pete23

Sutton stop at a stop!!

84 posts in this topic

Could be a long day! Lock gate nackered, talk of draining lock down! One cart bloke here walking round on his phone, oh well could be worse places to stop. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 minutes ago, pete23 said:

talk of draining lock down

How? It's a stop lock with a six inch fall

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Talk of being closed for two or more days!!  Some happy hire boaters about!!   All just talk though,  I'm off for a pint! 

29 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

presumably stop planks each end and a pump?

58 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Like this. :)

Sutton stop lock.jpg

Ha, 3 days apparently, no stop planks here, got to be made!   No pumps, got to hire them!!   

The pore folk on the hire boat from rugby boats had no joy with rugby boats have abandoned vessel  and had to sort there own transport out as far as I'm aware. 

Nice couple of pints at the pub, feel there going to be busy the next few days. 

Bonkers!

They had a building next to the lock that could have held planks and stuff, in fact it more than likely did till they knocked it down last year.

2 hours ago, pete23 said:

One cart bloke here walking round on his phone,  

Has he fallen off it yet.....great balancing act.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Like this. :)

Sutton stop lock.jpg

Don't know what happened there!!   Could bo worse places to be stuck though

image1.JPG

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Has he fallen off it yet.....great balancing act.

It amazes me the skills of cart, he was still on it about two hours ago, didn't fall of once!! 

I think I would be tempted to take the lock out of use, ie just remove the broken lock gate and lock the other one in the open position. As noted above the fall is pretty small and so it wouldn't cause too many problems to equalise the levels for a few weeks ??

13 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I would turn and head up the ashby for a few days.

Just come of the ashby 

17 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think I would be tempted to take the lock out of use, ie just remove the broken lock gate and lock the other one in the open position. As noted above the fall is pretty small and so it wouldn't cause too many problems to equalise the levels for a few weeks ??

Although it's only a small fall it's a long pound above it, a cursory estimate suggests at least 36,000 cubic metres of water are held back by the lock. There'd be a heck of a flow for quite a while, and it would take a long time to get the head of water back afterwards.

I'm sure, with some imagination, they could arrange to hold the one gate open for say, ten minutes at a time to let boats through, although I suspect most would struggle to make it UP the lock...;)

55 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Although it's only a small fall it's a long pound above it, a cursory estimate suggests at least 36,000 cubic metres of water are held back by the lock. There'd be a heck of a flow for quite a while, and it would take a long time to get the head of water back afterwards.

I'm sure, with some imagination, they could arrange to hold the one gate open for say, ten minutes at a time to let boats through, although I suspect most would struggle to make it UP the lock...;)

Thank you for doing that, I was about to make a similar estimate. The answer needs to be in terms of the number of Olympic swimming pools, though?

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Would that make it a flash lock?

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Would that make it a flash lock?

Probably, although I'm not sure a flash lock is clearly defined. Preston Brook lock can be used like this, and at one time had only one gate, but the gate is over 9 feet wide which makes passage of a 7 foot boat easier.

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thank you for doing that, I was about to make a similar estimate. The answer needs to be in terms of the number of Olympic swimming pools, though?

359 double decker bus units... ;):lol:

18 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

359 double decker bus units... ;):lol:

But how many times the size of Wales?

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

But how many times the size of Wales?

The size of Wales is well established as a unit of area, but here we're talking volume. You could however use it if you can find a figure for the volume of Wales, i.e. the integral over its area of height above sea level. Has anyone ever worked that out? The Ordnance Survey probably have the raw data for it, if they cared to run a suitable program on it.

Anyway, so long as the lock is fixed by the time I go by next week I'm alright Jack.

But with estimatting a volume for Wales look you there are numerous excavated bits  to be accounted for as well.  Not as many as there were in the south but still plenty of slate caverns and the like in the north.

N