Sutton stop at a stop!!

pete23

Featured Posts

Ha, 3 days apparently, no stop planks here, got to be made!   No pumps, got to hire them!!   

The pore folk on the hire boat from rugby boats had no joy with rugby boats have abandoned vessel  and had to sort there own transport out as far as I'm aware. 

Nice couple of pints at the pub, feel there going to be busy the next few days. 

I think I would be tempted to take the lock out of use, ie just remove the broken lock gate and lock the other one in the open position. As noted above the fall is pretty small and so it wouldn't cause too many problems to equalise the levels for a few weeks ??

17 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think I would be tempted to take the lock out of use, ie just remove the broken lock gate and lock the other one in the open position. As noted above the fall is pretty small and so it wouldn't cause too many problems to equalise the levels for a few weeks ??

Although it's only a small fall it's a long pound above it, a cursory estimate suggests at least 36,000 cubic metres of water are held back by the lock. There'd be a heck of a flow for quite a while, and it would take a long time to get the head of water back afterwards.

I'm sure, with some imagination, they could arrange to hold the one gate open for say, ten minutes at a time to let boats through, although I suspect most would struggle to make it UP the lock...;)

55 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Although it's only a small fall it's a long pound above it, a cursory estimate suggests at least 36,000 cubic metres of water are held back by the lock. There'd be a heck of a flow for quite a while, and it would take a long time to get the head of water back afterwards.

I'm sure, with some imagination, they could arrange to hold the one gate open for say, ten minutes at a time to let boats through, although I suspect most would struggle to make it UP the lock...;)

Thank you for doing that, I was about to make a similar estimate. The answer needs to be in terms of the number of Olympic swimming pools, though?

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Would that make it a flash lock?

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Would that make it a flash lock?

Probably, although I'm not sure a flash lock is clearly defined. Preston Brook lock can be used like this, and at one time had only one gate, but the gate is over 9 feet wide which makes passage of a 7 foot boat easier.

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thank you for doing that, I was about to make a similar estimate. The answer needs to be in terms of the number of Olympic swimming pools, though?

359 double decker bus units... ;):lol:

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

But how many times the size of Wales?

The size of Wales is well established as a unit of area, but here we're talking volume. You could however use it if you can find a figure for the volume of Wales, i.e. the integral over its area of height above sea level. Has anyone ever worked that out? The Ordnance Survey probably have the raw data for it, if they cared to run a suitable program on it.

Anyway, so long as the lock is fixed by the time I go by next week I'm alright Jack.

But with estimatting a volume for Wales look you there are numerous excavated bits  to be accounted for as well.  Not as many as there were in the south but still plenty of slate caverns and the like in the north.

N