda is better than either.

Ka...prettier than a 500.. No, just no! 

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I bought one new and thrashed it unmercilessly.

You were gentle with it, then?

20 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A friend who is 6'7" tall has a Panda.

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

You were gentle with it, then?

:D Nope.............I used to boot it between pupils to try and make it go like my jag which was my personal car at the time or the t5 Volvo. It was a great little tool for what I wanted it for and didn't cost me a penny other than oil changes and tyres and a clutch change around 80k of complete learner driver abuse and a set of brake pads. I don't use many sets of brake pads on any car. A truly good little car.

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Ka...prettier than a 500.. No, just no! 

Fashion slave! Somebody is always prepared to pay good money to be a poseur.

The 500 is a genetic throwback to the 1950s, as is the "new Mini". The only 'homage' design that works, IMO, is the VW Beetle and even that is greatly inferior to the Golf. Which in turn is slightly inferior to the Skoda Octavia.

But then I'm a great believer in "form follows function".  

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Fashion slave! Somebody is always prepared to pay good money to be a poseur.

The 500 is a genetic throwback to the 1950s, as is the "new Mini". The only 'homage' design that works, IMO, is the VW Beetle and even that is greatly inferior to the Golf. Which in turn is slightly inferior to the Skoda Octavia.

But then I'm a great believer in "form follows function".  

What is not functional about a 500? 

2 minutes ago, ianali said:

What is not functional about a 500? 

It's smaller than a Panda, for a start, and doesn't have a boot nearly as big.

You're also far more likely to trip over it.