Narrow boat sinks

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ask her if she has the landlord gas certificate, and for a copy if she say yes....

Good.

No mention in the CRT list posted by Alan in post 106 though.

Possibly because CRT don't require it, though the law does, so in the past did not consider it as their responsibility.  But if CRT are trying to get rid of 'illegal' renting out of boats, a gas safety cert is just another stick to beat the naughty boat owner with. 

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ask her if she has the landlord gas certificate, and for a copy if she say yes....

Good.

No mention in the CRT list posted by Alan in post 106 though.

I just chose the section relevant to the post I made.

There are 'dozens' of sections - here is another (the paperwork that should be given / shown to a hirer)

17.9 You must provide us with a copy of the following documents. Copies of these should also be available on board the Boat for inspection and for customer reference: 
17.9.1 an insurance certificate that shows you are insured for your business activity as required under clause 5 above 

17.9.2 confirmation that the Boat meets the Boat Safety Hire Boat requirements; or a Boat Safety Scheme Exemption Declaration as required under clause 4 above;              

17.9.3 a copy of your British Marine Federation Handover Audit  Certificate or a copy of your full Handover Procedure document. 

17.9.4   proof that your mooring provider is happy for you to operate your business from their site. Should this permission be withdrawn by the mooring operator we reserve the right to withdraw the Licence.  

17.9.5   a copy of your gas safety check record; 

Ok, just because you asked nicely :-) I have replied to her reply on FB (using my name so hopefully it won't be connected with CWDF )  and I have laid it on a bit thick with 

"Thanks, that sounds good. I heard about another boat which was hired out and sank and it transpired that it didn't have a licence or insurance for being rented out or a landlords gas safety certificate. I didn't know you needed these when a boat was hired out but apparently you do. I am a bit of a worrier   Could you perhaps confirm that your lovely boat has these special documents and not just ordinary licence and insurance. Sorry to be a nuisance. "

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ok, just because you asked nicely :-) I have replied to her reply on FB (using my name so hopefully it won't be connected with CWDF )  and I have laid it on a bit thick with 

"Thanks, that sounds good. I heard about another boat which was hired out and sank and it transpired that it didn't have a licence or insurance for being rented out or a landlords gas safety certificate. I didn't know you needed these when a boat was hired out but apparently you do. I am a bit of a worrier   Could you perhaps confirm that your lovely boat has these special documents and not just ordinary licence and insurance. Sorry to be a nuisance. "

I wonder if a certain boat owner is now googling terms like 'gas safety certificate' and 'hire boat licence'........................

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I suspect offering to provide food adds a whole new set of requirements too. Probably ones with more severe penalties for non-compliance than any of CRTs.

JP

You are so correct, having just read the requirements, including registration with the council, if I was renting out my boat, legally or otherwise there is no way I would provide meals, it's just too much trouble.

11 hours ago, haggis said:

Got a reply but not on the open FB page so she obviously doesn't want other potential customers to see it. She sent me a private message which said 

18198486_305792489852009_817379968822567
I do have a licence and insurance whuch I can show you. I dont however have the licence for self drive ehich I am working on at the moment. The criteria for the licence is very high and I have past the first hurdle. I anticipate the boat will be available middle of August. My boat is in top shape and well maintained so hopefully wont sink!

No mention of gas! 
I think I'll bow out now before she smells a large hairy rodent :-) 
haggis

On 21/07/2017 at 09:32, haggis said:

Got a reply but not on the open FB page so she obviously doesn't want other potential customers to see it. She sent me a private message which said 

I do have a licence and insurance whuch I can show you. I dont however have the licence for self drive ehich I am working on at the moment. The criteria for the licence is very high and I have past the first hurdle. I anticipate the boat will be available middle of August. My boat is in top shape and well maintained so hopefully wont sink!

No mention of gas! 
haggis

One way to avoid being the rodent would be to respond with a nice "Thanks for clarifying. Middle of August would suit me fine. Just let me know."

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

No mention of gas! 
haggis

has a licence and insurance but not necessarily the licence and insurance (valid for the context)

She obviously hasn't as many bookings as her FB page suggests as I have just had the following exchange of messages.

She said 

"So what would you like to do please. I have a few people waiting for when I get the lucence for self drive. Do you want me to put your name down when its ready please"

to which I  replied "Thank you for giving me info about your licence and insurance but I think I'll hold back just now. I'll perhaps look again later in the year and see if you have the proper documentation which allows you to hire your boat out."

haggis

10 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

What is this self drive lucence she talks of?

C&RT have a number of licences (in additional to he 'leisure licence') including;

Self Drive Holiday Boat

Self Drive Day Boat

Static Boat Hire

Skippered Passenger Boat

Skippered Hotel Boat

Work Boat

Etc, Etc

On 21/07/2017 at 10:24, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT have a number of licences (in additional to he 'leisure licence') including;

Self Drive Holiday Boat

Self Drive Day Boat

Static Boat Hire

Skippered Passenger Boat

Skippered Hotel Boat

Work Boat

Etc, Etc

This being the relevant one being, presumably. 

Earlier in the thread it is referred to as a "Static Letting Licence". I think it would be helpful if we can establish the correct name for the type of licence Air BnB type boatlords should have. Is it "Static Boat Hire", Static Letting Licence" or something else?

It clearly isn't 'self-drive', which might actually have a set higher standards to meet than the 'static hire' one.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Earlier in the thread it is referred to as a "Static Letting Licence". I think it would be helpful if we can establish the correct name for the type of licence Air BnB type boatlords should have. Is it "Static Boat Hire", Static Letting Licence" or something else?

It clearly isn't 'self-drive', which might actually have a set higher standards to meet than the 'static hire' one.

Cut & Paste from C&RT

Static Letting   

Letting of any boat (that has a Home Mooring)  for long term or short term accommodation purposes.   Static Letting may include, but is not limited to letting a room on a boat, or letting of a whole boat, or letting of multiple rooms on a boat. 
Licence reference "SL"

Self-drive Holiday Hire

Any boat with overnight accommodation let out without a skipper or crew for periods of 12 hours or more. This includes timeshare, boats owned by social clubs for the use of their members and families and shared ownership boats that fall outside the standard private licensing criteria2
Licence ref "SDHH "

The boat owner is also responsible for any planning permission or 'change of use required :

17.11   You are responsible for obtaining all statutory consents and including planning  permission and are required: 
17.11.1 not to carry out any operational development or material change of use requiring planning permission on our land (which includes our water) unless planning permission has been obtained for that operational development or change of use.

17.11.2 to comply with the terms of any planning permission or other third party consent applicable to our land (which includes our water);

17.11.3 not to apply for any planning permission or certificate of lawful use in respect of our land (which includes our water) without our prior written consent.  

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And if she hasn't are we all going to run round and lynch her. Why not just report the Add to CRT, I am sure they will know if she is licensed and take the appropriate action.

On 21/07/2017 at 10:53, ditchcrawler said:

And if she hasn't are we all going to run round and lynch her. Why not just report the Add to CRT, I am sure they will know if she is licensed and take the appropriate action.

I suspect the persons receiving your report would say thank you nicely, then it would go straight in the bin!

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Why would you suspect that?

In the past, I have warned people on here about sharing their plans (which contravened C&RTs regulations) on an open forum. Later I got a PM saying CRT had been in touch because of what they posted here

CRT monitor social media

Richard

Edited by RLWP

On 21/07/2017 at 11:04, Dave Payne said:

Why would you suspect that?

Because it is trivia and CRT staff hopefully have bigger fish to fry.

(Person rings up with unsubstantiated suspicion that a boat does not have correct class of licence. What would YOU do with it when you work in a busy CRT office?) 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because it is trivia and CRT staff hopefully have bigger fish to fry.

(Person rings up with unsubstantiated suspicion that a boat does not have correct class of licence. What would YOU do with it when you work in a busy CRT office?) 

Trivia?

Not have the correct licence, boat safety and insurance?

Ill cancel all mine then in that case and save some cash.

On 21/07/2017 at 11:09, Dave Payne said:

Trivia?

Not have the correct licence, boat safety and insurance?

Ill cancel all mine then in that case and save some cash.

I've just emailed CRT about you. Let us know what happens next!

Anyway how do you KNOW she does not have the correct licence, boat safety and insurance? What evidence do you have? If she hasn't actually rented it out, her current licence etc are fine.