Narrow boat sinks

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Another crowdfunding page raising money for a stupid person, why must people bale you out when you cut corners in life.

According to her Instagram site she might not have been the stupid person  'What makes it an even harder pill to swallow is that my home is now on the bottom of the canal because of someone else's totally reckless behaviour

That said I do agree with your sentiment somewhat.  Over here the mindset seems to be if you make a lifestyle choice not to have insurance and your house is blown away in a tropical cyclone, or washed away in a flood then the council should pick up the bill!!!  

22 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Another crowdfunding page raising money for a stupid person, why must people bale you out when you cut corners in life.

When my boat sank, no end of people rallied around and helped me out, without asking my for any money - including professionals who could have charged £1,000s. Crowdfunder is simple a modern way of organising that. 

I feel very happy for you that you've managed to reach such a ripe age without making any stupid mistakes or needing anyone's help to rectify them. Or maybe that's not true and you're just being nasty about someone who is in trouble.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Fully comp insurance and she would have been fine.

Thats the lesson here.

Actually she wouldn't have been ok, not unless she took out hire boat insurance. 

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Fully comp insurance and she would have been fine.

Thats the lesson here.

Not if she rented out the boat without renting being allowed on her policy.  

Added - Great minds think alike...........

I also wonder if her handover included warnings about replacing the weedhatch..................

Edited by Chewbacka

12 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

According to her Instagram site she might not have been the stupid person  'What makes it an even harder pill to swallow is that my home is now on the bottom of the canal because of someone else's totally reckless behaviour

That said I do agree with your sentiment somewhat.  Over here the mindset seems to be if you make a lifestyle choice not to have insurance and your house is blown away in a tropical cyclone, or washed away in a flood then the council should pick up the bill!!!  

Was it someone else's reckless behaviour -- or her own reckless behaviour in renting out her boat for a bit of extra cash?

2 minutes ago, hounddog said:

When my boat sank, no end of people rallied around and helped me out, without asking my for any money - including professionals who could have charged £1,000s. Crowdfunder is simple a modern way of organising that. 

I feel very happy for you that you've managed to reach such a ripe age without making any stupid mistakes or needing anyone's help to rectify them. Or maybe that's not true and you're just being nasty about someone who is in trouble.

Have you actually read it?

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Have you actually read it?

Yes. Like I say, I'm really happy for you that you've made no mistakes or bad judgement calls and needed help in your life.

And by the way, when my boat sank it was as a result of my avoidable stupidity.

Edited by hounddog

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

Not if she rented out the boat without renting being allowed on her policy.  

Plus of course, unless the boat was licenced as a 'hire boat' and had a BSSC to the 2002 standards (not the 2013 leisure boat standards) the insurance would be invalid anyway, as the boat did not meet its lawful safety standards.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, adam1uk said:

Was it someone else's reckless behaviour -- or her own reckless behaviour in renting out her boat for a bit of extra cash?

Good point.  

This has been around various boaters Facebook sites for a while including that it was I understand advertised on Airbnb and also for long term rent previously. Sounds like a business that has gone wrong with no license or insurance. Having said that the current new rental license (launched by CRT in the middle of the licensing consultation?!) does little to protect renters or boatlords in this increasing market.

1 minute ago, Tuscan said:

.............was I understand advertised on Airbnb and also for long term rent previously. Sounds like a business that has gone wrong with no license or insurance.

I have no sympathy - it is boaters (I use the term loosely) like this that cause many of the problems and generate 'rules' & 'T&Cs' that impact on others.

• Greenie 3

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm curious about how it can be both her home and rented out at the same time to the man who was "really nice and charming".

From what I can gather from various other sites and forums, she rents it out on Air BnB and when she has a booking she stays with her partner.

6 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

From what I can gather from various other sites and forums, she rents it out on Air BnB and when she has a booking she stays with her partner.

Ah I see. That makes sense, I expect a lot of people do that. 

Even so, a lot of people also think being a landlord is money for old rope which it is, mostly. But the problems when they come, tend to be big and expensive. As this lady is finding out.

1 hour ago, JJPHG said:

So she isn't stupid as well:

Rents out a boat, presumably without a hire boat licence.

Rents out a boat without insurance.

Rents out a boat to someone who paid no deposit.

Rents out a boat to someone she hasn't checked was capable of looking after a boat.

No sympathy from me.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Actually she wouldn't have been ok, not unless she took out hire boat insurance. 

You are correct, maybe the real lesson here is as has been said, don't rent out your home for a bit of extra cash.

19 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I can see why some might not be inclined to help this poor woman, I agree what she did was beyond stupid, but to have no sympathy?  Someone has lost their home and pretty much everything they own, even if it's their own fault how can you not feel sorry for them?  

But is it her home if she was renting it out?

37 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I can see why some might not be inclined to help this poor woman, I agree what she did was beyond stupid, but to have no sympathy?  Someone has lost their home and pretty much everything they own, even if it's their own fault how can you not feel sorry for them?  

Sympathy yes but perhaps not enough to contribute in this particular case.