pete23

Sutton stop at a stop!!

84 posts in this topic

Just now, Athy said:

...as I'm sure we all do, but "accidental damage" leaves less of a nasty taste in one's mouth than "wanton vandalism".

Maybe they didn't know at the time what caused it?  The initial call about the issue might have said something along the lines of "someone's damaged a gate" and whoever was typing the notice up assumed vandalism.

Anyway, it's too hot and I haven't got the time to analyse every word in a stoppage notice unlike some on here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IanM said:

Maybe they didn't know at the time what caused it?  The initial call about the issue might have said something along the lines of "someone's damaged a gate" and whoever was typing the notice up assumed vandalism.

Anyway, it's too hot and I haven't got the time to analyse every word in a stoppage notice unlike some on here.

No, nor me, but I'm still pleased that vandalism didn't occur at this, one of the most attractive spots on our waterways.

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

perhaps the Hudson owner wanted to win best in show so stopped the others from making it

Ooooooooh, get him!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

perhaps the Hudson owner wanted to win best in show so stopped the others from making it

Well for clarity the Hudson didn't cause the damage, it was waiting to go into the lock but couldn't. So is now stuck the wrong side of the stoppage.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to what has happened here.  In May coming up Lapworth, as we came out of a lock a bolt protruding from the top gate into the open lock space hit one of the brass fender eyes that are in the side of the hull and mangled it.  This is the same issue, except in this case the bolt got stuck in an opening in the boat and the momentum pulled the bold out of the gate and the metal strip with it.  To me this is caused by poor maintenance not vandalism, unless they are referring to the potential damage that CRT has done to the boat (irony).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, john6767 said:

I can relate to what has happened here.  In May coming up Lapworth, as we came out of a lock a bolt protruding from the top gate into the open lock space hit one of the brass fender eyes that are in the side of the hull and mangled it.  This is the same issue, except in this case the bolt got stuck in an opening in the boat and the momentum pulled the bold out of the gate and the metal strip with it.  To me this is caused by poor maintenance not vandalism, unless they are referring to the potential damage that CRT has done to the boat (irony).

Or perhaps boaters with fender eyes or vent holes in the side of the hull should take care not to snag these on any projecting ironwork. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Or perhaps boaters with fender eyes or vent holes in the side of the hull should take care not to snag these on any projecting ironwork. 

So that is every boat then.  I don't see why there should be bolts protruding to that extent the correct length bolt could be used.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.