Hire boat stuck at Castlefield

Chris T

Featured Posts

At Castlefield Basin in Manchester yesterday, a Claymoore boat was stuck, having seemingly ignored at least 3 signs saying "shallow water do not navigate".  They tried poles and were attempting to rock the boat, but it was going nowhere.  Wonder if they are still there or have been towed off.   stuckboat.jpg.7817c98f38ab6d2b57e6466c74a64dd7.jpg   

There was a sign in the water just before the bridge and another that looked like it had once been a sign but was now just a piece of wood, but there are 2 on the bridge that you can see in the photo. 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

They got a long way, Have the signs fallen down, I cant see them and they were at a jaunty angle when we were there about 3 weeks ago

Further than I've ever dared:)

To be fair, those signs on the bridge could easily be missed from water level. The signs that were actually in the water were very clear but, as has been said, were unlikely to survive impact from winding boats. Perhaps they would be best positioned suspended from the bridge.

wow those signs are big....

not.

i did see some in the actual water 2 weeks back, and thought to myself....those are directly in the way of any boat trying to wind at the end of the arm... so it wouldn't surprise me if they're under water by now.

32 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Not absolutely sure that I have placed the location correctly, but is this it: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Manchester/@53.4741358,-2.2532772,104a,38.2y,180h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a4d4c5226f5db:0xd9be143804fe6baa!8m2!3d53.4807593!4d-2.2426305

If so, it shows moored boats . . . 

Yes, but not on the arm in question. The bridge adjacent to the A56 is over the arm where the boat was stuck.

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

Yes, but not on the arm in question. The bridge adjacent to the A56 is over the arm where the boat was stuck.

Going by the scenery, especially the brick building and tower, it looks as if the boat is here: 53.474033, -2.252925 - or do you have a closer estimate?

The person in the photo appears to be using the pole as a lever against the side of the boat; not a good idea I think, as it might snap. In their shoes I think I'd be either pushing against the bank to try to move the boat out into hopefully deeper water, or at the bow pushing against the bridge, with the engine in reverse. Rocking the boat can help. But ultimately if well stuck they'd need a tow, from someone with a decent dolly and a proper towing line.

47 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Going by the scenery, especially the brick building and tower, it looks as if the boat is here: 53.474033, -2.252925 - or do you have a closer estimate?

I can't see it but at one time boats did moor down that arm. I guess it's just silted up over time.

2 hours ago, DeanS said:

wow those signs are big....

not.

i did see some in the actual water 2 weeks back, and thought to myself....those are directly in the way of any boat trying to wind at the end of the arm... so it wouldn't surprise me if they're under water by now.

Saw your boats while we were up thereabout 3 weeks ago and yes the little posts had been hit a few times

This happens all the time. 

The Christmas / New Year floods caused a lot of silt to be washed down through the Medlock into the Bridgewater which has massively reduced the depth in that area. I now struggle to get Ariel anywhere near the sides and I struggle to wind at the end there.

• 4 weeks later...

In the photo he was going astern judging by the swill if his mooring ropes tied together were long enough the 2 guys in black on the bank could have proved useful on the bridge with the rope tied on to the bridge & pulling  possibly not long enough lengths of rope

Edited by X Alan W