54 posts in this topic

Is the direct to battery so that you cannot shut it down too quickly via a battery master switch but needs switching off via its control. It can then go through a cooling down phase.

4 hours ago, croftie said:

Is the direct to battery so that you cannot shut it down too quickly via a battery master switch but needs switching off via its control. It can then go through a cooling down phase.

That makes sense.

4 hours ago, croftie said:

Quite possibly. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cpickle
      Hi Everyone 
      I've been trying to work out how much Solar and batteries I need, ideally to be able to use the panels for most electricity even through winter. I have lots of roof space and I budgeted for a lot of Solar so I'm ok with the finance side. 
      I have done the usage calcs based on 'worst case' or maximum potential use, and overspeced the solar needs by 100% to account for winter. However, the Bimble solar calc seems to suggest I need a 1166 AH battery bank!?  I assume this is because I need double the AH I use so as not to run the batteries to 0. That's a lot of batteries though! Am I understanding this correctly?
      What do other potentially power hungry users have?
      Thanks 
      Caitlin 

• By Johny London
      Just thinking about how best to bring my solar cabling into the boat - I've seen it going into mushroom vents but I'm doubtful I'll be able to run it inside the roof space without taking half the ceiling down - it's a few metres. So I looked for waterproof junction boxes and found some for solar panels - with diodes already inside. That set me a thinking regarding blocking diodes and whether I need them!
      So, before I order the cheapest little plastic box with a grommeted hole, perhaps I could ask what others have used and whether diodes are necessary!
      ta
    • By DeanS
      Hi all.
      I purchased a 2nd boat which came with 4 solar panels (unconnected) , with the following specs (see image). Do you know what controller I should buy to connect them to 12V batteries ?

Many Thanks.

• By Tara1234
      Hey so I have recently got myself a boat which is a norman 27 fibreglass boat. I am currently pondering how I am going to install solar panels onto this boat, I have heard that the best way is to drill them on but I dont really want to do that as I have heard fibreglass is fragile. 

These panels are big (1.6M X 1M) so the only 2 places for them are the front cabin roof and the back cabin roof. 

So is there any alternative way to get the panels onto the boat roof, I was thinking maybe there is some super strong industrial glue or even some sort of metal wire rope that anchors it at 4 points. 

I have no clue how I am going to do this so open to any suggestions. 

Here is the panels I have bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282164412810 2X 250w

Thanks Tara 
    • By ditchcrawler
      This has just come up on Facebook looking for money to fit solar panels https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/pillingslocksolar?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Yimbyprojectpage&utm_content=pillingslocksolar&utm_campaign=projectpage-share-owner&utm_term=ZWz4ZzmpP