New Battery Bank set up

Barroca Grande 2

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, croftie said:

Is the direct to battery so that you cannot shut it down too quickly via a battery master switch but needs switching off via its control. It can then go through a cooling down phase.

Quite possibly. 

• 2 weeks later...

You will all be thrilled to know that the changeover went brilliantly.  Took longer than expected as when we removed the batteries and lifted the box we saw what a pathetic attempt Brian (spit spit) had done with supporting it.  As expected when I had my shunt at West Stockwith lock the box had shifted but luckily wasn't actually pressing on the pipework that went over the upstand between the engine bilge and cabin bilge.  I had been very worried about this.  What had happened was the piece of wood balanced on said upstand was only held inplace at the steps end and had swivelled and so the box had tilted.  Anyway a lot of time was spent making a proper support under there.  That took all of Sunday we managed to get the new batteries in situ but only one link made up.  On Monday we got all the links made that needed changing and installed as per the properly balanced method.  We managed to not need the busbars as using the new ends we could get 4 of the big cables on each main takeoff. 2 links and 2 from the isolator switches (one of these includes the Mikuni apparantly :) ) on the positive side that left only two little ones (Solar and smartgauge)  on the negative side the 4 large were 2 links and 2 to the Victron and three little ones (Solar, smartgauge and the Mikuni)  I'm afraid we had to have the negative that goes to the starter battery coming off the other battery of the bank of two (C and D) as there was no way to get 5 large cables off the same point.    We made an executive decision that this one was the one least likely to affect the balance as it is the earthing one?

Today I am going back on the boat and setting off on my travels again.  The boy hasn't reported any problems thsi week so here goes.  Thanks for your advice.  Out

They will be plenty of amps going via the starter/main battery negative link, especially if you have your alternator feed going to the starter battery first. 

This presumes you have a split charge relay or the likes and not two alternators.